How do you organize your component supply?

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ViperDoc

How do you organize your component supply?

Post by ViperDoc »

I'd like a better way to organize and store my components: resistors, caps, switches, diodes, etc. I started by re-using a kit organizer, but I don't care for how most plastic organizers have non-ideal dimensions, and seem to require that you bend leads to make components fit. I have a decent amount of resistors kept in their factory zip-loc miniature bags, but I've got a dumpster dive happening now. It seems some kind of box would do best to protect against damage and the dreaded spill. What have you found that works best for caps and resistors?

Thanks.
Just plug it in, man.
turbofeedus

Re: How do you organize your component supply?

Post by turbofeedus »

ViperDoc wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:23 am I'd like a better way to organize and store my components: resistors, caps, switches, diodes, etc. I started by re-using a kit organizer, but I don't care for how most plastic organizers have non-ideal dimensions, and seem to require that you bend leads to make components fit. I have a decent amount of resistors kept in their factory zip-loc miniature bags, but I've got a dumpster dive happening now. It seems some kind of box would do best to protect against damage and the dreaded spill. What have you found that works best for caps and resistors?

Thanks.
I have a long term vs. short term organization system. I use system loosely because it's just a bunch of drawers and boxes.
The main purpose is to make parts I use frequently very accessible, and once-in-a-while parts stored away to maximize working space.
So I have the akro-mills style small parts organizers, a wall of those. They hold common resistor/capacitor values and type. There's also organizers for commonly used transistors, switches, hardware, etc.
This is my short term/high turnover/frequently accessed parts storage.
Then I have 15 qt. storage bins with general terms like "illumination" or "silicon semiconductors". They are stored on one of those metal freestanding shelving units from the big box hardware stores.
I do have a sort of in-between storage, which are the flat organizers like the sortimo racks. Those hold small parts where I need to see a bunch at once; metal hardware, terminal strips, sorted transistors, etc.
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

I have an Akro-Mils style hardware organizer, thanks for the recommendation. I like your need-based approach. It would be ideal to find something with more shallow compartments, and with further divisions. I looked at bead organizers in craft stores, some of them looked potentially promising. I've seen some use test tubes. Not sure I want to go there.
Just plug it in, man.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

I use 8 plastic or metal cabinets of various sized drawers stacked around the bench, with one gallon re-purposed protein powder jars for larger hardware.
1605553876503886046577383968963.jpg
16055539918264856984253284299341.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by TUBEDUDE on Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
thetragichero

Post by thetragichero »

i have a few of these, purchased for about twenty bucks apiece (they've got other brands that may be cheaper): https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-1 ... /205847797
maybe not ideal, but i have separate bins for filter caps, smaller value electro caps for cathode bypass, coupling caps, cement resistors. other resistors are sorted into bins by 0-999 ohms, 1k-9k9, 10k-99k, 100k-999k, and 1M+. works fairly well expect when i don't put them back in the right spot and use 2k2 bias feed resistors instead of 220k
best thing is to pick a system and stick to it
PRR wrote: Plotting loadlines is only for the truly desperate, or terminally bored.
chief mushroom cloud

Post by chief mushroom cloud »

I use these, individual drawers labelled w/ PTouch
https://akro-mils.com/Products/Types/Po ... c-Cabinets
Don't overthink it. Just drink it.
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

6 quart Sterilite bins are about the same width as small parts bags from Mouser. Not the best cap storage, but great for resistors/diodes. I lucked out on finding a lot of other small parts organizers at a thrift store.
IMG_1060.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

I appreciate your ideas, guys, thanks. I've been amp-wrecking (my level of building at the moment) in a makeshift space in my garage. Not too shabby for what it is, but I like the dedicated back wall organizer set up. Easy pickins and well organized. Nice.
Just plug it in, man.
mabinogeon

Post by mabinogeon »

I use Sterilite containers and label them:
containers.jpg
As for the individual components, I just leave them in the baggies they come in from Mouser and MojoTone and wherever else.