Modify standing to laydown

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Reeltarded

Modify standing to laydown

Post by Reeltarded »

I need a service. I have a 50w Marshall PT needs conversion to LD and leads replaced.

Anyone know a guy?
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Phil_S

Re: Modify standing to laydown

Post by Phil_S »

https://www.mercurymagnetics.com/what-y ... ng-styles/
Near the bottom of the page, look for UTM brackets. They should be willing to sell one. I suppose they'd convert and fix wire leads, too, for a price. It seems to me conversion is a matter of changing the end bells and providing longer screws. Time for a phone call?
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

I converted a standup Partrkdge style for a MarWatt variant I built using a spare laydown end bell, and made a backing bracket of aluminum. I agree that end bells should be available from transformer manufacturers as well as brackets. I also bought brackets for a Marshall build from Metropoulis.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Hmmm..I see..

You are telling me to buy another chassis and transformer set. You guys are the worst!

:)
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

Yup! :mrgreen:
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Reeltarded wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:47 pm You are telling me to buy another chassis and transformer set. You guys are the worst!
No. See below. Content deleted.
Last edited by Phil_S on Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Phil_S wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:31 pm
Reeltarded wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:47 pm You are telling me to buy another chassis and transformer set. You guys are the worst!
No, I'm telling you it is a DIY job. Go to Home Despot or Blowes. Buy some angle brackets or angle iron. (Actually the 1"x1" aluminum stock is great for making the conversion brackets.) Drill them to fit. Put on your big boy pants, remove the end bells, cut into the paper if necessary, change the leads yourself. If you can leave some of the old leads when you cut them off and sister the new leads onto the remaining old leads -- can be done outside of the end bells if there is any lead length left. Remember to put some heat shrink over the bad solder job on the leads to compensate for your sloppiness. Replace the end bells. Depending on the actual transformer, you may need to leave one end bell off when you put it in lay down position, which may actually simplify things. If needed, get some grommets to safely slip the new leads through the hole in the chassis. It can be done in less than an hour, even by an amateur like me. And it won't cost you very much.

Or see if MM will send you one of those brackets. You'll need to tell them the EI number that corresponds to the lams used so you get the right size. That will cut your time on the job to less than 30 minutes.

As if you don't already know all of this...
Feh...double post. Meant to edit, not quote.
didit

Post by didit »

Hello Miles --

:)
Listen to Phil, and me. Try DIY. Have done this once, actually twice but so it goes.

Up to down is relatively simple. Longer bolts from a real nuts&bolts shop were the shopping hassle. A photo would help us all help. If there are end-bell covers with mounting tabs those can be trimmed off, or bent down for the rude&crude but semi-reversible. If separate "L" brackets, just set aside after dismantling. Dependent on how the leads currently are you'll need to rewire or carefully pull to all face down. One can skip the end-bell in the inside. Outside too if rude&crude.

More if you share some images.

Best .. Ian
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

its a standup Marshall 50w from the 80s has a little placard with tube chart on one side el34s domestic, 6550s export. will take a picture in a while tep yep
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

here ye hear yay
3055C7DB-9D29-48D5-B67F-329435C66C8C.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
didit

Post by didit »

Hmmm --

Yay, yeah ...

Less simple than both my Hammond retrofit jobs. How sturdy is the chassis you wanna bolt this down in? That pair of bolts across middle can work, but yeah.

With spirit of adventure the bolts could loosened and end-bells pulled, revealing what's with it with the wire leads. From the photo, look too short to serve as-is. Care needed if you do unbolt, but its embedded varnish will hold it all together for some exploratory surgery.

Best .. Ian
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

You are one of them perverts what just like to look at electronics with the leads chopped off!
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Even with longer leads I am going to mount it with terminal strips.
didit

Post by didit »

Reeltarded wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:34 pm Even with longer leads I am going to mount it with terminal strips.
Certainly commend that plan.
didit

Post by didit »

Reeltarded wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:33 pm You are one of them perverts what just like to look at electronics with the leads chopped off!
Naked copper can truly be a thrill ..