Two Rock Studio at my local pub

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

stephenl

Two Rock Studio at my local pub

Post by stephenl »

A local pub that's about a mile from my house has live music every Saturday night - typically cover bands that mostly appeal to Gen X'ers. Many of the guitarists are favoring smaller/lighter rigs ranging from small combos, floor modelers, pedal board amps, etc and most produce a pretty decent sound in the mix. I'm always amazed at how some of these non-traditional rigs sound in a bar band mix.

I went last night to see a local cover band that plays mostly funk/disco/dance stuff - drums/bass/guitar + keys and two sax players. The guitarist's chops seemed pretty good, but his tone was painful - sounded like a really bad SS amp or an overly hot-biased EL84 amp.

From a distance it looked like he was playing through a smallish, cheap, SS amp. At break I walked up closer to check out his gear, he had a small pedalboard with typical effects and the amp was a Two-Rock Studio Signature. I can't say that the amp was the root cause of the bad tone, I don't know what his signal chain looked like...

I think the amp is Fender based with onboard reverb and a 6L6 output section - should be capable of a warm, jangly tone for funk rhythm I would think. Has anyone else heard one live?

Sorry if I put this in the wrong area, but it's just a rambling observation that I didn't think added anything to the technical areas :D
Steve
El Rey

Re: Two Rock Studio at my local pub

Post by El Rey »

Had one for a very short time. Bought it on a whim since I had a SP35 years ago.

Hearing and preferences can change over time. Mine have.

I had certain expectations having owned a number of Two Rocks over the years and the TR Studio failed to do it for me.

None of this means much, only one persons opinion.

I'd still love to get my hands on a 10th Anniversary, or an old Emerald Pro. Haven't seen either up for sale in a long, long time. So maybe not in my lifetime.