hybrid axial radial caps

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

maxkracht

hybrid axial radial caps

Post by maxkracht »

Pulled these Elna caps from an Australian amp and thought it was interesting. I do that trick sometimes with heatshrink, but I've never seen the factory made version. Has anyone else seen these? Transitional period before radial became the more common type? PCB said May '83.
IMG_9647.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sluckey

Re: hybrid axial radial caps

Post by sluckey »

I've never seen that.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Haw! Cheaters.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

I've been thinking about this. It looks wrong. I think these are counterfeit. Someone made some Elna labels and did that. Someone should ask Elna directly if these are legit. I don't think the answer will be a surprise.
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

My assumption was, Elna needed to fulfill a contract for axial caps while they were phasing them out and this was good enough. Certainly could be counterfeit, but it was a production amp from a proper company and did not look like it had been molested in any way. Only other oddity, one of the rectifier diodes was a different package than the other 3. Changed them because it skeeved me out. Recapped due to age, but everything was working fine. Guy just brought it to me to put in a PT that works on 120v. Decent sounding amp, aside from a cheezy reverb.
IMG_9668.jpeg
IMG_9585.jpg
IMG_9588.jpeg
IMG_9591.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.