Thinking about moving south

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Shrimp boat captain or window shutters?

Shrimp boat captain
53%
Window shutters
35%
Stay home and try to out ass hole the Yankees
12%

Total votes: 17

cbass

Re: Thinking about moving south

Post by cbass »

Southern Missouri is a big hardwood producer no imports here its all export. It's by far the biggest industry here. If anyone reading this has oak floors or cabinets. Theres a very good chance that wood was cut within a c hundred miles of where I am now an processed in this town. The most sought after walnut in the world is from here it all goes to Japan. If iwanted to invest in a 36" double sided Oliver planer for about 75,000 and hire some guys to run it I might make a little money planing wood.

The wood is not the big cost in building cabinets. I spend four times as much on plywood as I do hardwood .
cbass

Post by cbass »

That's just a long way of saying I've been. Down. That route. I can get rough lumber for almost nothing here. It's still not worth it to plane it down. Unless you want to invest In some very expensive equipment. I purchase lumber 13/16 straight lined on one side. Any thicknesing from that point is done on a wide belt sander
Last edited by cbass on Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cbass

Post by cbass »

Sorry about all the rambling guys my mind is really messed up right now. You wouldnt belive all the crap i had to deal with this weekend.
I apologize if i sounded pissy. Ive got everything i have from working wood. I get pretty passionate about it.

really don't want to go to work today. My mind is already in Alabama. My dreams are being dashed to pieces though. I can't speak Vietnamese so I guess I can't be a boat captain. Now I gotta plane rough lumber to make cabinets. Maybe the dollar general there is hiring 🤔. I'm just going on with ya no offense meant :)

If I can find a job with a good company that is focused on high quality work. I'd be happy to never run a business again and have wood shop for a hobby.
Again sorry about all crazy stuff. I'm not very good at conflict and drama and there's been a lot of it.
Again sorry to everyone on the board for clogging it up with my insane ramblings.

Sluckey I can't begin to thank.you enough. You are living proof that south Alabama is the friendliest place on earth. If I can get moved down there I'll owe you some suppers at the stagecoach. Don't worry you don't have to meet my crazy ass. I'll just get a gift certificate or something for you leave it there.
cbass

Post by cbass »

If the moderator wants to delete this thread I'm ok with it. I don't care if it stays up. Just might be better for the mental health of the forum. I just want to thank you guys for putting up with me. You guys really helped me get my anxiety under control. The situation is still the same or worse actually but somehow I feel fine. I think yall had a lot to do with that. Thanks
drew

Post by drew »

Leave it up in case you need proof that you were not of sound mind when you signed the contract for the new planer.
drew

Post by drew »

By the way: is “Lower Alabama” a thing? Some drunk guys I ran into here in Napa were telling me they were from Lower Alabama. I couldn’t tell if they were just trying to jazz up being from Alabama or what.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

Us guys that live in lower Alabama just call it LA. :mrgreen:
cbass

Post by cbass »

sluckey wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:11 am Us guys that live in lower Alabama just call it LA. :mrgreen:
That's good to know I want to try to fit in. I'm already practicing never using my turn signal
cbass

Post by cbass »

Is Stockton far enough inland to not have to evacuate during a hurricane?
I think I can get my mother to mortgage that place untill I can sale my properties
I'm shocked that bank's don't want to loan an unemployed construction worker with a 9th grade education a bunch of money. They'd be more than happy to mortgage my place.
cbass

Post by cbass »

Gonna make an offer today. On the Stockton house.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

cbass wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:11 pm Is Stockton far enough inland to not have to evacuate during a hurricane?
Yes.
cbass

Post by cbass »

sluckey wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:50 pm
cbass wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:11 pm Is Stockton far enough inland to not have to evacuate during a hurricane?
Yes.
Thanks I didn't make an offer yet. We aren't crazy about the house it's ok. But the lot looks amazing. I think ww would really like the Stockton area.
I've talked to a couple of realtors down there. One guy spoke my language when I told him I'm in construction. He has a few places to show me. We'll see. most realtors think theyre pretty slick
cbass

Post by cbass »

Since we're all like sand through an hour glass and shit here's the video of chomo getting taken down

https://www.facebook.com/endxpl/videos/ ... 8/?app=fbl
cbass

Post by cbass »

Feeling apprehensive. Its beautiful here. I'm surrounded by national forest and cattle pasture and the most amazing sunrises and sunsets. The leaves are turning the weather is fantastic this time of year. I'm never gonna find this anywhere else.
Our parents and grandchildren are here but we want to do what's best for us. We both have siblings to look after the parents.Is that being selfish?

We could afford A lot nicer place if I sell here first. Then we would have to the find a house in 30days and hope the deal doesn't fall through back home.
cbass

Post by cbass »

I can't take good pics. It's a lot prettier in person
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.