"No More Russian Vacuum Tubes in 2022"

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

martin manning

Re: "No More Russian Vacuum Tubes in 2022"

Post by martin manning »

Matthews Guitars wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:10 pmGiven how much the situation has deteriorated since March, I'm not expecting to see any Russian made tubes hitting coming to market in the foreseeable future...
I have to agree with you there. So we have JJ, and Psvane is on line now, and possibly WE will join them. I think Psvane has just set the price points going forward, which are right about where the premium tubes were in the before times. That's ok if they are on spec, have closely matching sections, and low noise/microphonics... which remains to be seen. I'll be interested to read the user reports on those.
bmx

Post by bmx »

There are a lot of Russian tubes out there being horded. I know higher ups in several online distributors that just pulled their listings because certain people/companies were making multiple order/day for 500tubes/order. So, they could either totally sell out, or take the listing offline and wait till a stable price resumes and the bulk buyers settle down. I dont totally understand the strategy; but from what I have been led to believe, all those tubes suppliers have stock sitting.
imjonwain

Post by imjonwain »

^It's fairly common in the electronic parts industry even in times without supply chain issues (depending on the part). I work on test equipment related to communications systems, some of which use old ICs made on very old fab processes. Pretty much all those ICs are sold "on allocation". So even though inventory exists at the MF or distributor at any given time I can only buy so many and portions of stock sit around on hold for others who may need said part.
https://tfrelectronics.com/
https://oshpark.com/profiles/TFRelectronics
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

I actually ordered some NOS Soviet era tubes from Ukraine. I know it's not much, but it feels like I'm helping in a small way. I fully expected a long shipping time, given all that's going on. I placed the order in early April, and they arrived in New York yesterday. I'm working on putting together a little amp named after Stephen Colbert's latest catchphrase: Is Potato. The reason for using that is that it's as close to a spud amp as I can really get (two tubes instead of one). I know; it's not particularly clever, but it's fun.
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

FYI - just got an email from Tube Depot saying they've got JJ tubes in stock now. Plain 12AX7 is now $25. Craziness...
BrownIsound

Post by BrownIsound »

I ordered a quad of the Psvane for my superlead, so whenever I receive them and get to put them in I’ll report my findings, in the interest of science.
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

BrownIsound wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:08 pm I ordered a quad of the Psvane for my superlead, so whenever I receive them and get to put them in I’ll report my findings, in the interest of science.
What are your scientific findings ?
Charlie
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

WhopperPlate wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:06 pm
BrownIsound wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:08 pm I ordered a quad of the Psvane for my superlead, so whenever I receive them and get to put them in I’ll report my findings, in the interest of science.

Fuck Russia!
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Reeltarded wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:38 pm
WhopperPlate wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:06 pm

Fuck Russia!
I would normally issue a Political Content Warning, but I'm going to allow it because Science.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Yeah! Down with the man! Let freedom ring. (because american sourced chinese glass is microphonic)
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

psvane is china afaik :wink:
Charlie
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Until the resistance something about capacitor. Psvnansbnes will never be China. We Psvnanians are a proud and storied lot, like Pennsylvania.
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Reeltarded wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:57 am Until the resistance something about capacitor. Psvnansbnes will never be China. We Psvnanians are a proud and storied lot, like Pennsylvania.
https://www.hificollective.co.uk/compon ... svane.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Charlie
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

A bit off topic but my russian tea set.

DA282F5C-F393-4198-8333-8BA760BD51AE.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Well Western Electric was.full of talk about how fast they were gonna ramp up production on the tubes we need. No news at all since. Anyone have an inside source?
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.