13 years?

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

TomPriem

Re: 13 years?

Post by TomPriem »

Tom, (Structo) Hi! :D

I am still alive, 66!
We had fun!

They had me on some bad meds 5 yrs, couldn't do anything, like a zombie.

Now can think better and move around better, do more. Working on new neuropathways.

Tweedle Dee too :D

I need to poop ! :mrgreen:

We've lost some good ones and others as well.....
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

TomPriem wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:12 am...Working on new neuropathways... Tweedle Dee too :D
Awesome!
TomPriem wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:12 amWe've lost some good ones and others as well.....
True that, sad to say.
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Post by HeeBGB »

18 years for me. Some things just feel like home. This place is home for me!
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Damn, 16 years for me. Seems like yesterday. Gravity accelerates your life after you roll over the hill at fifty. As we get closer to the center of the drain we circle faster. Time seems to speed up, while my psyche misses every other thing speeding by. Less time to build, and the clock has never been more in play.
68 this year and accelerating!
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
cbass

Post by cbass »

It's only been twelve for me. I still don't know anything about amps. :lol:
beasleybodyshop

Post by beasleybodyshop »

I think it's been 10 years for me? It's changed my life in interesting ways.

I went from working in a museum to starting my own electronics repair business, then leveraging that into an Engineer position at a large audio company. All off the backs of you fine folks. I stood on the shoulders of those who came before and it's helped me figure out what I'm good at and helped to give me a career I've been proud of thus far.

I joined this form 3 kids and one marriage ago. Seems like forever. I owe so much to the kind folks here who were never afraid to share and be patient with neophyte questions. There is magic to sharing and learning together. So many fun and interesting phone calls with forumites. Even Miles! For anyone that doesn't know, He has the goofiest damn laugh you've ever heard.
"It's like what Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh..."
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

BTW I've given Structo his account back, hopefully he'll be messaging from the glowing tube soon! :)

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Post by LeftyStrat »

18 years for me. I need to get back more often. I just discovered HAD passed away. Now I suppose it is time for me to build a clone in his honor.

It also brought back a memory. Around the time I joined I was working on modding a customer's amp and was trying to get it finished by the next day when he was supposed to come by and pick it. My nine year daughter took interest in what I was doing and started asking questions. I almost said to her "not now," but caught myself and showed her how to solder, what each component did, showed her a cold solder joint, etc. Little did I know it would spark a life long love for electronics.

She now lives in LA and works for AEA, making very expensive ribbon mics. Always take the time for your loved ones.
Last edited by LeftyStrat on Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

14 years for me. I got a lot great information from this site. I used to be logged on almost daily.

I built about a dozen amps of different flavors using information from this site. It was a nice experience. Then tube prices shot up and I reached the conclusion that I didn't want to deal with those issues. I bought a Kemper, profiled my amps and sold most of them. The Kemper has changed my view of the guitar amp world, but TAG was a useful and fun time.
Electronic equipment is designed using facts and mathematics, not opinion and dogma.
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

vibratoking wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:05 pm 14 years for me. I got a lot great information from this site. I used to be logged on almost daily.

I built about a dozen amps of different flavors using information from this site. It was a nice experience. Then tube prices shot up and I reached the conclusion that I didn't want to deal with those issues. I bought a Kemper, profiled my amps and sold most of them. The Kemper has changed my view of the guitar amp world, but TAG was a useful and fun time.
I wish I could replace my tube rigs with a computer and be happy . Alas , the happy part is an elusive and imperative aspect …

Long live the (tube) ampgarage !!! :lol: :mrgreen:
Charlie
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Thank god for the obsessive tinkerers who maintain this space . I have stayed logged in every day for like a decade . May this place live on forever more .
Charlie
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

WhopperPlate wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:43 pm Thank god for the obsessive tinkerers who maintain this space . I have stayed logged in every day for like a decade . May this place live on forever more .
Cheers to that, my brothers!
weihenstephan-weihenstephaner.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

vibratoking wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:05 pm 14 years for me. I got a lot great information from this site. I used to be logged on almost daily.

I'm working on a tube backend for a Kemper.

We are going to profile a Katana.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

15yrs already...
I was green, thinking a RN65 resistor was a cap :D
Came here for build info on a Overdrive Special, did lots of reading, what a wealth here!
It eventually brought me to the conclusion designing pcb and chassis could be cheaper to finance my own builds. And it does!
I will not be converted to Kemper, however I will build amps that can be profiled and still sound good.
Special thanks to OP Miles: his relentless diode quests for the perfect Jose Marshall made me build 2 takes on a Jose Marshall, and surrender to the fact a Marshall can be a phenomenal amp.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Reeltarded wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:49 am

I'm working on a tube backend for a Kemper.

We are going to profile a Katana.
As always, Reel keeping it real.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.