New member here

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

drummer

New member here

Post by drummer »

Hi people,
I just joined, thank you. I will try to make it short,
I am not a builder but I own a bunch of amps including Trainwreck clone, Marshall clone and various fenders.
I am actually a drummer but been plucking strings since getting a Hondo for Christmas mid eighties.
I remember my grandmother soldering pc boards at home for piece work for a company 2 blocks away.
She would bring home boxes of parts and smoke butts and solder. I used to sit there and help and watch.
So now, I am really fascinated when opening an amp and looking at all of the components, but know nothing really.
Already learning a lot here from reading. Are there classes to take for tube amp repair?...'cause I'll tell you what,
there aren't many around me in NH.
Also, wondering if anyone knows about the builders of my two clones, both local NH builds
My trainwreck clone was built by danieljamesamplifiers (disappeared, no response)
My Royal Tone (marshall clone) also the builder disappeared, possibly passed away from what I hear. :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
joeboo88

Re: New member here

Post by joeboo88 »

Welcome drummer.
I started my amp building from building pedals first, and after I didn't kill myself I moved onto building amps, which can really kill you.
I live up in Northern Canada and would have liked to build a kit to start on, but I couldn't afford at the time to pay almost double for a kit with shipping and taxes and duty,exchange blah blah blah.
I would suggest starting out with a small amp kit, usually they have detailed instructions, something like a champ or deluxe type.
BUT these voltages can kill.
I know I said it but its a responsibility of forum members just to make that clear, for new builders.
When I saw this site years ago, I would read and read and read and stare at pictures of builds, once you've scratched your head for a while, things become a little clearer.
I made lots of booboo's but became better with experience gleaned here. I'm still learning
To understand what components go where and what they do, Rob Robinette is a good website, he has pictures with what components do what and traces out signal path etc....
the guys here are very knowledgeable and very welcoming , read lots and good luck.

Not sure where your Trainwreck came from, someone here might know. Is it an Express you have there?
Joe
drew

Post by drew »

joeboo88 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:22 pm
When I saw this site years ago, I would read and read and read and stare at pictures of builds, once you've scratched your head for a while, things become a little clearer.
Still a good approach. Nowadays, there is also YouTube -- Uncle Doug, Mr Carlson's Lab, Psionic Audio, Fazio Electric, Frenchie Films (our own Phil) to name a few. I doubt you're going to have much luck finding tube amp repair classes, in or out of New Hampshire; it's not exactly a trade with a bright future.
drummer

Post by drummer »

Thanks,
Yeah I think it is an express clone. I bought it on consignment at a local Music store a few years ago.
I plugged it in at the store and it sounded good. I payed for it, not knowing much about it or Trainwreck.
It came with a cool little card with a small description and it is called the "Brighton Belle"
by Daniel James amplifiers. Has a switch that kinda goes from vox to marshall.
el34s. I had to put a handle on it because really?
The builder disappeared, website gone.