Yellow Mallory 150 caps, something diff here..

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

rooster

Yellow Mallory 150 caps, something diff here..

Post by rooster »

I was wondering why I was seeing so many NOS Mallory tubular yellow metal film caps lately. I won't comment on how they might sound different, but I can point out that there is an easy way to determine the old from the new. The old yellow 150M Mallorys are stamped with a four digit date code. In the photos below (of the NOS part) you'll see the 'Mallory 150 M' branding first, beneath this, '.01 uf +/- 10%, and then beneath this '630V 0618'.

This translates to a 630V capacitor made in 2006 during the 18th week of that year. If this date isn't on the part, then it's a new product made in either China or Mexico. These newer caps are typically followed by two capital letters beside the voltage rating. For example, in the photos below you can see '630VDC LV'. (I have no idea what the letters 'LV' mean. However, I'm quite sure that these are not Roman numerals because I have some other newer Mallorys here have the letters 'AC' on them after the 630VDC.
IMG_6183.jpg
IMG_6182.jpg
IMG_6185.jpg
IMG_6186.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?
Mark

Re: Yellow Mallory 150 caps, something diff here..

Post by Mark »

The M150’s were white for a while. Maybe there was demand for the yellow ones for some reason. I have some yellow M150’s that are while old. I will have to check them.

https://modulusamplification.com/mallor ... 3129-p.asp
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott