Too stupid for tech sections! (clipping madness!)

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Reeltarded

Too stupid for tech sections! (clipping madness!)

Post by Reeltarded »

Bear with me.

I discovered something freakish last night. I was about to remove a clipping circuit from an amp but decided to add one as an experiment while it was still sitting there.. open.. you know.

LMAO

So, first clipper is off the CF (following third driven stage) and then the amp goes tonestack into another driven stage on a tube with an unused triode...

This got complicated. The Jose (no-master) includes a squash control. (10k resistor, .22u, 25k pot) The post TS driver pair wasn't getting lit up enough.

Instead of flipping the clipper circuits (because the early circuit clamps harder) I glued a plate and cathode down for that unused triode.

This gets insane. The post tone driver stage was 10k unbypassed before. I made both stages 2k7 and .68u. Shutup. I like Marshalls.

I left the tail floating so I could find the best place for the second clipper to trigger from.

It's 5 stages. No clippers needed for any reason. This is about science! Let's go!!

Ok, it works. There is a trimmer between the final stages. This amp has 150k variable slope.

UNSANITY

Question: Based on how Trainwrecks saturate backwards from output to input I put 50k trimmers on both tails and balanced the action. The squash is removed. What happens if I terminate both of these stupid things at a single 25k pot to ground?

(resistor-.22u-trimmer to 25k external squash control.. oh shit! I did this wrong! I need a 25k balance setup instead!)

At a whisper volume this amp can do circular breathing flute impressions that sound like absolute doom.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
romberg

Re: Too stupid for tech sections! (clipping madness!)

Post by romberg »

Nice! For posterity, you should post some sound clips! :)

I need to bust out some trimmers and play around in my 4 stage SIR #39 type thing. I like the idea of trimmers on the cathodes balance the clipping. I think this is is how the SLO ended up with a 39k cathode resistor. He was trying to make it clip symmetricly.

Mike
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I will do a couple clips when this amp is finished rebuilding. Having stages post tonestack and a clipper there makes the tone controls do impossible things. Not the most useful sounds but fun!
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

Is that a clipper you got in your hands?

madman-cover.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Screwdriver. Swapping an OT in another amp.

I need to move the PI to the other side of the output tubes in this chassis to get everything in better closer proximity to each section of control.

"Dood. Making logical amp layouts is illogical"... -Proximity Sam