Which Magnatone Is This?

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dorrisant

Which Magnatone Is This?

Post by dorrisant »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04nTmj3Z8pI&t=869s

Anyone have a clue? I know it is cranked up pretty good... Diggin' a lot of the tones.

Here's as good of a pic as I can get of the controls.,,
Maggie.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
dorrisant

Re: Which Magnatone Is This?

Post by dorrisant »

Wait... I found this...
Maggie 2.jpg
Twilighter. I like it. May have to build one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

That's a new production Magnatone. You can find them at Sweetwater.
dcribbs1412

Post by dcribbs1412 »

dorrisant wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:06 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04nTmj3Z8pI&t=869s

Anyone have a clue? I know it is cranked up pretty good... Diggin' a lot of the tones.

Here's as good of a pic as I can get of the controls.,,

Maggie.jpg
Agreed
Great sounding tones from the new Maggies
the stereo amps are really cool too.
Prob building might be varistors, been a topic in the past. I think Martin had a solution to unobtanium thermistor problem. Not had the chance to mess with it, but its on the short list.
Martin Maggie varistor replacement thread:
http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 92#p323892
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

So... If there are two DR circuits in this amp, each to its own output, how do they handle the controls? Looks like a single set on the panel... concentric pots?

Can you tell I have a build started (maybe just mentally)? I have a DRRI out on loan and when it comes back... :roll:

You know what I'm thinking. :wink:
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

dorrisant wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:14 am So... If there are two DR circuits in this amp, each to its own output, how do they handle the controls? Looks like a single set on the panel... concentric pots?
The Twilighter amps are single channel amps. Even the Magnatone Twilighter Stereo is a single channel amp, but the Vibrato circuit is a stereo effect.

The Twilighter is copied from the Fender AB763 Deluxe Reverb but the opto tremolo is removed and replaced with the simple two varistor Vibrato circuit. The tremolo mode is the bias vary circuit similar to the Fender 6G12. I have not seen a schematic for the Twilighter Stereo, but I suspect the vibrato circuit is based on the original stereo FM vibrato circuit (8 varistors) found in several top-of-the-line original Magnatone amps.

Since the Twilighter amps are in current production, I would expect that new production varistors are used. Probably took a lot of research and prototyping to find a good working varistor. Will Magnatone reveal the part number and/or a source? You can ask them.

Last year a Hoffman member wanted to build a Twilighter Lite... tremolo only, no reverb, no vibrato. The end results looks like a single channel Deluxe. I provided a stripped down schematic and layout for him (see attachment). There's a long thread about this Lite project over at Hoffman's forum if you care to read. My schematic/layout shows up in reply #50 and the final build pics are in reply #307.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Smokebreak posted the schematic here: https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 39b4718a98
Screenshot_20210508-112237_YouTube.jpg
DR circuit signal is split in two after the preamp feeding two power sections. I think I will build it and test the original Varistors against MM's substitute.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

The last version of the faux Maggie varistor is here: http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 57#p326257
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Yes... I have that info saved and parts are in my Mouser cart.

Have you done traces for any of the original varistors?
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Yes, Someone sent me some to check out a few years back, and they produced a smooth exponential curve. The right shape seems to be ~800uA at 100V. I'm not sure that the engineered version sounds quite as good as the real deal, but they are very cheap compared to the hard-to-find NOS parts. I'm interested to hear what you think.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

I have some supposed Russian equivalents somewhere around here. I may send you a few to test when I find them... that is if you'd be up for it.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Sure, easily done. Smokebreak sent me a couple of Russian ones back when we were experimenting. Tracing produces the I-V characteristic and determines if they are in the right range.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203515316036

Those are what I have around here somewhere... Ordered another batch a few days ago too, so if I don't find what is here, I'll send some from the new batch.

Are you ever gonna build with these? If so lemme know. :wink:
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

dorrisant wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:54 am https://www.ebay.com/itm/203515316036
Those are what I have around here somewhere...
I'm confused. The photo of the single item is printed 120B The photo with several in a pile are printed 220B. Same thing? Close enough?
Also ebay search for silicon carbide varistor finds this 270B from Latvia https://www.ebay.com/itm/142742199303?e ... R6yJ_NL3YA
Given the situation, shipping time may be shorter and more reliable. Is this an acceptable item?
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Same seller. Same shipping time.

Either way, there are some here (if I could find them) and more are on the way.