Which D-style pedal?

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Mark

Re: Which D-style pedal?

Post by Mark »

That Pedal Show just goes on forever. It’s just too long for me. 30 minutes is practise time, 10 minutes is doable.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... x.2194661/

There are many expolosive shitter threads on TGP about this ass clown.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

Huh. Another reason I appreciate what Aion is doing. Above board, and great implementations of the original circuit features and tones. High-quality components, great documentation, easy to build. Being a DIYer these things appeal to me more than buying an expensive boutique or rare pedal, particularly because my playing doesn't reveal the special characteristics such a pedal may possibly provide.

First Vertex video I watched several years ago had my bullshitter radar on full sweep mode. After two, I was out. Happy to see my warning system is still working properly.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Same here. I called him out for monetizing his advertizing and he went full monkey. He could not seem to understand the concept of me being offended by being served ads for his profit while waiting to watch his ad for his line of amp loudeners.

Your ad will start after these ads.
brewdude

Post by brewdude »

While it was obvious to me that he was always a salesman marketing with a ton of BS and buzzwords, the examples I found online seemed to sound pretty good to me.

I had no clue to any of the drama regarding the ethics and industry politics.

I have not bought anything from Vertex.

I was amused by the observation in one post regarding the Vertex SSS pedal in which it was questioned how one could possibly use any pedal to simulate high power/high headroom in a small fender amp.

Anyway, I’m not interested in a clean pedal. I want an overdrive pedal.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Tried a Zendrive? If Robben Ford was using one of those into the clean channel of his ODS instead of the OD channel, then...
There are DIY clones around, including one from the above-mentioned Aion FX: https://aionfx.com/project/azimuth-dynamic-overdrive/
Last edited by martin manning on Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brewdude

Post by brewdude »

I think I just might order that Aion pedal.
Thanks for the excellent advice.
brewdude

Post by brewdude »

Ok, I just ordered the Aion Azimuth kit—only $87.75… and, I get to build it myself.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Nice. Looking forward to the report on how well it filled the need.
brewdude

Post by brewdude »

I will definitely report back with my results.

I built an RFDrive (from wattkins.com) which is described as similar to a Zen drive for the Robben Ford sound many years ago. It’s been a good pedal, I’m just a little bored and ever seeking that small improvement—diminishing returns when seeking one’s ultimate tonal solution.
brewdude

Post by brewdude »

I built the Aion Azimuth tonight.

Super nice kit. Elegant design, quality parts, easy to assemble using the instructions available online. It cost me $87.75 including shipping.

I’m very happy.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I recently built Ghost Drive kit from Stewmac. Klon clone.

The reviews of what a Klon is are all very different from mine except for one thing:

THIS PEDAL IS AWESOME. It is NOT a clean boost yet it doesn't ruin anything, any frequency, anytime or where. Gah!!

I noticed that everyone else's base setting is everything set at about 6-7. I use distorted amps. Treble set around 5 volume set around 4-5 clicking it on puts broad shoulders on any tone. Adding gain up to about 7 is smooth *extra* becoming vocal legato insanity. No insane hissing. No howling. I can't believe it is so well behaved.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Reeltarded wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:58 am I recently built Ghost Drive kit from Stewmac. Klon clone.

The reviews of what a Klon is are all very different from mine except for one thing:

THIS PEDAL IS AWESOME. It is NOT a clean boost yet it doesn't ruin anything, any frequency, anytime or where. Gah!!

I noticed that everyone else's base setting is everything set at about 6-7. I use distorted amps. Treble set around 5 volume set around 4-5 clicking it on puts broad shoulders on any tone. Adding gain up to about 7 is smooth *extra* becoming vocal legato insanity. No insane hissing. No howling. I can't believe it is so well behaved.
I've been thinking of doing this one too, thanks for the feedback, I've got the Electro Harmonix Soul Food which is their cheap clone of the Klon, and I do dig it, but would love to try that one as well... hmm decisions :D

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

I wonder how different it would be? Same circuit, but people seem to talk about the effect of different diodes in Klons, and maybe the GD would be easier to experiment with? I built a GGG Klon clone, which is quite nice.