COVID, recessions, earthquakes...

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

erwin_ve

Re: COVID, recessions, earthquakes...

Post by erwin_ve »

In the Netherlands also partial lockdown.
All my gigs cancelled. With my guitarschool started Skype video lesson. I have akind of DJ setup :D
A fair number of clients reacted positive on this way of guitar lessons.
I'm nor sure yet how much I lose in income but estimated is quarter/ half.
Our government is offering help for companies like mine, I know some colleagues that lost their intire income and will depent on that government offer.

On the other hand, if you see whats happening in Italy that is a wise decision. Death rates pick up quickly if the health care is overloaded.

Stay safe guys and do something else than watching the news. I spoke to several people who have a jagged feeling and that is normal under the circumstances but you have to keep your mind busy with something else on the long term.

Erwin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

erwin_ve wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:54 pm In the Netherlands also partial lockdown.
All my gigs cancelled. With my guitarschool started Skype video lesson. I have akind of DJ setup :D
Our government is offering help for companies like mine, I know some colleagues that lost their intire income and will depent on that government offer.

On the other hand, if you see whats happening in Italy that is a wise decision. Death rates pick up quickly if the health care is overloaded.

Stay safe guys and do something else than watching the news. I spoke to several people who have a jagged feeling and that is normal under the circumstances but you have to keep your mind busy with something else on the long term.

Erwin
I've lost 100% of my income and the government are giving me zero help.

stay well folks

M
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

norburybrook wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:19 pm
erwin_ve wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:54 pm In the Netherlands also partial lockdown.

Erwin
I've lost 100% of my income and the government are giving me zero help.

stay well folks

M
Sorry to hear that Marcus. In the Netherlands we initially had the same situation. Our minister of finance even stated small companies choose to have that kind of risc which started a shitstorm and that changed things...
Roe

Post by Roe »

Lockdown in Norway too and the currency collapsed. I'm glad I'm a state employee
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

erwin_ve wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:54 pm

Erwin
Yes Italy is getting hit hard. Fortunately my cousins in the south live on farms passed down from many generations and eat what they grow and dont have much contact with the big city.
They live on a mountain side very remote place.
We talked to them and they are all doing fine.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Latest on Covid 19
Watch "Honest Government Ad | Coronavirus: Flatten The Curve" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/Hks6Nq7g6P4
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
boots

Post by boots »

There was a good sized earthquake in southern Idaho yesterday. From a geological point of view, the quakes in SLC and Idaho just indicate that the Earth is readjusting its trousers to get more comfortable. From any other viewpoint, it makes us wonder if the apocalypse is at hand, with the virus and all the other weird stuff going on.

We are mostly staying home here in SW Colorado, only making occasional trips to the store. We expect things to heat up quite a bit in the next few weeks though, as the virus comes our way. There are already about 20 confirmed cases in our county, but that number is expected to increase rapidly. Ugh.

In the meantime, I am slowly putting together an amp. It will be something along the lines of an 18 watt (EL84) with a JCM800 style preamp. I have become curious about the whole cold clipper idea lately.

Here's to everyone staying safe and healthy.
Don't you boys know any NICE songs?
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

Fracking may well account for the previously unknown earthquakes in the area, as I understand.
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

I live close to the Idaho quake epicenter. It measured 6.5 on the Richter and was quite the ride! Not so violent as the CA Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989, but I'm sure my kids--and dogs--won't soon forget it. There are memorable moments, and then there are earthquakes. We didn't feel the SLC quake that caused the "Moroni mic-drop", but this particular quake we had was reported even up to British Columbia and as far south as Nevada. A local was showshoeing back to his truck across Redfish Lake up in Stanley when the quake hit. Stanley gets colder than Antarctica on certain days, so Redfish Lake will ice over more than a foot thick or thicker, it's pretty reliable. Then you add a quake and all bets are off. He said the lake sheet shifted, cracked and then broke under his feet. I can only imagine that kind of alarm. Of all things not to happen while crossing a frozen lake, OMG! Back in 89 with the LP quake, I was in my living room playing bass through my Dad's Sherwood stereo receiver. He didn't allow me to buy an amp until I was serious enough about it and was in a band. Our house had plate glass windows that resonated nicely on certain notes, it made me feel like I was rocking out. That day, I hit a particular chord and the windows started to shake, then constantly, and then on a level I'd never felt before. At first, I was completely stoked that I might have blown out my Dad's stereo (sorry, Dad), but I looked at the receiver and the power was out. I looked at the hallway and it was writhing like a serpent, doors opening and closing on their own. Mom ran into the room and yelled, "Earthquake!" My brother arrived on the scene in the hallway and let out a knee-jerk, pre-pubescent, "SHIT!" Now we get a laugh about that whenever we talk about it. We rode that out, felt some aftershocks, and of course heard about the damage. Thankfully, this one wasn't as bad. But with all this COVID-19 and economic shutdown stuff going on, I'm about to place a bet on zombies or creeping death, I can't decide which.

Regarding COVID-19 data I would recommend going to the source. The mainstream media will never let a crisis go to waste. You can find reliable, current data on the CDC and WHO websites, and I would also recommend watching the White House daily COVID-19 press conferences. They are very informative and revealing. It doesn't matter what your political leanings may be, there are several things that are clear. One, there are a lot of people working tirelessly to formulate a way to treat COVID-19. There are as many spin artists trying to support their own agendas, and most of them are anti-American. China only started reporting decreased cases of COVID after they kicked out the international journalists. Then the movie came out with smiling doctors taking off their face masks and "all is well". Well, if anyone believes that, I've got some news for you. COVID-19 is as serious as a person's immunosuppressive condition. The buzz started that it only affected older, more risk-prone individuals, but that is only the majority. The COVID death age range is wide--only the 0-9 years-of-age group has yet to join the casualty ranks. The epidemiology of the SARS-Cov2 virus, or capability and method of successful transmission, is about 3X as effective at infecting new hosts as influenza. THAT IS BAD. However, the majority of patients who get it will feel sickness, endure the disease to a variable extent, and then recover. The difficulty with SARS-Cov2 lies in how stealthily it will infect people without producing symptoms and maintain its high transmissability. It doesn't care who you are, it will simply and indiscriminantly jump from host to host, taking names whenever it can. So the shelter in place orders out there now are simply an effort to mitigate the spread of the virus. There is no doubt, it sucks. It really sucks. My business has taken a 70% hit and all I can do is plan on building amps to pass the time. And, truthfully, that part I am loving, man! Thanks to all who have helped me so far, many of you. It gets me through times when I embark on Mission Tango Papa 9.0 and there is NO JOY. GOD, I want to squeeze some Charmin!

The best thing to do in times like these are 1) BUILD AMPS, 2) SPREAD THE LOVE, 3)HANG IN THERE, THERE'S ALWAYS AN OUT AND AN END TO BULLSHIT, AND 4...

Well, you'll figure it out. You're smart.
Just plug it in, man.
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

So I got ill last week and heard today I tested positive for COVID19. Feeling better already but I need to stay in quarantaine till sunday.
Trying out some things for my steel string singer... :D
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

erwin_ve wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:41 am So I got ill last week and heard today I tested positive for COVID19. Feeling better already but I need to stay in quarantaine till sunday.
Trying out some things for my steel string singer... :D
Glad you're feeling better. Enjoy your 'free' time :D

M
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

:o Good to hear that you are on the mend, Erwin.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Glad you're feeling better, get well fast!

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Congrats, always good to hear survival stories.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Thanks guys! For me it was a ordinary flu, testing was mandatory as I had symtomps. I honestly didnt think it was Covid 19 until I heard the test result.
Today online guitar lessons with some eager students:-)