Which D-style pedal?

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Reeltarded

Re: Which D-style pedal?

Post by Reeltarded »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:51 pm
I've been thinking of doing this one too, thanks for the feedback, I've got the Electro Harmonix Soul Food which is their cheap clone of the Klon, and I do dig it, but would love to try that one as well... hmm decisions :D

~Phil

I tried the Soul Food. It is good. I like EH...

The Ghost Drive sounds identical to Centaur. You would be amazed at just the buffer amp and tone control. I am. It's the best ever. If you drive it with any of your favorite OD pedals it makes them sound like magic. The Klon buffer amp and tone would be the best thing to replace FET in Dumble type amps or anything else. That part of the pedal is probably the most perfect thing I have ever heard a piece of musical gear do. No kidding. You can piece the kit together for around $45-50 or buy the kit from Stewmac. I opted to pay them instead of ordering 130 tiny bits from three places. $119 I think shipped?
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

martin manning wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:27 pm I wonder how different it would be? Same circuit, but people seem to talk about the effect of different diodes in Klons, and maybe the GD would be easier to experiment with? I built a GGG Klon clone, which is quite nice.
I have several GE diode types. The thing that counts is FW break. Let me get the video JUST FOR YOU.

Martin's kind of thing:

Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

brb
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

(52 minutes later)

I didn't want to tell you before you got all excited.

Sorry for the cliff-hang!

He introduces the test voltage controversy. Let me set a record, if not completely straight. If the FWBr happens anywhere in that short range he describes, you don't care about any other thing. I got these superduper Amperex you can buy off tubesandmore for $2 each and they also sound excellent. Negligible between pairs any difference than the ones that come from Stewmac for Klone kit.
E895B302-BC09-404D-A81B-62A93B21C09D.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

I had to go on and listen to part 2. Nicely done, props to Joe.

What part number are those diodes sold by Tubesandmore going by?
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Thanks. It's a very familiar narrative, isn't it? KC S698 is like ODS #124, no? Once the schematic is known, anybody can make one with off-the-shelf parts, so some part is claimed to be the make-or-break element by those who make or own originals, or build clones for sale, and it just happens to be an out an out-of-production part. In this case, It was Finnegan who started the myth(?), right around the time the clones began to appear, with a plausible story around the 1N34A clipping diodes. These were not just any 1N34A's, they had to be from a certain manufacturer, and oh by the way he bought up the entire world's supply of these magic parts. I knew most of this story, but the YouTube video linked above does a great job explaining it.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

omg YOU HAVE PAIRS OF THE MAGIC DIODES!! MARTIN HAS A STASH OF THE KLON DIODES!!

:lol:

Yep. As long as they act like general GE diodes usually do: Klon
jubal81

Post by jubal81 »

I built an ODS preamp in a 1590XX enclosure using sub-mini tubes about two years ago and it was well worth the effort. Here's the build thread..

A few months later I found a builder in Canada who makes something similar for sale. Here's his site.

Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

jubal81 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:18 am I built an ODS preamp in a 1590XX enclosure using sub-mini tubes about two years ago and it was well worth the effort. Here's the build thread..

I LOVE your design.
brewdude

Post by brewdude »

I’ve enjoyed the experience of buying/building the Azimuth pedal so much, I decided to buy another Aion kit. This time it’s the Solaris—a bit of a modified Fuzz Face clone.
https://aionfx.com/project/solaris-germanium-fuzz/

Maybe next time I will try Aion’s Klone?