Richard Thompson Memoir

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

martin manning

Richard Thompson Memoir

Post by martin manning »

RT is getting notice all over with his recently released memoir "Beeswing"... Guardian, Times, NYT, LAT, Rolling Stone, NPR, etc. Heard a good interview on the Radio Times podcast out of WHYY Philadelphia, too. Truly a great songwriter and talented guitar player with 50+ years in who has taken the time to write at least some of it down. The book focuses on his Fairport Convention years '67-'71 and a few years afterward, up to '75. For some reason he lives in New Jersey now.
norburybrook

Re: Richard Thompson Memoir

Post by norburybrook »

a bit of a British institution :) I was booked to be in his electric trio on bass a few years ago for a big tour but due to logistical and contractual reasons I couldn't do it in the end which was a big disappointment as I've been a bit of a fan for years and it was a great gig.

He's a Muslim now so there's no drink around backstage anymore :) Interesting character though .

m
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

norburybrook wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:07 pm a bit of a British institution :) I was booked to be in his electric trio on bass a few years ago for a big tour but due to logistical and contractual reasons I couldn't do it in the end which was a big disappointment as I've been a bit of a fan for years and it was a great gig.

He's a Muslim now so there's no drink around backstage anymore :) Interesting character though .
Too bad you missed it. I think I saw him on that tour. At one point they broke into a Hendrix tune and more than did justice to it. In the interview I mentioned above he says he's champing at the bit to get back on the road again.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

martin manning wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:41 pm
norburybrook wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:07 pm a bit of a British institution :) I was booked to be in his electric trio on bass a few years ago for a big tour but due to logistical and contractual reasons I couldn't do it in the end which was a big disappointment as I've been a bit of a fan for years and it was a great gig.

Too bad you missed it. I think I saw him on that tour. At one point they broke into a Hendrix tune and more than did justice to it. In the interview I mentioned above he says he's champing at the bit to get back on the road again.
:) tell me about it :) I'm now into my second year without gigging!

M
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

norburybrook wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:21 pm...tell me about it :) I'm now into my second year without gigging!
I was thinking more about his age than the difficult situation we find ourselves in. At 72 he's still enthusiastic about going out and touring.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

indeed :) I'm working with guys later in the year (hopefully) who are all approaching 80!!! and still raring to go. Manfred Mann :) they will celebrate their 60th Anniversary in 2022.

M
CraigGa

Post by CraigGa »

norburybrook wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:19 pm indeed :) I'm working with guys later in the year (hopefully) who are all approaching 80!!! and still raring to go. Manfred Mann :) they will celebrate their 60th Anniversary in 2022.

M
My first ever gig was Manfred Mann's Earth Band in 1976 and he was still surprisingly sprightly when I saw them in Holmfirth a couple of years ago.

I'll be there if you're touring the UK.

Craig
Thinking about my second build.