Is this worth $250?

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Phil_S

Is this worth $250?

Post by Phil_S »

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/msg/d/ ... 31967.html
I wasn't looking for a project, but I'm a sucker for Gibson amps and this one is local. What's the group think on this one? I give it 9.9/10 on cosmetics. The "n" is partially missing on the logo. The rest is anyone's guess.
sluckey

Re: Is this worth $250?

Post by sluckey »

I'd pay $250 for it.
xtian

Post by xtian »

I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

I know the circuit. I have a GA17-RVT, which is basically the 6AQ5 version of the amp without the choke and the other weirdness with the OA2 and the 6FQ7. I don't see how I can diagnose the problem quickly if I were to see it. It passes sound, so I'm thinking it needs a cap job, other maintenance and tubes replaced. These things are all manageable. The problem I'm concerned about is if any of the iron isn't in good order. A replacement OT may be impossible to source at a reasonable price. MM sells one for $180, though I'm thinking no one knows what it sounded like back in the 1960's so I might find a suitable Hammond or other generic if needed. If the LDR based optoisolator for the tremolo is toast, there is no substitute available, so it has to be hand rolled. I might take a chance. I'll contact the seller and see if it's still available.
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

There will be workarounds / fixes for everything.
If a transformer is bad, Hammond should have something of a closely similar spec, from one or another of their ranges.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

It turns out this amp is worthless because the person who posted the ad on CL isn't responding. :(
Really, it's so rude. He should either remove the ad or let me know. I don't think it's too much to expect. Apparently, it is.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Phil_S wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:52 pm It turns out this amp is worthless because the person who posted the ad on CL isn't responding. :(
Really, it's so rude. He should either remove the ad or let me know. I don't think it's too much to expect. Apparently, it is.
The seller has shown his true qualities and behavior like this is the rule these days, not the exception. You probably dodged getting ripped off.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Colossal wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:15 pm ... You probably dodged getting ripped off.
I suppose so. It's a good ending. Thank you for putting a good spin on it.