Music Electronics Forum

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

casey73

Music Electronics Forum

Post by casey73 »

Anyone know what happened to Music Electronics Forum, PKA Ampage? When I try to go there I get a security warning that the connection isn't secure. Haven't been able to access it in months.
imjonwain

Re: Music Electronics Forum

Post by imjonwain »

Same issue that happened here awhile back. Some browsers allow you to accept the dead certificate and visit anyway.
https://tfrelectronics.com/
https://oshpark.com/profiles/TFRelectronics
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Yeah it looks like the certificate expired over a month ago, may 28th... the site owners may be going awol on the forums...

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I just looked at a thread, and PRR is talking with someone there, appears the site owner's health has had a major setback of some kind... horrible to hear that kind of news. Hope they get better soon.

https://music-electronics-forum.com/for ... in-browser

Of course you do need to do the 'trust the expired cert thing' in your browser of choice, but basically the cert is 'VALID' but "Expired'. i.e. it is the right name, and used to work until it expired. I'm giving no promises mind you but it should be relatively safe to use.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
casey73

Post by casey73 »

I'm going to wait until it's known safe. Mostly I was checking to see if it was still a going concern. When it was still accessible last year I noticed they'd closed down some of the forums. Many of the regulars dropped away.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

I hope it doesn't go away. I have read so much good information there and collected a bunch of schematics through the years. Enzo was an amazing wealth of knowledge by himself. Sadly, he passed away not too long ago. He personally helped me many times, in particular with my beloved SWR Super Redhead. It would be a shame to deprive future searches of this highly valuable site.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
casey73

Post by casey73 »

dorrisant wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:54 pm I hope it doesn't go away. I have read so much good information there and collected a bunch of schematics through the years. Enzo was an amazing wealth of knowledge by himself. Sadly, he passed away not too long ago. He personally helped me many times, in particular with my beloved SWR Super Redhead. It would be a shame to deprive future searches of this highly valuable site.
I got into it via my tablet and it is still up and running.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

casey73 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:54 pm
dorrisant wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:54 pm I hope it doesn't go away. I have read so much good information there and collected a bunch of schematics through the years. Enzo was an amazing wealth of knowledge by himself. Sadly, he passed away not too long ago. He personally helped me many times, in particular with my beloved SWR Super Redhead. It would be a shame to deprive future searches of this highly valuable site.
I got into it via my tablet and it is still up and running.
I get into it too... Using a different browser. I was referring to the idea that it may shut down.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

dorrisant wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:09 pmI get into it too... Using a different browser.
Which browser do you use for that? Sure would be good to check up on the MEFsters. I'm worried about a permanent disappearance too. There's a deep well of repair knowledge there. Also a long running pickup forum addressing novices thru experts. Good things to know even if you don't build pickups. I expect traffic there is a trickle of the usual, which was beaten down badly just before covid, then that didn't do it any good either.
down technical blind alleys . . .
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

Safari on iphone and chrome on my win11 desktop get me in there fine, just have to click through the warnings and ‘visit site anyway’, may need to refresh page.
The browser then lets me visit there for a week unobstructed, after that need to repeat the process.

Much longer in that state is going to kill it off though, on a prolonged basis an expired security certificate is going to open the door to nasties.
Last edited by pdf64 on Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Leo_Gnardo wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:02 pm
dorrisant wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:09 pmI get into it too... Using a different browser.
Which browser do you use for that? Sure would be good to check up on the MEFsters. I'm worried about a permanent disappearance too. There's a deep well of repair knowledge there. Also a long running pickup forum addressing novices thru experts. Good things to know even if you don't build pickups. I expect traffic there is a trickle of the usual, which was beaten down badly just before covid, then that didn't do it any good either.
I am using Chrome from Win10 platform and get stopped with no option. I copy and paste in MS Edge. It gives a warning but allows me to "go to blah blah blah anyway". Same for my Motorola Android too.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

I wonder... I would foot the bill (yes, $$$) to keep it afloat. Same with this site if it were to ever come to that. If anyone hears anything where this is possible, let me know. I don't want to do it for any monetary gain. I hope it would never come to the point of someone takes over or it would be no more. There is just so much useful/helpful info contained at that site, that it would be like burning down you local main library branch. It is that important to a lot of people.

Maybe it would be possible for others here to clone the site for posterity. I would be interested in helping if that came up. We have to keep this stuff free and available.
cbass

Post by cbass »

I really hate to hear that about Enzo he was a very kind and patient man. He helped me fix several different solid state devices.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

cbass wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:00 pm I really hate to hear that about Enzo he was a very kind and patient man. He helped me fix several different solid state devices.
I agree... The man was a genius and very kind in helping others. He will be sorely missed. All of his wisdom should be accessible to all.
echuta13

Post by echuta13 »

I've been part of several forums over that last decade (or so) and while I don't personally know many of the people, I know their contributions to these communities. Sad to hear of Enzo's passing. :cry:
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.