I wish Mouser Prime existed...

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

professormudd

I wish Mouser Prime existed...

Post by professormudd »

Or better yet, a brick and mortar in my area that sold components.

Wanting to do a mod that costs $0.50 in parts and $8.00 in shipping is a kick in the nuts.

I actually live in a town that has a Radio Shack, but their component selection is a single drawer with a few random items left over from the 90s, nothing good or useful to me.

Oh well, at least mouser ships quickly.
-Matt

It may very well be that the sole purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
xtian

Re: I wish Mouser Prime existed...

Post by xtian »

If wishes were fishes…
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

Also miss having a local place, even though my oldest memory of radioshack was mostly a battery store with a couple parts drawers. I stock an oppressive number of parts for this reason... You can click to economy shipping on mouser and save a couple dollars, it just takes a week.
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

You already lucky guy and don't even know it;

In France Mouser shipping cost for orders below 50€ is 20€ - plus fees for paying outside EU - even if there's an french address...
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Rat Shack was good once upon a time. It went downhill after Tandy Leather acquired it in the mid sixties. Now the remaining stores sell batteries, phones, and cheap electronic toys.
Lafayette stores, though selling mainly radio transceivers, had a good supply of component parts. They vaporized by 1980 or so. If it wasn't for Allied, Mouser, Handmade, Apex jr, a few others, and my old stock, I couldn't build squat.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

There's a local chain here called Vetco Electronics that used to have an amazing selection of stuff, even tubes, but they've sold off the top half of their business area, and downscaled significantly. They still have a decent amount of NOS stuff, I've seen boxes and tape rolls of allen and bradley resistors but they're always weird values I'd never want.

I still go there when I need some stuff and end up with some cool old green and brown 10k resistors or some such but most of their resistors are now newer brands etc. xicon whatnot.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

professormudd wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:51 pm Or better yet, a brick and mortar in my area that sold components.

Wanting to do a mod that costs $0.50 in parts and $8.00 in shipping is a kick in the nuts.

I actually live in a town that has a Radio Shack, but their component selection is a single drawer with a few random items left over from the 90s, nothing good or useful to me.

You should tell us what you are looking for. On occasion, there may be one or more generous members here who will put that thing in a padded envelope with a first class stamp for you. There's a chance it can be free. The worst case is that you still need to go to Mouser.
professormudd

Post by professormudd »

Phil_S wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:16 pm You should tell us what you are looking for. On occasion, there may be one or more generous members here who will put that thing in a padded envelope with a first class stamp for you. There's a chance it can be free. The worst case is that you still need to go to Mouser.
I don't even like asking my neighbor for sugar. I suppose I might ask if I was having trouble finding a part, but the frequency of my impulses to acquire parts is far too high to ask favors each time.
-Matt

It may very well be that the sole purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

Phil_S wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:16 pm
professormudd wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:51 pm Or better yet, a brick and mortar in my area that sold components.

You should tell us what you are looking for. On occasion, there may be one or more generous members here who will put that thing in a padded envelope with a first class stamp for you. There's a chance it can be free. The worst case is that you still need to go to Mouser.
Yup. I've been on the receiving end of generous members here. Wouldn't mind being one of those from time to time.
thetragichero

Post by thetragichero »

any electronics surplus stores in the area? we have two. one is similar to a radio shack (fairly well organized). the other is not very organized but if you hunt you can find some cool stuff at really decent prices (handful of sprague black beauty caps for a couple bucks kinda thing). i imagine most of their money is made from the appliance parts so me coming in there to get some power resistors (i never remember to order a range for cathode biased amps so once i get to the tweaking stage i invariably need something that's not 100r 470r etc) ends up with killer deals
PRR wrote: Plotting loadlines is only for the truly desperate, or terminally bored.