"No More Russian Vacuum Tubes in 2022"

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

bepone

Re: "No More Russian Vacuum Tubes in 2022"

Post by bepone »

tubes are made by hand so to make good tube with constant and good quality means workers with steady hand , experience, tools within tolerance etc etc.
to start from zero and claim superb production and attach immediately high price because of standard capitalism system for sure cannot come to life...
i'm happy with JJ preamp novals and any Russian output tube octals and this will remain unchanged.
Thermionic/EL-34

Post by Thermionic/EL-34 »

bepone wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:06 pm tubes are made by hand so to make good tube with constant and good quality means workers with steady hand , experience, tools within tolerance etc etc.
to start from zero and claim superb production and attach immediately high price because of standard capitalism system for sure cannot come to life...
i'm happy with JJ preamp novals and any Russian output tube octals and this will remain unchanged.
What's changed is $300+ a quad Russian tubes up from $98 a quad 2 weeks ago.
If JJ were the only tube left on the planet i'd go FULL FRACTAL >
bepone

Post by bepone »

why you are buying now? wait several months, all will return to normal.or play with two tubes what is the difference? 3dB
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Looks like WE is going to start making MI amp tubes: https://guitar.com/features/interviews/ ... SeRpBtlrmg
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Yeah, we will see. I think the 12AX7 is the one everyone is hoping for. Hopefully it is not a $50 12AX7. Just got a quad of the red base 6L6 from TAD. They look great but haven't had a chance to listen yet. They were $160 including shipping and I received them from Germany 5 days after I ordered them.
CW
galtjunk

Post by galtjunk »

I bought a bunch of russian military tubes quite a while back when they were dirt cheap.
I bought 100 of each.
6n1p-ev 6dj8
6n2p-ev a 6 volt 12ax7
6p1p-ev 6aq5 or 6v6
6fp3 ecl82 6bm8
50 each of
6p14-ev el84 pin compatible
6p15-ev sv83
6p3s-e 5881/6l6gc

1 6n2p and 2 6f3p make a really nice low watt pp plexi.

I guess I'll be ok for a while.
Matthews Guitars

Post by Matthews Guitars »

I'm just going to point out that from a tube manufacturing standpoint, tubes for guitar amps and tubes for high fidelity applications are the same. All that changes is how they are sorted and graded. They don't have magic formulas for making SOME tubes that distort better than others.

Every sought after vintage NOS tube type you want was made for high fidelity applications and then found to be good in a guitar amp.

I'm sure WE will make them and then test, sort, and grade them for different applications. The ones that are most linear with the lowest noise will be offered up for those applications where low noise and fidelity is most important. Recording or high end reproduction. The ones that are still good but not quite as linear and quiet will be what are marketed for the guitar amp market.
Draal

Post by Draal »

galtjunk wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:20 pm I bought a bunch of russian military tubes quite a while back when they were dirt cheap.
I bought 100 of each.
6n1p-ev 6dj8
6n2p-ev a 6 volt 12ax7
6p1p-ev 6aq5 or 6v6
6fp3 ecl82 6bm8
50 each of
6p14-ev el84 pin compatible
6p15-ev sv83
6p3s-e 5881/6l6gc

1 6n2p and 2 6f3p make a really nice low watt pp plexi.

I guess I'll be ok for a while.
I'm using their 6sl7 and 6v6 types in a build currently. I like them!
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Charlie Wilson wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:57 am Yeah, we will see. I think the 12AX7 is the one everyone is hoping for. Hopefully it is not a $50 12AX7.
If they can produce a 12AX7 that is as good as you could get previously by paying the matched sections/low noise premium for a similar price, that would be ok, IMO. They will still be competing with the other manufacturers to some degree on price vs. performance.
Charlie Wilson wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:57 amJust got a quad of the red base 6L6 from TAD. They look great but haven't had a chance to listen yet. They were $160 including shipping and I received them from Germany 5 days after I ordered them.
Interested to hear what you think. Those are Chinese, Psvane, I believe. I'll bet at least $25 of that price was shipping charge.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

So the AES/CEDist/Amplified Parts folks are offering a full line of Psvane tubes now: https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/v ... =2341a4285
xtian

Post by xtian »

Never used a Psvane. Any reviews?
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

I got spam today from Amplified Parts offering Psvane at similar prices. Short term, it could be the only game in town, any town. Stock up now while they have 'em. Tone? Who cares? No tubes = no tone. What I don't understand is how Chinese merchandise bypassed supply chain delays.

Edit: Opps...didn't think about AES being the same as Amplifed Parts.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Phil_S wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:15 amShort term, it could be the only game in town, any town. Stock up now while they have 'em.
I bet you have a closet full of toilet paper ;^)
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

martin manning wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:30 pm
Phil_S wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:15 amShort term, it could be the only game in town, any town. Stock up now while they have 'em.
I bet you have a closet full of toilet paper ;^)
LOL, maybe 20 rolls. That doesn't count what's in the bathrooms. :oops:
Matthews Guitars

Post by Matthews Guitars »

Given how much the situation has deteriorated since March, I'm not expecting to see any Russian made tubes hitting coming to market in the foreseeable future. With Russia getting close to "completely embargoed, sanctioned, embargoed, and ostracized...and generally screwed by its Madman In Chief" status, with them losing their own little war with a neighbor who's WAY tougher than they expected, with them preparing to declare general mobilization, thus ensuring that their eventual defeat at the hands of the Ukrainians will be epic and total to such an extent that it will ruin Russia as a global power or even regional power, I just can't expect that we'll ever seen Russian tubes made and exported again for DECADES. If ever.

Russia doesn't have a significant domestic market for audio tubes. Not enough to keep the Saratov factory running even if they nationalize it for their own uses. (Which they might.)
It's a business that lives on export. And with sanctions as they are, I'd be amazed if any country will accept Russian product imports for very long if they're accepting them now.

I recently shut down my amp repair sideline. Given the current situation I have no interest in restarting it, because I don't wan to deal with the expense and hassles associated with obtaining new tubes for my customers. I don't want to be the mechanic who has to tell his customers "There are no parts available for your car.".