Recently: Barry Harris

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Reeltarded

Recently: Barry Harris

Post by Reeltarded »

In going over some things with pseudostudents, I recalled an excellent player I had been suggested on youtube.Robbie Barnby.

He is solidly in the Barry Harris camp.. then I suddenly realized the 4 people I was talking to never knew of Barry Harris. Barry started playing piano at 5 years old, and he came up with this beautiful way of seeing music. He basically plays the bebop scale but imagines it in this other way that is relative to the way Joe Pass described changes to me. Joe said; So we are playing a thing with a 1 and a 5. There is no 5. There is only the 2.. and funny enough, there is no 2. There is the 5..

Eff you, Joe. 25 years later sitting on a toliet (do not make any scatting references, thanks) I almost fell in the floor when it finally made sense... anyhow, back to Barry.

Robbie Barnby is excellent, but also a channel Things I've Learned From Barry Harris.

Here, links.

Robbie https://www.youtube.com/c/RobbieBarnby

TILF Barry Harris https://www.youtube.com/c/ThingsIveLear ... arryHarris

I hope these ideas inspire you or guide you or just make you smile. Look up some Barry Harris. It is always uplifting for me. He SO uncomplicates the conversation and stuns with melody.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
dorrisant

Re: Recently: Barry Harris

Post by dorrisant »

I can see it now... Things I learned on Things I Learned from Barry Harris.

Very nice! I will watch till my eyes dry up.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

the cat is into the bag.... :wink:
didit

Post by didit »

Hello --

I'll just leave this here quietly for anyone interested -- Barry Harris NYT obit.

A quick doff of the hat to Baroness Pannonica in closing.

Best .. Ian
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I finally fixed youtube. It only suggests I use an ad blocker and Barry Harris related videos now.

And if just for that, he is a total hero.

M
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.