Are these old klusons worth anything

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Phil_S

Re: Are these old klusons worth anything

Post by Phil_S »

cbass wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:17 pm That wire splice is making me sick to my stomach.
I dunno. Certainly not "workmanlike." If it is soldered under the heat shrink, it is probably OK. Even without solder, probably OK. It is not seeing any stress from being pulled and the like. I don't think I'd mess with it.
didit

Post by didit »

cbass wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:55 pm Is this an early p90?
Reeltarded wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:59 pm No.
Reeltarded wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:11 pm it is all you had to do was post a complete pic lmao that is a p90 lift the bridge
cbass wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:17 pm I don't think it's a p90 but I don't know much.
We know enough. It's a fine approximation of a proto-p90 from that era they were working out a mass production design.

Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

The smooth flat poles confused me, no rectangle base confusing until you posted the pic. Usually a milled nipple with a concentric set of circles and a rectangle base, also a cover so deep it looks like a pillow on an archtop.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
didit

Post by didit »

Reeltarded wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:15 pm The smooth flat poles confused me, no rectangle base confusing until you posted the pic. Usually a milled nipple with a concentric set of circles and a rectangle base, also a cover so deep it looks like a pillow on an archtop.
Eloquent description of mass production p90 C1950 or even a few weeks earlier, whereas threads trace back to various '30s lapsteel, then ES-150 and then and then ..
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I was willing to believe that a decent machinist copied one from an archtop before I saw the knobs. The bobbin milling is pretty chewy. :lol:
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
cbass

Post by cbass »

Phil_S wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:32 pm
cbass wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:17 pm That wire splice is making me sick to my stomach.
I dunno. Certainly not "workmanlike." If it is soldered under the heat shrink, it is probably OK. Even without solder, probably OK. It is not seeing any stress from being pulled and the like. I don't think I'd mess with it.
It looks a lot more janky in person bare wires with dope on them passing through the plate. From what i can tell its factory.
I'm not to worried about it. I don't think this thing would bring $500 and im not really into lap steel much. Might take the parts and build a lp Jr clone
Last edited by cbass on Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cbass

Post by cbass »

Reeltarded wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:50 pm I was willing to believe that a decent machinist copied one from an archtop before I saw the knobs. The bobbin milling is pretty chewy. :lol:
Yea I noticed that. The chain on the saw must have been getting dull. Overall the craftsmanship is on this thing pretty crappy. I would have sworn it was made of poplar wich i wouldn't have thought gibson would use but i guess it could be some kind of crap maple.That's what led me to belive it was homemade . The pickup does sound good perhaps a bit Brite. Might sound better with some 300k pots or maybe mounted to some Honduras mahogany will Mellow it out.
TZRsteve

Post by TZRsteve »

If its made by man it will eventually break. So the new wire and heatshrink dont bother me in the least
cbass

Post by cbass »

TZRsteve wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:34 pm If its made by man it will eventually break. So the new wire and heatshrink dont bother me in the least
It was from the factory like that. Guess it was done good enough to still work after after nearly 80 years

I've been playing around on it the pre p90 in it screams.
I'm tempted to try it in a guitar but I would have to install it on an angle because the string spacing is so wide.
I'm thinking about using it like giant Tele bridge pickup.