Music Electronics Forum

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: Music Electronics Forum

Post by pompeiisneaks »

dorrisant wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:35 am I wonder... I would foot the bill (yes, $$$) to keep it afloat. Same with this site if it were to ever come to that. If anyone hears anything where this is possible, let me know. I don't want to do it for any monetary gain. I hope it would never come to the point of someone takes over or it would be no more. There is just so much useful/helpful info contained at that site, that it would be like burning down you local main library branch. It is that important to a lot of people.

Maybe it would be possible for others here to clone the site for posterity. I would be interested in helping if that came up. We have to keep this stuff free and available.
There are a few tools taht 'might' work, one is an offline website trawler I've used, it just kinda stores the html and images as raw pages instead of dynamic changing content. Not the best but doable.
Another requires that the admins give access to the db and software version so you can dump the db (or just get a db dump) and import it into another. Since the owner/admin is having health issues that may not be feasible for now... sadly.

I do hope they get better soon.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
soundmasterg

Post by soundmasterg »

In Google Chrome if you go to the MEF page and it comes up with the certificate warning, if you click anywhere on the page and then type the following info "thisisunsafe" without the quotes and press enter, it will let you in for around a week or so when you would need to do it again. Has been working for me for months since the problem started there. Tboy (Steve) the site owner/admin runs the site out of his residence and has had health issues. He is on the road to recovery from what I have heard but he is unable to go to the server and fix the certificate issues at this time. There is really no solution until he is able to get back to better health and go fix the site from what I have gleaned. A few of the moderators have talked to Tboy's family and passed on the concern of the community and what is happening and have been able to get some of the info but there isn't much that can be done right now. Once the site is back up and Tboy is back to better health we should all contribute to the maintenance costs if we like the site. It is the least we can do to keep it running. My 2 cents anyway, and hopefully some of you can get into the site if you weren't able to previously.

Greg
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Thanks for that! And welcome!!
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
soundmasterg

Post by soundmasterg »

dorrisant wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:52 am Thanks for that! And welcome!!
You're welcome and thanks! I've been a lurker here for a looong time, and have posted at the MEF and Hoffman and other sites for decades, but I don't post much here unless I find something I can contribute to.

Greg
BrownIsound

Post by BrownIsound »

I have no idea on how this computer Mumbo jumbo works (magic?) but I notice that the pre Music Electronics forum (Ampage.org) is online and searchable. Can the same thing be done with the Music Electronics forum? (Asking for a dummy)
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

It looks to have the same expired security certificate issue that’s afflicting the main mef site.
BrownIsound

Post by BrownIsound »

Oh Ok.

I didn’t mean to give away my age bracket mentioning Ampage.org…or er, the dummy’s age.
gui_tarzan

Post by gui_tarzan »

The site is still running and is safe. I use Firefox to get to it, Brave won't let me.

Oops, didn't see Greg's post. :)

I met Enzo at his shop several years ago and bought several items he was getting rid of. He was a very smart guy with a great sense of humor. He helped me the most by encouraging learning, and when I had a question about an off-brand amp once he said "it's just an amp." He was right and that has stuck with me since.
--Jim

"He's like a new set of strings, he just needs to be stretched a bit."
angelodp

Post by angelodp »

Enzo was gem, he will be missed, but how lucky we were to have had his input all these years.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

gui_tarzan wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:23 am The site is still running and is safe. I use Firefox to get to it, Brave won't let me.

Oops, didn't see Greg's post. :)

I met Enzo at his shop several years ago and bought several items he was getting rid of. He was a very smart guy with a great sense of humor. He helped me the most by encouraging learning, and when I had a question about an off-brand amp once he said "it's just an amp." He was right and that has stuck with me since.
I would hesitate to say 'safe' It means that you're using tls communications, but with an untrusted certificate. Since we've seen the site seems fine and there's a good explanation, then we're taking a calculated risk. Pretty low risk, but still 'not safe' I think it's more proper to say it's a low risk right now because multiple people can confirm why it's expired.

I basically want people to understand to not just remove those kinds of warnings w/o understanding why. Other cases can be malicious attackers doing bad things and you should NOT bypass an invalid cert willy nilly.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

Just tapped on my MEF bookmark a few minutes ago and BINGO! Looks like they're finally back on the air with no access problems. Site says "new & improved". Indeed it looks a bit different. Haven't had but a quick peek so that's all I can honestly report at the moment.
down technical blind alleys . . .
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Leo_Gnardo wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:03 pm Just tapped on my MEF bookmark a few minutes ago and BINGO! Looks like they're finally back on the air with no access problems. Site says "new & improved". Indeed it looks a bit different. Haven't had but a quick peek so that's all I can honestly report at the moment.
Nice!! Thanks for the report, Leo. Good to see you back here again.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

dorrisant wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:17 am Nice!! Thanks for the report, Leo. Good to see you back here again.
And thanks for that dorrisant! I do stop in from time to time, lots of good things going on here too.

You got a nice mention on MEF last couple days, for offering your help in getting them back on their digital feet. Much appreciated!
down technical blind alleys . . .
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Leo_Gnardo wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:48 pm
dorrisant wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:17 am Nice!! Thanks for the report, Leo. Good to see you back here again.
And thanks for that dorrisant! I do stop in from time to time, lots of good things going on here too.

You got a nice mention on MEF last couple days, for offering your help in getting them back on their digital feet. Much appreciated!
I did... wow! I had no clue.