DIY tactile platform with transducer for musicians

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

xtian

DIY tactile platform with transducer for musicians

Post by xtian »

Q: Have you ever played while sitting on your guitar cabinet? Or while sitting on a subwoofer cabinet during a show? I love doing this in loud environments when I can't hear my guitar clearly, because the vibrations help me "feel" what I'm playing, and in turn, my guitar seems much louder to me.

Q: Have you seen Aviom PLF-1 tactile platforms? Same idea--you stand on the platform, which vibrates, and you "feel" the low end thru your body. Well, the PLF-1 costs $750, and that's just the platform and the transducer. You also need an amplifier. The matching BOOM-1 amp/processor costs $700! So that's $1450 for the system.

Yeah, right. I decided to DIY. :twisted:

I bought these three items from Amazon for about $88:
IMG_1196.jpg
IMG_1197.jpg

Works great, exactly as hoped! The platform is 30"x30" 5/8" cabinet-grade plywood. The height of the "feet" is 2.5", making the top surface 3" tall (I guess I can leave my platform heels at home). I left space for the legs of my mic stand so it can snug right up. I send signal to the platform's amp via the headphone out of my Line 6 Helix, and that provides an easy volume adjustment that's independent from the main output for the speaker cabinet.

I'm going to try it at our club gig tonight, and I'll post results. I just have to watch I don't accidentally step off the rear edge!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
ViperDoc

Re: DIY tactile platform with transducer for musicians

Post by ViperDoc »

Very innovative!

I might only recommend support at the cantilevered corners so you don't launch your pedalboard on dismount.
Just plug it in, man.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Appreciate that! However, those cantilevered edges are where my FX sit, so I'm not ever standing there. See wide shot. I'll make improvements later, if the rig proves useful this evening.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Yes! This rig was effective and FUN! Definitely increased my perception of my guitar. Bandmates all had a turn, and their eyes lit up. Someone called it a Napoleon Complex riser. :lol:
echuta13

Post by echuta13 »

I've been using tactile transducers in my theater setup bolted to the bottom of the couch, and I have one on my gaming chair.
I set them so they're only doing about 40hz & down (subwoofer does the upper spectrum). Adds a little bit more dimension to movies, and games + keeps me regular! :lol:
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.
xtian

Post by xtian »

I'm finished with v.2. I used a can of black truck bed liner for the finish. Power distribution supplies the transducer, a 9v PSU for my Line 6 wireless receiver, and a power cord for the Helix. Glow in the dark tape. Piano hinges for the pedal platform allows folding to smaller space for storage and transport.

IMG_1227.jpg
IMG_1226.jpg
IMG_1225.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Amazing! That sort of equipment goes against my minimalist trend but it looks like you're keeping all your stuff clean and well ordered - which is somewhat even more amazing to me... :)