grounding scheme

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

maxkracht

grounding scheme

Post by maxkracht »

Someone got this completed champ kit in a trade and asked me to rebuild. Can't remember if he said it was intermittent or didn't work at all. Didn't bother plugging it in before taking it apart. I think Weber was playing a dirty trick...
IMG_9416.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xtian

Re: grounding scheme

Post by xtian »

Not sure what you're pointing out...but that's a chewed up bit of kit!
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

I doubt Weber is responsible for that mess!
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

xtian wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:31 am Not sure what you're pointing out...but that's a chewed up bit of kit!
I believe he's pointing out that the brass plate still had the protective plastic on it. :lol: Their chassis are polished stainless, so they might have connected to ground through the jacks, but I could see there being some intermittent issues, for sure.
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

johnnyreece wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:06 pm
xtian wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:31 am Not sure what you're pointing out...but that's a chewed up bit of kit!
I believe he's pointing out that the brass plate still had the protective plastic on it. :lol: Their chassis are polished stainless, so they might have connected to ground through the jacks, but I could see there being some intermittent issues, for sure.
:P
I don’t see how that’s the supplier’s fault though?
Rather it’s to their credit that the contacting surface was kept shiny and oxide free prior to assembly.
If the builder doesn’t understand that kinda thing it seems questionable whether they’re competent to be building mains powered equipment.
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

pdf64 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:39 pm I don’t see how that’s the supplier’s fault though?
Sorry, OP said Weber might be messing with them; I was simply giving a suggestion about what I believed OP was pointing out. No blame assignment on my end. 8)
angelodp

Post by angelodp »

Plastic might have been there to prevent oxidation prior to assembly, so operator error....novice omission.
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

I thought the plastic was funny... I don't really blame Weber, but I have heard lots of complaints from first or second time builders who think "kit" means there will be instructions or all of the pieces will fit without modification. A printed FAQ attached to the layout would probably save lots of headaches, though I don't know if I would think to mention removing the cling film from the brass. I guess it would have been mostly fine if every ground went to that plate...
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

Yeah, their website has undergone several changes over the years. It used to make it extremely obvious that there was minimal information, and a link to their forum (which doesn't seem to exist anymore, sadly). Here's what their kit-building landing page used to be:
Weber.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xtian

Post by xtian »

OMG. I see it now. LOL.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

Cling film removed, slightly less chaotic wiring job, sounds like a champ.
IMG_9422.jpg
angelodp

Post by angelodp »

Great, and now NFB switch and Tone-stack bypass :shock: :)
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Nice work, Max!
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

Colossal wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:30 am Nice work, Max!
Thanks
angelodp wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:47 pm Great, and now NFB switch and Tone-stack bypass :shock: :)
Thought about the nfb switch, no tone stack to bypass on the 5f1 chassis. I did put in a hidden second gain stage cathode bypass switch on the second input using a trs jack. Can also use a foot switch this way if desired.
jabguit

Post by jabguit »

angelodp wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:47 pm Great, and now NFB switch and Tone-stack bypass :shock: :)
Tone stack??
Jack Briggs
Briggs Guitars