Which D-style pedal?

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

brewdude

Which D-style pedal?

Post by brewdude »

I find myself wanting to buy a Dumble inspired pedal…

Perhaps it seems somewhat odd to ask about a pedal that emulates the sound of a Dumble hear at the amp garage (with this being the best source of knowledge on the magic of Dumble amps), but I expect if any of you have a favorite of the D’style pedals you will have a better informed opinion then someone less directly familiar with the amps in question.

I was hoping to keep it simple. I don’t need it to do everything and include all the extra bells and whistles. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $200 would be preferred.

I’m leaning towards the Vertex Ultra phonix or the J Rockett Dude. But, these seem to be the most marketed to my demographic/algorithm.

Anyone have a good (or bad) experience with any D-style pedals?
Mark

Re: Which D-style pedal?

Post by Mark »

I guess the guys are into building the amps and not the pedals. Let us know what you decide to get and what you think about it.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
brewdude

Post by brewdude »

Yeah… I kinda figured it was a long shot.
Perhaps, better topic for the gear page—I just don’t like that forum as much.
bcook

Post by bcook »

When there's a backline I just take my ethos OD.
Mark

Post by Mark »

brewdude wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:05 pm Yeah… I kinda figured it was a long shot.
Perhaps, better topic for the gear page—I just don’t like that forum as much.
They are always jumping on whatever is the new thing or easily impressed with a video someone has done.

https://docs.pedalpcb.com/project/PhoenixUltra.pdf

https://docs.pedalpcb.com/project/Abider.pdf
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
drew

Post by drew »

brewdude

Post by brewdude »

Thanks for the suggestions.
Have you built any of these pedals?
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Paying Vertex for a japanese distortion unit surely is a waste of money.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Mark

Post by Mark »

brewdude wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:13 am Thanks for the suggestions.
Have you built any of these pedals?
In my case, I haven’t built either, but the point was to illustrate the parts count in both pedals. Perhaps that could be an influence on your decision.

As far as building pedals go. I find getting them in the box the hardest part. Artwork for the enclosure etc, I’m awful at this and should you wish to sell the pedal later on, it’s a deal breaker.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

I really like my Aion Azimuth. Easy to build, good price, great tone.
Mark

Post by Mark »

gktamps wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:01 pm I really like my Aion Azimuth. Easy to build, good price, great tone.
The case has a good finish on it which is a plus. A mate built up a few effects and put them in unfinished boxes and he can’t give the things away. They could be the greatest sounding effects ever but people won’t touch them as they are an unknown.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
brewdude

Post by brewdude »

I understand this very well.
No one wants to buy an original amp design… it only has value as it relates to some historically iconic model. Furthermore, If it doesn’t look pretty it won’t matter how it sounds.
drew

Post by drew »

Pedalpcb.com has a pretty good hookup with Tayda Electronics. You can order powder coated enclosures, drilled to match the PCBs. They can also put your graphic design on the boxes, if you’re one of those people who can create graphic designs. So it’s not too hard or expensive to produce a pedal that’s at least halfway decent looking. I made a few in the early days of the pandemic. The two I linked above are apparently brand new releases that don’t even have the build docs ready.
Mark

Post by Mark »

drew wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:12 am Pedalpcb.com has a pretty good hookup with Tayda Electronics. You can order powder coated enclosures, drilled to match the PCBs. They can also put your graphic design on the boxes, if you’re one of those people who can create graphic designs. So it’s not too hard or expensive to produce a pedal that’s at least halfway decent looking. I made a few in the early days of the pandemic. The two I linked above are apparently brand new releases that don’t even have the build docs ready.
Thanks for your reply, I have seen Tayda’s offer to create the box from a graphic design, but I don’t know what program to use and how to get it to the size of the box.

I suppose I should put more effort into this side of building pedals.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

Reeltarded wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:28 pm Paying Vertex for a japanese distortion unit surely is a waste of money.
LOL. There's an early episode of That Pedal Show where someone sent in a Vertex "Steel String" pedal for them to try for a "Pick N' Mix" review. It's likely the most awkward pedal review I've ever watched. Kinda funny, not to mention that they're testing it through a Two Rock head and cab, already an ODS-leaning (if not a clone) rig. Instead of the usually immediate, somewhat giddy/coy looks they give each other when taking a bite out of a new pedal, they continually fiddle with the pedal, then the amp, then the pedal, trying desperately to find an inspiring tone. I think they want it so bad, but they don't really find it. "It doesn't have that glassy top end, but it's really warm...Maybe we should read the manual, a bit late for that now I suppose...right." :lol:

Found it:

I actually have an early version of this pedal, and where it shines is going into the front of an EL84 amp. Dealer's choice, I suppose.
Just plug it in, man.