Warning notice: isopropyl alcool

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ChopSauce

Warning notice: isopropyl alcool

Post by ChopSauce »

For what's worth:

Having discussed with my spouse, which used to be a scientist in a french research institute, about isopropyl alcool, I have been surprised to learn than what I felt was a more biological friendly form of alcool was qualified as highly toxic agent, to be used under strict safety measures (laminar aspiration, etc) in her job... :!:

So yes, it appears that even though there might remain a few questions to be debated(1) the isopropyl alcool seems(2) to qualify as a carcinogen, while ethanol does not but by being absorbed as a drink.

So stay safe and don't drink too much... :wink:
___

(1) https://www.answers.com/Q/Does_rubbing_ ... use_cancer

(2) https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-ca ... ogens.html
tony hunt

Re: Warning notice: isopropyl alcool

Post by tony hunt »

My understanding is that the risk is in manufacture. Not in normal usage.
But as a mere user, I stand to be corrected.
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

What you wrote is not what I understood from reading the above links, yet the "risk" seems to come from the acids used to synthetise it. NB: 70% alcohol means 30% of other things.

My own belief is that if the International Agency for Research on Cancer recognises one product to be possibly cancerogen then it is a serious hazard!
Alnico

Post by Alnico »

ChopSauce wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:44 pm What you wrote is not what I understood from reading the above links, yet the "risk" seems to come from the acids used to synthetise it. NB: 70% alcohol means 30% of other things.
The 30% "other things" would generally be water, if you're talking about 70% isopropyl alcohol . It's quite reasonable to take precautions with IPA - wear gloves, ensure good ventilation etc. but as solvents go, it's pretty mild.
chief mushroom cloud

Post by chief mushroom cloud »

guess I'll stick to carburetor cleaner
:lol:
Don't overthink it. Just drink it.
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Carburetor cleaner ?

:lol:

To each one his own practice. I'll personally will continue to use the ethanol I also use to degrease before welding, even though I am aware that it contains some methanol.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

My French alcohol is from Paulliac and is generally regarded as safe with typical exposure. It is pricy however.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Even better... :wink:
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

TUBEDUDE wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:07 am My French alcohol is from Paulliac and is generally regarded as safe with typical exposure. It is pricy however.
I favour a supplier from just over the border, Brasserie d'Achouffe :lol:
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Mines another Westvleteren Abbey.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

I thought all abbey ales used open pollination of natural yeasts as a show of faith in God.
I also was surprised at the use of several sweeteners. Keeping up with the times I guess. Hopefully they won't be making chocolate walnut gooseberry saisons next.

In the beer category perennial favorite Wild Leap just released Alpha Abstraction 15.
And Orpheus Brewing's Transmigration of Souls is worth whatever you have to do to get it.
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

TUBEDUDE wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:07 am My French alcohol is from Paulliac and is generally regarded as safe with typical exposure. It is pricy however.
The go-to brand in USA is Everclear. In many states it's available as 95% ethyl distilled from corn. I call it dehydrated vodka. Just as covid started to become a thing, it all disappeared from liquor store shelves, people using it for disinfecting surfaces and home made antiseptic formulas. Besides degreasing it's also good for removing "magic marker" and also dissolves some label stickum. Heck, a little ethyl, some vinegar, a little bit of dish detergent and a lot of water makes a great window cleaner. Blue dye optional.

There are a few Polish 95% ethyl brands, generally cheaper than Everclear in USA, at least around here. Under $20 for 750 ml. Polmos is one for instance, and I have most of a bottle of Bak's Spirytus in the pantry. Curiously there were plenty bottles of these available after panicked covid warriors emptied the shelves of Everclear. Do they think the Polish product is inferior? I'm sure viruses & bacteria don't care. :laughing: I'll bet those germs would be much impressed to encounter a fine French product though. Me, I'll stick with Armagnac for drinking, thanks very much. :D
down technical blind alleys . . .
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

In my youth I had several encounters with Everclear and Golden Grain. I prefer bourbon but mainly lower alcohol Beveridges. Craft brews and rich reds, Paulliacs and Pomerols, on rare occasions.