Pioneer SX-535 120Hz hum

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

TUBEDUDE

Re: Pioneer SX-535 120Hz hum

Post by TUBEDUDE »

When I get that question I ask if she really needs 35 pairs of shoes. DMZ established!
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
Phil_S

Re: Pioneer SX-535 120Hz hum

Post by Phil_S »

TUBEDUDE wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:12 pm When I get that question I ask if she really needs 35 pairs of shoes. DMZ established!
Not gonna go there with her. She manages to tolerate many of my idiosycracies well. I'm not looking for trouble.

Meanwhile, I plugged it into a proper pair of speakers yesterday and was not happy. Volume is not where it should be and it was there before the cap job. Volume tops out at about 2 on the dial. It's sad. I remember that 20W per channel was enough to be deafeningly loud in a tiny college dorm room. I think that blue spark (arc) I saw during power up after the recap must have blown something on the power supply board.

The other observation is that when I dial in an FM station with a signal strength of 4+ (meter max is 5,) there is a static in the signal. It should be crystal clear. AM is no better.

Now, I've got to think about whether I want to rebuilt the power supply board where I saw the arc happen. The job doesn't look very difficult, it's just that I don't want to go so far that I'm throwing good money after bad. The rebuild kit is roughly $20, so I guess that will be OK. But the other question is whether I need to rebuild the tuner board. (Is there a tuner board?) I feel like I'm quickly getting out of my depth. Do you think the tuner issue may be resolved by rebuilding the power supply board?

Thoughts?