Mortality - Some Thoughts

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Phil_S

Mortality - Some Thoughts

Post by Phil_S »

Read the obit today for Dino Danelli, drummer for the Rascals. I saw the Young Rascals when I was about 13 or 14 years old! It was one of those hit parade shows -- maybe they played 3-5 songs. Among other things, the obit said he found Good Lovin' in the bargain bin in a record store in Harlem and they reworked it into a hit! But I diverge.

Dino was "only" 78. It got me to thinking. I'm less than a decade behind him. Maybe a few others here might be in the same boat as me? So, what will happen to my stuff? The guitars will be fine. Someone will know what they are and they'll go to a good home. That's the easy part. What about all that tube gear I've accumulated? I have about a dozen or so amps I've built. a pile of tubes, transformers, and other parts. By definition, home brew makes the amps "no name" stuff. No one close to me has any idea what they are or their market value (collectively maybe a couple of thou'?) I've also got a couple of 60's Gibson amps, which, in some circles, have almost achieved sub-boutique status.

I'm not ready to part with my toys. Not yet. Seriously, I don't want them to end up on the curb (which would be better than the dump.) How does one go about sorting this out?
johnnyreece

Re: Mortality - Some Thoughts

Post by johnnyreece »

I just turned 40 this year and have only scratched the surface on thinking about my mortality. My nerd self would photograph and catalog my "of interest" items and keep it where my family could find it so that they know at least what to Google to find prices. Luckily, my wife takes enough interest in my hobbies that she at least has a decent idea of what some things are. It's funny, I know I mentioned it in another thread, but I have taken possession of a large part of a hoard of vintage speakers. It seems the former proprietor must not have had a plan with where his stuff would go. I'm trying to not accumulate too many things, luckily (I mean, except for the 800 or so vintage speakers I bought...). Wow...lots of rambling. I suppose that reinforces the point that I've not thought much about it yet? :oops:
xtian

Post by xtian »

Gettin' old. Not for sissies.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

I am old enough to "see the end of my life" ............ meaning that I'm the oldest of my generation (siblings and cousins). And that I watched my parents take their last breath. Chronologically, I'd be the next to pass away. It gives one MUCH to think about ................ including what's truly important and of value and what one wants to pass on including musical stuff like amps and guitars and so forth. And what I wish to pass on to my kids and 14 grandkids in values about life and relationships.

I scanned ALL of my photos and ALL of my wife's photos, ALL the family photos ...................etc ............... all on one thumb drive. The realization of ALL of my life on one small thumb drive gives me pause for thought ................... not in any dismal way but in a manner of sorting out what is of true value in life and what mark will I leave in the world and in the lives of others. I see this process as a good thing. It helps me sort out and place value in my life and cause me to ponder what I believe and hold to be true and good.

Fortunately, I"ve got younger musicians in the family system following me as well as younger musician friends.

Having said all that, I find much in my life to be grateful for and have true hope that lies before me.

I should add that I am in the "downsizing" process already in my life & recognizing that many things I purchase will be the "last one" of those .......... like fishing reels, battery chargers, etc... and that they should last me well til the end of my life. :D

with respect, 10thtx
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Great thread, I too have been feeling it, and I'm only 52, but lost an aunt a few months back, and my parents are getting up there, mom's just hit 80 and my dads 84.

Also why does everything have to hurt so much more now :D

10thTx, I'd copy that to like 2 or three other locations. Thumb drives die and get lost.... I'd use some cloud location like dropbox, google drive etc as one of those backups.

:)

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
romberg

Post by romberg »

Phil_S wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:41 am No one close to me has any idea what they are or their market value (collectively maybe a couple of thou'?) I've also got a couple of 60's Gibson amps, which, in some circles, have almost achieved sub-boutique status.

I'm not ready to part with my toys. Not yet. Seriously, I don't want them to end up on the curb (which would be better than the dump.) How does one go about sorting this out?
I've recently had to deal with this problem from the point of view of the survivor. And the hard reality is that unless the original collector takes very specific and very detailed steps for the diposition of their items, many may very well end up on the curb or tossed into the dump. It all comes down to time.

Whoever has to deal with all the stuff has a limited amount of it. And the collector spent decades learning about and gathering all that stuff. No matter how much the survivor cared about the departed they will probably never have the same knowledge. It is not enough to pass on "this is a valuable item worth X".

Put yourself into the shoes of the person trying to find a new home for all of it. What exactly is it? A complete description suitable to describe it to a new owner would be best. Remember whoever is dealing with it probably has not clue. Where exactly should this be sold? To whom? For about how much? Are there any specific people who could help? If you yourself had to dispose of your entire collection in a few weeks, what is the wheat and what is the chaff? How would you deal with the chaff? Because in the end, the curb or the dump is in it's future unless you pass on something more helpful.

I need to start creating an inventory and detailed instructions for some of my junk. If I really think about it, the list of things I really care about is probably much smaller than I'd initially guess. The rest can be a good bargain for someone else :).

Mike
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

The time to do this lessening is every time you think about it.

Also, don't sweat it too much. When you are gone you won't care about the stuff. Procrastinate. Let some of it be lost into time. That is a premium use for you. Not worrying. Remember when we were kids and just wanted to be old enough to be free?

Be free.

Prices are unknown. A letter describing each thing inside that thing with the date you bought it and price is decent information.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

10thTx, I'd copy that to like 2 or three other locations.
I meant that ALL the photos actually fit on one drive. I have backup copies that have already been sent to kids.
BobSimpson

Post by BobSimpson »

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

BobSimpson wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:32 am I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
I love lord of the rings!

(JUST KIDDING!!! I know it's blade runner)

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
drew

Post by drew »

Phil_S wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:41 am
1. Get a piece of paper and a pen, write "if no one wants any of this stuff after I'm gone, log in to my account at ampgarage.com [provide username and password], post that I'm dead and does anyone want this stuff?", and tape it to a piece of equipment.
2. Otherwise, as long as you've already got a living trust or a will set up for whatever significant assets you may have, just live your life and don't spend a second worrying about any of this.
3. #1 is optional.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

The time is coming soon, so my wife designed our headstone.
Mark
20220720_165752.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

:o

My ex did that but filled in the expiration date for me.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

So your saying I'm very lucky to have such a wife!
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

drew wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:17 pm 1. Get a piece of paper and a pen, write "if no one wants any of this stuff after I'm gone, log in to my account at ampgarage.com [provide username and password], post that I'm dead and does anyone want this stuff?", and tape it to a piece of equipment.
Somehow, as the poser of the question, I didn't think it was such good form to suggest this. It has crossed my mind quite a few times. I still need to make a photo inventory and label everything. I'm hoping we'll move soon. It's time to downsize the house, but I need to upsize the workshop! I figured maybe I'd get lucky and I'd be able to more "properly" organize the stuff I won't need after I'm gone :shock: It would make this so much easier!

I'm older than Mark. (Not by that much.) My wife has launched a mission to buy burial plots. I keep telling her, I might not die here, so what's the point? I'm not going to win that one. She's also on a mission for me to get rid of stuff I don't need anymore. I'm not going to win that one either. Anyone need a good suit (no junk, good name brands) in 38 Short? I think I've got 10 of them.

i agree with Miles. I won't care about any of it when I'm gone. I might procrastinate even though I'd rather not.

Some interesting replies here.