"No More Russian Vacuum Tubes in 2022"

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ViperDoc

Re: "No More Russian Vacuum Tubes in 2022"

Post by ViperDoc »

Anyone have preferences on available 6L6GC other than “get any that you can find, and get ready to empty your 401K.”? My 401K hasn’t done sh!t for years, so….
Just plug it in, man.
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

I've asked almost the same question (limited to tubes available in Europe) on a french forum and got no answer at all ... :?
statorvane

Post by statorvane »

Yes. Try the Tung Sol 6L6GC-STRs. They are still available in matched sets. I bought a pair a few years ago for a Supro 1688 cone project. These puppies absolutely roar!

Sweetwater had them on sale - at least $10/ less than Tube Depot or AES. This was for a single tube. They have matched sets too, a little more, but free shipping.

Here's a link: https://www.sweetwater.com/c1070--Guita ... VNvbCJdfX0
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

Thank you, sir!
Just plug it in, man.
BrownIsound

Post by BrownIsound »

WhopperPlate wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:06 pm
BrownIsound wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:08 pm I ordered a quad of the Psvane for my superlead, so whenever I receive them and get to put them in I’ll report my findings, in the interest of science.
What are your scientific findings ?
They compare very favorable to a quad of mullards I have (a pair each of xf2’s and xf4’s that bias close to each other). I’d say the mullards are a touch fuller in the bass, and the treble distortion is slightly sweeter than the Psvane’s, but that’s being very critical. No long term torture testing so far, but held up for the few weeks I was cranking them (the family was out of town for a month :mrgreen: ). Very satisfied for the price I paid for them (eBag link https://www.ebay.com/itm/303559751405?m ... mpt=429349).
El Rey

Post by El Rey »

Any more news on Western Electric making guitar amp popular tubes?
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Radio silence from Rossville. Unanswered e-mails and the lack of announcements spell no dice. I guess there wasn't enough interest for them. Or more likely, they felt commie tube deliveries would resume before they could get enough sales to justify the production and tooling costs.
I, for one, would pay the penalty pricing for an American made tube, especially from a company with such high standards, irrespective of foreign tube availability.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

TUBEDUDE wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:22 pm I, for one, would pay the penalty pricing for an American made tube, especially from a company with such high standards, irrespective of foreign tube availability.
I would too.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

My guess is that unless WE can sell 12AX7’s for around $50 each they won’t bother.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

martin manning wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:07 am My guess is that unless WE can sell 12AX7’s for around $50 each they won’t bother.
Sell, or buy?

I can sell them at $50. Don't know how good I'd feel about it. I wouldn't buy them for a personal guitar amp, maybe would for a hi-fi preamp though. I have Telefunken nad Mullard ECC83s that I will save for that anyway. Even for that case, I'd likely let it burn in with JJs. Save some factor of being blown away with premium tubes later.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

martin manning wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:07 am My guess is that unless WE can sell 12AX7’s for around $50 each they won’t bother.

I think you are about 20% low on what they want for dual triodes.

I want to pay about $30 tops for Blackburn copies.

In a couple years this will be reasonable. Bet.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Reeltarded wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:10 am

I think you are about 20% low on what they want for dual triodes.

I want to pay about $30 tops for Blackburn copies.

In a couple years this will be reasonable. Bet.
$30 sounds reasonable to me. But I'd pay $50 a tube for a new American tube.
That will be reasonable by the time my NOS stock of 12**7 tubes is depleted.
My guess is WE will offer only 12a*7 tubes for a few years or more. I will need 12DW7, 6SN7, 5AR4, KT-88 and 6V6 types. So I'll be SOL anyway.
But if they do make 12AX7's, I'll design a few amps to use them, as I want to see how good they are. That appears to be a mighty large if at this point.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I have made an argument to use ax7, au7, 6L6, and EL34 exclusively for a few years. This is why.

If your invoices are from places with Obsolete or Antique in the business title.. welp.

:?
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

JJ is making 27 preamp tube types, 18 power tube types, and four rectifiers. That probably gives a good indication of the current demand and economically viable types.
imjonwain

Post by imjonwain »

JJ has a pretty large cost advantage (definitely labor, most likely equipment, and I'd bet environmental as well) over anyone doing tube manufacturing here in the states.

I'm sure for WE it comes down to what they want to be doing as a "brand". Do they wanna make low volume high end audio equipment and specialty tubes (as they do now) or become involved in a more mass manufacturing of a consumer grade component? It's a pretty big shift and some sort of OEM contracts tend to be how you float that type of operation these days unless you've got a lot of money sitting around. "Manufacturing sucks"
https://tfrelectronics.com/
https://oshpark.com/profiles/TFRelectronics