Incandescent light bulb ban

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

WhopperPlate

Incandescent light bulb ban

Post by WhopperPlate »

Anyone else as frustrated with this as me? I hate LED lighting with the passionate fire of a million raging suns.

As if it’s not bad enough that when I go out into the world I gotta be blinded by them from oncoming traffic and lamp posts, but now they are basically forcing them out of my own home unless I go outta my way to get them in Timbuktu ?

And I have tried every potential variety and solution. I don’t care if you dim them , filter them or warm them; the only way they don’t give me headaches or hurt my eyes is to remove them.

Am I not the only one who feels this way about LED lights? Hate them
Charlie
Phil_S

Re: Incandescent light bulb ban

Post by Phil_S »

It's a mixed bag. In some places they are OK. Others, not so much. I find getting the right temperature helps a lot. 2700K is the right temperature. I don't know why 2700K is so hard to find. Don't look directly at naked LED bulbs. Ick.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

The warmer color temp was quite a breakthrough for LED lighting, and they are much more tolerable. Must be the narrow spectrum, just not what we’re used to. At ~7 times better efficiency in power consumption per lumen it’s a necessary sacrifice.
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

martin manning wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 8:02 pm The warmer color temp was quite a breakthrough for LED lighting, and they are much more tolerable. Must be the narrow spectrum, just not what we’re used to. At ~7 times better efficiency in power consumption per lumen it’s a necessary sacrifice.
Still “ breaksthrough”my retinas. :mrgreen:
IMG_2881.gif
I remember the first time I upgraded my old iPad to a newer model. I brought it home and couldn’t stare at the thing for more than 10 minutes without becoming disoriented and having trouble focusing my vision. I thought I was crazy at first . Spent a day trying it out and kept having a hard time . Looked up the spec sheet : LED screen. Old screen: LCD. Went back and got the only model left with LCD. No more problems .

Keep in mind, I have inevitably tried dimming, filtering , glasses, blah blah. Still hurts

I hate LED

being constantly annoyed and potentially injured by lighting is a sacrifice others can make to feel they are saving the earth. I can deal with their choices as they blind me with their permanent high beams , but it’s too much to manufacture ANY incandescents so I can live comfortably …

It’s always cute when the most hypocritical power consuming entity on earth dictates policy.

On a similar tip , I will also keep my horrible and dreaded power hungry vacuum tubes .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Charlie
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

I don’t think a niche product like vacuum tubes is any threat, the percentage of overall energy consumption is just too small to matter much.
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

martin manning wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 8:30 pm I don’t think a niche product like vacuum tubes is any threat, the percentage of overall energy consumption is just too small to matter much.
enough negative media limelight and anything is possible
Charlie
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

martin manning wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 8:30 pm I don’t think a niche product like vacuum tubes is any threat, the percentage of overall energy consumption is just too small to matter much.
But I am rooting for your prediction!
Charlie
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Damned “Narrowband”
IMG_2872.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Charlie
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Too much green, not enough red. Wire up a red LED lamp to balance the white LED?
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Phil_S wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 7:10 pm Too much green, not enough red. Wire up a red LED lamp to balance the white LED?
Will there ever be enough red from that narrow band ?
IMG_2873.jpeg
Maybe I need to just switch to xenon bulbs
IMG_2874.jpeg
Charlie
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

It'll all be fine after your cataract surgery. :mrgreen:
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

They've been banned from Europe for a few years now and I can still buy some in the shops, and vacuum tubes too. Big propaganda and not much to make for its application in the "real" world - here, at least, but you know France ... :?

(kind of bashing which would have made me temporarily banned, somewhere else)
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

ChopSauce wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 8:10 am They've been banned from Europe for a few years now and I can still buy some in the shops, and vacuum tubes too. Big propaganda and not much to make for its application in the "real" world - here, at least, but you know France ... :?

(kind of bashing which would have made me temporarily banned, somewhere else)

I can get Chinese ones that last one-tenth of their rating 7 days a week here because that is how many days I have to shop for them to keep one pair working. lol
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

Although this may be a general rant about the ban on incandescent bulbs, the common complaint within our community seems to be more centered around dim bulb testers.

I recently built a new dim bulb tester/ammeter/voltmeter setup for working on high-power audio gear, using halogen bulbs. I can switch between one or two 100-watt bulbs, and between the bulb load or direct. Very compact and little chance of breakage. The chassis box is repurposed from some test instrument, the hospital grade outlet was salvaged from an old military hospital, and I made a recessed box for the bulbs and covered the opening with mesh for protection.

The halogen bulbs seem to work quite well for this purpose, so I'm not sweating the scarcity of incandescent bulbs anymore (though I still have a box full).

TatarianDBT1.jpg
TatarianDBT2.jpg
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

gktamps wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 2:36 pm Although this may be a general rant about the ban on incandescent bulbs, the common complaint within our community seems to be more centered around dim bulb testers.

I recently built a new dim bulb tester/ammeter/voltmeter setup for working on high-power audio gear, using halogen bulbs. I can switch between one or two 100-watt bulbs, and between the bulb load or direct. Very compact and little chance of breakage. The chassis box is repurposed from some test instrument, the hospital grade outlet was salvaged from an old military hospital, and I made a recessed box for the bulbs and covered the opening with mesh for protection.

The halogen bulbs seem to work quite well for this purpose, so I'm not sweating the scarcity of incandescent bulbs anymore (though I still have a box full).

TatarianDBT1.jpg
TatarianDBT2.jpg
I figure I’d leave that subject matter for someone like yourself to chime in. Thanks for the inspiration.

Halogen lamps are what I keep above the work bench , that spectrum is easy on my eyes and provides great clarity for peeking into a chassis . Not as warm as my 300w incandescent shop bulb hanging in the ceiling ballast, but together they give me sunlight inside. Sure, the power bill is high , but I would rather pay out of pocket for an electrical bill than a medical bill .
Charlie