COVID, recessions, earthquakes...

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Colossal

COVID, recessions, earthquakes...

Post by Colossal »

Hello Friends,

I hope you all are staying safe and healthy in these crazy times. We had a rather sizable earthquake this morning, here in Salt Lake City. There have been a lot of smaller aftershocks as well with a couple of decent ones in between. While I grew up in southern California and am no stranger to large quakes, today's was the first for some of my neighbors. Everyone's nerves are a little on edge. Just had another little shaker too as I write this :shock:. There have been 40 since the 5.7 this morning.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: COVID, recessions, earthquakes...

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Colossal wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:11 pm Hello Friends,

I hope you all are staying safe and healthy in these crazy times. We had a rather sizable earthquake this morning, here in Salt Lake City. There have been a lot of smaller aftershocks as well with a couple of decent ones in between. While I grew up in southern California and am no stranger to large quakes, today's was the first for some of my neighbors. Everyone's nerves are a little on edge. Just had another little shaker too as I write this :shock:. There have been 40 since the 5.7 this morning.
I grew up in Utah, we did have a few smaller ones, but Utah has like probably one of the top 5 biggest faults in the US if I recall. So there is a very long past due huge one coming. The faultline runs along the mountain base and all the super wealthy homes up there are going to be the first ones to dissapear in to the fault when it goes :D

I have had a lot of comments from family today that they definitely got a scare and have had consistent aftershocks.

Take care and stay safe... from all forms of how 2020 is shaping up to destroy everything ;D

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

As soon as I posted, another one hit. Watching the USGS live update...

Not really a fun day :|
xtian

Post by xtian »

What else you got? In CA, we got quakes, fires, drought AND flash floods, occasional twister, and Left Coast prices. We win!
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

xtian wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:36 pm What else you got? In CA, we got quakes, fires, drought AND flash floods, occasional twister, and Left Coast prices. We win!
You guys can have it! I got out of CA 21 years ago and haven't looked back. I live through the Whittier-Narrows and Northridge quakes. I definitely do NOT miss the quakes, but, here we are... :roll: A 4.6 just rolled through...

I'd pour myself a stiff drink, if I had any booze in the house.
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

Stay safe guys. It's all about Covid-19 over here! People panic buying everything. In fact I think the main issue here is the people panicking rather than the virus!!!
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Littlewyan wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:16 pm Stay safe guys. It's all about Covid-19 over here! People panic buying everything. In fact I think the main issue here is the people panicking rather than the virus!!!
Thanks, man. You guys stay away from the Corona Crazies too! People cleared off the shelves here too in short order. I did buy a few extra items when the first case in Washington was announced. I'm glad I did because the panic buying set in shortly after. Because of the earthquakes, we have been told to stay home for at least 48 hours (no problem!). I'm crossing my fingers that Mother Earth has sufficiently vented her anger and will go back to sleep, but not counting on it.
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

Yes lets all stay safe. Good thing we can still solder in our basements !

I saw pictures of the canals in Venice were all the water is becoming cleaner and the fish are starting to swim in them again. I guess that is one positive amid all these negatives. Mother nature must be resetting herself.

Cheers!

Guy
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Guy77 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:52 pm Yes lets all stay safe. Good thing we can still solder in our basements !

I saw pictures of the canals in Venice were all the water is becoming cleaner and the fish are starting to swim in them again. I guess that is one positive amid all these negatives. Mother nature must be resetting herself.

Cheers!

Guy
I saw that as well and what a great thing. Also, with everyone staying home, ground level emissions and pollutants from commuting in major cities will decline.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

I've have had ALL my work until July cancelled!!!! no compensation , Nothing. so I'll be 6 months without ANY income without any gov help.

every pub , theatre , venue, studio has been shut down without an end date.

M
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

norburybrook wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:26 pm I've have had ALL my work until July cancelled!!!! no compensation , Nothing. so I'll be 6 months without ANY income without any gov help.

every pub , theatre , venue, studio has been shut down without an end date.

M
I'm very sorry to hear that, Marcus. Terrible news. I hope things go as smoothly as they can for you. All of the pubs and restaurants are closed and public events are canceled here as well. We are on lockdown until further notice. I am on call for work but telecommuting for the time being.
Winder

Post by Winder »

Ebola, SARS, MERS, Swine, H1N1 ... is COVID-19 really more dangerous or is there just so much friggin' information pumped out by the second that it overloads the senses. More reporting, more statistics, more "experts" and the godawful pace of the useless media who are driving the current panic. Shelves were emptied here too ... fortunately, I had some hurricane supplies left from last season.

Very sorry to hear about folks with current/direct impat to income. This stuff is serious, but just because we CAN know more than before doesn't make it that much different than previous events, IMO. This is nearly the realization of Zombie Hordes without the actual eating of flesh. Who knows, the next time someone thinks "hey, do you think I can eat that bat?"
xtian

Post by xtian »

Winder wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:50 pmis COVID-19 really more dangerous
Yes, actually, yes. Do your own research at CDC and WHO.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Winder

Post by Winder »

xtian wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:02 am
Winder wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:50 pmis COVID-19 really more dangerous
Yes, actually, yes. Do your own research at CDC and WHO.
Actually, I have, but I think you've missed my point. Sorry. It's difficult to convey things like this in writing.
bmx

Post by bmx »

Colossal wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:11 pm Hello Friends,

Hey Collossal!
I'm in Salt Lake as well. That quake made the house feel like it was made of Jell-O. Can't help but feel pretty lucky, considering what is going on in the world
Best wishes to all,
Ethan