Addicted to SPL

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Reeltarded

Addicted to SPL

Post by Reeltarded »

I just played mostly Zeppelin songs for three hours. Holy shit. I use these amps with lots of gain at medium volumes and forget umm.. what I came here for.

I lost a bunch of dynamics, accuracy, and speed in my accident. Mostly from physical inability to hold the guitar for a couple years. It's not the greatest playing I've ever done, but the action of the amps I built after my time here creates an excitement that makes it still worth doing. It's frustrating. Maybe I can be inspired to.. I dunno.. recover some more. I played loud enough to compress my ears into a little ringing. Not like 1988 or something, but probably full normal volume facing into cabs at a meter. RAWR

I wish it was 1988 again.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
LOUDthud

Re: Addicted to SPL

Post by LOUDthud »

Are you using a slant 4x12 ? They're hard on your ears as a half stack. The straight cabs shoot the SPLs to the audience.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I'm using 2 slants and 2 straights at around 750w probably about 150 of that is headroom by looking at meters. I run -14/-12dBu. The thump is incredible. G12/75s are like piles being driven into granite. Damn! I LOVE THIS AMP!
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Reeltarded wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:00 am
I lost a bunch of dynamics, accuracy, and speed in my accident. Mostly from physical inability to hold the guitar for a couple years.

Maybe I can be inspired to.. I dunno.. recover some more.
If you don’t mind me asking : What’s your pain ? What’s your handicap ?
Charlie
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Reeltarded wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:51 am I'm using 2 slants and 2 straights at around 750w probably about 150 of that is headroom by looking at meters. I run -14/-12dBu. The thump is incredible. G12/75s are like piles being driven into granite. Damn! I LOVE THIS AMP!
I wish I was there
Charlie
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

WhopperPlate wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:42 pm
I lost a bunch of dynamics, accuracy, and speed in my accident. Mostly from physical inability to hold the guitar for a couple years.

Stairs, apparently. I got deep purple from my waistline to two inches above my right ear and everything in that zone was about equal to a racecar impact. My right shoulder and left hip are sort of a mess. It broke my right clavicle. Took away all right hand things. I got a fairly long term traumatic brain injury and it did something hard to explain to hearing in my right ear. The goo inside my skull got too big for the space for some unknown long period. Science fiction. But, other than that IM FUCKING AMAZING!! I got to talk to dead people for umm at least months and it knocked a bunch of music and math out of me. My temporal thing is still pretty broken. It made coffee taste different. Bummer! Everything hurts but I had a great run just glad it didn't happen when I was a kid. (does David Lee Roth scream and flips drunk off a two story drum riser into a case of heineken and a fifth of cuervo)

It should have killed me and I have often wished that it did! If life strts at sixty.. oh no! If you guys piss off a god come dress me up like a virgin and throw me in a volcano. I'll watch tiktok and pretend not to notice. It's method acting that might save you from a drought!
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Reeltarded wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:51 pm
WhopperPlate wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:42 pm

Stairs, apparently. I got deep purple from my waistline to two inches above my right ear and everything in that zone was about equal to a racecar impact. My right shoulder and left hip are sort of a mess. It broke my right clavicle. Took away all right hand things. I got a fairly long term traumatic brain injury and it did something hard to explain to hearing in my right ear. The goo inside my skull got too big for the space for some unknown long period. Science fiction. But, other than that IM FUCKING AMAZING!! I got to talk to dead people for umm at least months and it knocked a bunch of music and math out of me. My temporal thing is still pretty broken. It made coffee taste different. Bummer! Everything hurts but I had a great run just glad it didn't happen when I was a kid. (does David Lee Roth scream and flips drunk off a two story drum riser into a case of heineken and a fifth of cuervo)

It should have killed me and I have often wished that it did! If life strts at sixty.. oh no!

If you guys piss off a god come dress me up like a virgin and throw me in a volcano. I'll watch tiktok and pretend not to notice. It's method acting that might save you from a drought!
Might workout for you. Joe survived the volcano, and it cured his brain fog.
I'm curious, how big is the room in which you're pummelling your organs?
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
Scumback Speakers

Post by Scumback Speakers »

I hear you Reeltarded. Before I had my heart transplant last March, I wasn't feeling well enough to play guitar much. Fingertips got soft, dexterity was lacking, Yada yada. All of the meds made my fingers tremble and my hands had tremors. The latest med changes seem to have cured that...finally, and I'm getting better slowly.

Now that I'm almost recovered, though, I am just a wimp on guitar, IMO. It's going to be a long road back to being a shadow of my former self, or even five years ago.

So hang in there, sir, that's what I'm doing.

Jim
Scumback - Guitar Speakers That Kick Ass!
http://youtu.be/u6U30BV2kFM
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
www.scumbackspeakers.com
https://www.facebook.com/scumbackspeakers/
https://www.instagram.com/scumback_speakers/
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

The room is like 600sqft ish. I think brain fog could be fun if you could make it dispense from your ears. Aaaoooooooogah..

Jim! Heart transplant!? I bet. I hope that's working out for you. At least we can plug in and crank up the amps and laugh at bedroom level.. "yeah, I was playing at bedroom level.. officer."
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Scumback Speakers wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:10 pm I hear you Reeltarded. Before I had my heart transplant last March, I wasn't feeling well enough to play guitar much. Fingertips got soft, dexterity was lacking, Yada yada. All of the meds made my fingers tremble and my hands had tremors. The latest med changes seem to have cured that...finally, and I'm getting better slowly.

Now that I'm almost recovered, though, I am just a wimp on guitar, IMO. It's going to be a long road back to being a shadow of my former self, or even five years ago.

So hang in there, sir, that's what I'm doing.

Jim
Holy cow , glad you are alive and well and feeling better . Heart transplants; This is when medical science blows my mind .
Charlie
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Reeltarded wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:51 pm

It should have killed me and I have often wished that it did! If life strts at sixty.. oh no! If you guys piss off a god come dress me up like a virgin and throw me in a volcano. I'll watch tiktok and pretend not to notice. It's method acting that might save you from a drought!
What doesn’t kill us …makes us more stubbornly live inspite of our handicaps

Glad you survived the fall to continue to deliver us your endless wit

Whereas it sounds your injuries are far beyond mine , I got my left wrist right shoulder and left knee with different degrees of damage and strain . I have my strength , but let’s just say I don’t want to be the lead shred master wanker wizard that my teenage self lusted after . Biddly biddly doesn’t feel great forever :mrgreen:
Charlie
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

Go loud or go home.......
Uh, stay home and go loud..... :lol:

Sorry to hear of your physical issues. Here's to being on the mend a bit!
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I deal with it like everything else. I laugh and wait for the punchline.

:idea: