Xmas lights miracle

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

xtian

Xmas lights miracle

Post by xtian »

Help me understand maths, physics, and steep post-holiday discounts.

I bought some LED xmas lights at 75% percent off. So far so good.

I plugged in one string with 50 LEDs into my metered outlet--it draws a bit less than 0.5 watts, and the LEDs are nice and bright. (Just to confirm, I plugged in all four strings, and the total draw is 1.8 watts).

Ohm's Law says, 120vAC, 0.5 watts = 4.17mA. Divide by 50 LEDs, and that's 0.08mA per LED.

Compare with a single 3mm LED at 5v with 20mA = 0.1w ...mult by 50 = 5 watts.

How are these xmas strings so efficient? Or, what bonehead thing am I missing?
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
xtian

Re: Xmas lights miracle

Post by xtian »

Often I gain insight just by typing stuff up. Thanks for letting me display my ignorance in front of a friendly audience.

What if all 50 LEDs are in series, and each drops 2 volts? Then the operating voltage would be 120-2*50 = 20v, and that would make 25mA each.
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

That is definitely a question you should ask the AI robot overlords. Also ask them what their favorite single malt Scotch is. Return and report! :mrgreen:
Just plug it in, man.
xtian

Post by xtian »

My friend wants to know, what is your favorite single malt Scotch?

As an artificial intelligence, I don't have personal preferences or the ability to consume alcohol. However, I can tell you about some popular single malt Scotch whiskies that are well-regarded by many people. Some popular options include:

Glenfiddich 12 Year: This whisky is made in the Speyside region of Scotland and is known for its notes of apple, pear, and oak.

The Glenlivet 12 Year: Another whisky from the Speyside region, this one is known for its notes of citrus, vanilla, and almond.

Laphroaig 10 Year: This whisky is made on the island of Islay and is known for its smoky, peaty flavor.

Oban 14 Year: This whisky is made in the west coast of Scotland and is known for its rich, complex flavor with notes of dried fruit, nuts, and spices.

These are just a few examples, but there are many other excellent single malt Scotch whiskies to choose from. It's a matter of personal preference which one you might like the best.
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

EXCELLENT! Noted.

I asked Siri why LED Christmas lights are so efficient, and her answer was less than vanilla, just that they use light emitting diodes as opposed to incandescents filaments for light, which was understood in the question.

Then I asked her what the best single malt Scotch was, she only suggested that it was "a moderately peated Scotch, with the smoke held in check by other flavors," but neglected to pick one.

Since that suggests the best single malt is one that possesses the greatest balance, I'm going to have to go with Anakin Scotchwalker.

[Edit: I know, it was meant to be a REALLY bad joke. Mission accomplished.]
Last edited by ViperDoc on Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just plug it in, man.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

:roll:
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

xtian wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:59 am
My friend wants to know, what is your favorite single malt Scotch?

As an artificial intelligence, I don't have personal preferences or the ability to consume alcohol. However, I can tell you about some popular single malt Scotch whiskies that are well-regarded by many people. Some popular options include:

Glenfiddich 12 Year: This whisky is made in the Speyside region of Scotland and is known for its notes of apple, pear, and oak.

The Glenlivet 12 Year: Another whisky from the Speyside region, this one is known for its notes of citrus, vanilla, and almond.

Laphroaig 10 Year: This whisky is made on the island of Islay and is known for its smoky, peaty flavor.

Oban 14 Year: This whisky is made in the west coast of Scotland and is known for its rich, complex flavor with notes of dried fruit, nuts, and spices.

These are just a few examples, but there are many other excellent single malt Scotch whiskies to choose from. It's a matter of personal preference which one you might like the best.
see even the robot overlords know about laphroaig! :)

~Phil
tUber Nerd!