I’ve Started Pickup Winding

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Littlewyan

I’ve Started Pickup Winding

Post by Littlewyan »

I’ve got into pickup winding! I had a moment where I was trying to find a suitable pickup for my Epi Les Paul and figured, why don’t I just try making my own.

So as you can see in the photos I put together a crude winding machine, using fence clips for a motor mount :D But it works well enough. I didn’t want to spend too much in case I didn’t want to carry on with it.

Wound my first pickup this week and after making numerous mistakes it amazingly works! Doesn’t sound too bad either, but pretty weak though. So more parts are on the way so I can wind another and compare. I think I’ve caught the bug!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil_S

Re: I’ve Started Pickup Winding

Post by Phil_S »

There is no end to the kind of trouble we make for ourselves!
xtian

Post by xtian »

I need another hobby like I need an STD.

I love your use of an end bell as a control panel!
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

I can't help it, I have to tinker!

The end bell was from an Edcor Transformer, it arrived a bit rusty and so they sent me replacements. It felt like a waste just chucking them away so I held onto them. Building the winder I needed something to mount the control onto and so I have now found a use for one of them!

I must admit the motor is a bit rickety, as is my makeshift motor mount. I think I ideally need a beefier motor and a much more sturdy mount. For now I'm going to try winding at a lower speed to smooth it out a bit. Because it's so rickety I was basically scatter winding!
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

On the subject of pickup weakness... What is the Gauss of the magnets?
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

xtian wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:10 pm I need another hobby like I need an STD.
"Beverage? Meet Nose..." LOL
Just plug it in, man.
thetragichero

Post by thetragichero »

godbless you for this... those tiny wires are just too delicate for me. i just don't have the patience to do this so more power to you!
PRR wrote: Plotting loadlines is only for the truly desperate, or terminally bored.
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

dorrisant wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:18 pm On the subject of pickup weakness... What is the Gauss of the magnets?
I haven't got that far yet! I need to get myself a gauss meter. It was a polished A2 magnet I know that. Right now I'm just trying to wind a pickup that sounds respectable. I've improved the winding machine a lot as it was a bit wobbly, so hopefully now I can keep experimenting and actually learning what affects what.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

The reason I ask is that a lot of magnet rods, whether separate or assembled as a bobbin kit are not charged and will give weak output until charged. Easy enough to charge, even while installed.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
blackguard

Post by blackguard »

Beautiful. I started winding a couple years ago and it's been fun and a great learning experience. One day I hope to do transformers!

How many winds did you go and did you match or mismatch the coils?
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Haha... That is the million dollar question, isn't it?
blackguard

Post by blackguard »

Indeed!

This was a great vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ8EHMlJbeA
Roe

Post by Roe »

send me your address and receive a strat pickup in the mail that needs rewinding
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

dorrisant wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:24 pm The reason I ask is that a lot of magnet rods, whether separate or assembled as a bobbin kit are not charged and will give weak output until charged. Easy enough to charge, even while installed.
Are you thinking of Single Coils? As I haven't attempted them yet. They're on the list though as I do have a strat style guitar with just one humbucker in it at the moment :D
How many winds did you go and did you match or mismatch the coils?
So far I've done 5500 turns on each and now on 5800 turns on each. I think I need to notch it up to 6000 turns on each to get the output I'm after. I haven't tried mismatched coils yet, but I will have a go at making a PAF at some point. Already got some ideas on what I want to try for that. Transformers would be fun! I don't think my little winding machine would handle that though :lol:
send me your address and receive a strat pickup in the mail that needs rewinding
I think you might want to go to someone else for this Roe, someone who has wound more than 6 pickups! Out of 6 I'd say only 1 has sounded decent!
blackguard

Post by blackguard »

I am sure they all sound good! The cool think about PAFs is you can swap magnets. Try that before you throw the other 5 in the drawer :)