Cracked Ovation back

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

angelodp

Cracked Ovation back

Post by angelodp »

Just helping out a pal that has an Ovation 12 string with a couple of bad dings (cracked through- 2 inches in spots) in the back shell. The top, neck, bridge and tuners are all fine. This could be rescued. I have done guitar repair but not encountered one of these shell type guitars. I am thinking of a resin epoxy of some sort and sourcing some very thin sheets of fiberglass or the like to build a layer inside the guitar. A bit of careful filling and sanding and then paint should get this back to playable status. If you have any experience with such a repair I would love to hear any recommends on how you managed the rescue.

Best A
xtian

Re: Cracked Ovation back

Post by xtian »

No experience, but I'd think JB Weld epoxy would be good--it's already dark grey in color. :)
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

Haven't tried it myself, but I bet CA glue would do the trick. Maybe even CA glue/baking soda if you need filler. Fiberglass/epoxy would definitely be more durable and closer to the original construction method, but you could probably get away with going an easier route.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Good quality epoxy like West System or Total Boat. Add black powder pigment. Don't use the stuff from the big box store. Painters tape on the outside will give good conformity to the body and will give a matte finish. Apply with a syringe and 18ga needle from the inside. Use 10ml or 5ml syringe. The needles are blunt and made for glue/epoxy. Drill a small hole (maybe 1/8") if there is no way to get the epoxy to flow from inside to outside. Wear gloves. Wipe up any mess on the inside and I don't think a little left behind will be a consideration.

Show us a picture. How bad is it?
angelodp

Post by angelodp »

Hi, so I am proceeding with cyano glue, various viscosity and sanding back. I used a thin black cardboard on the interior worst area.... very small. That glued down very well and then I sanded that back on the edges and it's almost gone. I am filling in the cracks with the cyano and sanding. It's coming along pretty well. I am wondering about a paint type that might be in the ballpark for the spatter type pain Ovation uses. This is not a project that needs to be perfect, just playable. The sanded back areas will be smooth and follow the contours. I have a new nut coming in and will adjust the action. This is for my grandson at college.

Thanks for the suggestions. JB weld was a contender, but the cyano was also a quick method.

Here are the before pics, I'll post the after as soon as the sanding is done.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by angelodp on Sun May 28, 2023 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

FWIW,I think CA glue will be OK for some of that. You think it will cover the big hole? The drawback of CA glue is that I think it is more brittle than the back material. Could be fine. Good luck with it.
angelodp

Post by angelodp »

Yes, proceeding with a small black cardboard patch on the interior and then filling back with the cyano. It's coming in rock solid. I have sanded the interior cardboard patch so it is beveled and thin, also fully wetted with the cyano. Little by little the cyano is filling in and coming smooth. With the right speckled paint it will be a good recovery. I also plan on painting the interior areas with West epoxy, thin coat to make it all super tight.
angelodp

Post by angelodp »

Nearly there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Looking good and the price is right!
angelodp

Post by angelodp »

Thanks Phil, she lives, and sounds ok. Good college guitar!!
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Nice work! That guitar took a shot. I could play a mean Closer To The Heart on that thing.
angelodp

Post by angelodp »

Thanks Dave, love to bring these relics back to life.
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

Nice save!