Cleaning out the basement - do I have too much stuff?

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Phil_S

Cleaning out the basement - do I have too much stuff?

Post by Phil_S »

Now that I am semi-retired -- I don't work (for pay) every day and when I do, I'm billing at what I think is a decent hourly rate. Well, the main point is that I have more "free" time (meaning I can't bill someone) than I used to. This has led me down the path of various projects. I just finished a new woodworking bench. (Pictures.) It is variation on the Moravian Workbench. Look for Will Myers video on youtube if you are interested. I built it outside and assembled in the den. (Wife just loved that.) It goes in the basement. Which gets to the topic of today's post.

The basement is a terrible mess. After putting the bench in the basement, I finally had to admit it was time to clean out the basement. Also, as I'm sure all of you know, wood working and electronics don't mix very well. All the electronics stuff needs to go into dustproof bins and closed boxes.

After two days of stacking my crap in the living room (closest to the basement steps, wife agreed to it,) I think I've moved all of the unmounted speakers and found I've got about 10 of them. Most are low power models. I'm pretty sure I've never tried some of them. I found a couple of (real) Jensen speakers P10Q and C10R. There's a pre-Celestion Rola 12, and a pair of Celestion Tube 10 G10E-30.

I still have a few more days to go on the clean up. I can see several unpunched chassis, and lots of amp parts. I don't know if I'll build another amp. It's been a few years and the last one is still on the bench about 90% finished. I'd like to finish that one.

I'm intending, for now, to get rid of old business records and other non-hobby stuff to make some room, and then organize and stack what I have.

The real question, which may never get answered is, do I have too much stuff? :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xtian

Re: Cleaning out the basement - do I have too much stuff?

Post by xtian »

Woodworking bench: NICE.

Too much stuff? No comment.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

xtian wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:42 pm Woodworking bench: NICE.

Too much stuff? No comment.
Thank you on the bench. It was made with about $25 work of cull lumber from the big box store, mostly crappy 2x4's and 2x6's. When you are cutting them short, cull lumber works fine. The top has a mill stamp date of 1980. It used to be our kitchen table, but has been in the basement for 30 years doing nothing. So, it was "free." I suppose making a top from dimensional lumber would have doubled the cost and the build time. I cut off the bullnose edge and voila! The design is unbelievably stiff and stout. The angled legs and tusk tenons are the key. Watch the Will Myers video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKI4aQtIRlg a great 2 minute video. Tells you everything you need to know about it.

I'd like to be able to hand plane wood. This means the bench needs to stay put when working. I am thinking about ways to add weight. One is a (junk collecting) shelf on the strechers and the other is a rack under the base to hold my big/heavy piece of plate glass that I use when sharpening tools.

I need to figure out the vise. As it is, it took me nearly 2 weeks to build the bench. Many days it was over 90 degrees in the shade and I can tell you that I was moving pretty slow.

Appreciate the "no comment" on the other thing. My wife is leaning on me to lighten the load. We'd like to move and downsize, but will probably wait out the pandemic.
NickC

Post by NickC »

One can never have too much stuff (amps, parts, guitars, speakers, gear, faux leopard-skin spandex jumpsuits, wigs, etc).

However, it is possible to have too little space to keep stuff in. The remedy is to acquire more space. :wink:

LOVE the workbench! Nice!
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

NickC wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:18 pm However, it is possible to have too little space to keep stuff in. The remedy is to acquire more space. :wink:
We're trying to downsize. How to explain the new storage locker I'm paying for? :roll:
NickC wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:18 pm LOVE the workbench! Nice!
Thanks! I can't wait to give it a try. It is presently stacked with basement junk. You know that puzzle with 15 chicklets and 16 spaces? That's what's going on in the basement. It is a small room, maybe 14' x 18' and some of that space is taken by the furnace, hot water heater, and sump pump. I'm trying to figure where everything goes. Wife offered to help. I said no thanks. :)
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Nice bench!
You're right, cluttered spaces can be oppressive,, even psychologically damaging. In the interest of your health you should send me those old speakers. That will fung sachet you back to feeling better than ever.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
NickC

Post by NickC »

Phil_S wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:14 pm We're trying to downsize.
That's a sore subject for me. I'm planning to retire from corporate life at the end of this year. The wife is on me constantly about "downsizing". That means she wants me to get rid of a lot of music equipment, right at the time of my life when I can devote full-time and energy to doing music ................... like I said ................ it's a sore subject (and a travesty).
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

I'd negotiate that with my wife, demanding she downsize her shoe and boot collection.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

and i never married because don't want a rectal boot collection
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
NickC

Post by NickC »

Reeltarded wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:02 pm and i never married because don't want a rectal boot collection
Now that made me laugh! Thanks, I needed a good laugh!
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I love you, buddy. :)
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
TZRsteve

Post by TZRsteve »

Your basement still has plenty of space. I build guitars. Fix electricals. Tune vespas. Make a little moonshine. Have a monster lathe. All in a modest soze garage.

So keep getting the toys and projects, its why you went to work and put up with the boss for so long.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Steve assumes too much.

It's been a couple years.. a lot can change.
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

I don't have too much stuff.

My wife will have waaaaay too much crap when I go, however.