Thinking about moving south

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Shrimp boat captain or window shutters?

Shrimp boat captain
53%
Window shutters
35%
Stay home and try to out ass hole the Yankees
12%

Total votes: 17

cbass

Thinking about moving south

Post by cbass »

Been on the gulf coast the last couple weeks. Thinking about selling the farm and getting a shrimp boat. Or just open up a window shutter business. I figure I'd be pretty good at either one. I love living in the Ozarks but its being overrun I can't watch where 200 years of my family existed go down the tubes any longer. So I figure I'll move away and make somewhere else worse
dorrisant

Re: Thinking about moving south

Post by dorrisant »

Good luck... not too you, c-bass... to those that you will come in contact with. I hope they can handle it.

Just kidding. :lol:
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
cbass

Post by cbass »

Lol I'm actually very polite and soft speaking in real life. I can be extremely stubborn and certain things get me worked up but I don't hold grudges. I try to forgive other people because I probably could use a lot of forgiveness myself.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Just choose a place where there's no floods. Or tornadoes/hurricanes. Or heat, hard freezes, pollen, taxes, radicals, toxins, poor quality weed, or ... I forgot what I was talking about.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

That's what happens with low quality weed. (I've heard, from a friend) 😉
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
cbass

Post by cbass »

xtian wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:43 pm Just choose a place where there's no floods. Or tornadoes/hurricanes. Or heat, hard freezes, pollen, taxes, radicals, toxins, poor quality weed, or ... I forgot what I was talking about.
Well I can handle the heat.its not uncommon for it be hotter in Southern Missouri than on the gulf but unfortunately it can get well below zero in the winter back home and it's literally the worst place on earth for allergies.
At least hurricanes usually come with some warning ive seen and been in several tornadoes. One hit our house when I was a kid and pretty much demolished the block some houses were completely gone. nothing but the foundation left.
I ain't goin nowhere without some good bud or hash. The area I'm from was pretty well known for its skunk bud back in the 80s and 90s. I've only seen a few strains of this legal weed that even comes close to the old skunk. It was ridiculously stinky people that didnt know would actually be looking for a skunk. I sure wish I could get ahold of some more. I lost my seeds in a fire.
I'm totally non political at this point. I dont think crime is a huge issue down here. I'm sure it happens but nothing like in the cities up north. For example i had to be in St Louis for a week. Even though im staying in a multimillion dollar home I witnessed a murder right across the street probably 20yds away. the neighbors i talked with said it was the fourth shooting in the last 6 months. That place is hell right here on earth to me.
Theres a very rural feel even though its know where near as rural as back home. As long as I'm in a state where im allowed to defend myself and family. I'll feel safe.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

I know it sounds like a joke, but I try to remind folks, be careful what you wish for because you might get it. I understand the motivation. Do your best to choose carefully. At our age, I'm concerned another chance might not come along!
cbass

Post by cbass »

Phil_S wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:44 pm I know it sounds like a joke, but I try to remind folks, be careful what you wish for because you might get it. I understand the motivation. Do your best to choose carefully. At our age, I'm concerned another chance might not come along!
But the grass is always greener, right? I just see so much opportunity here. I could easily make a fortune doing stuff that would be a breeze to me. I'm sure I could make a very good wage just working for someone else. I can do pretty much any trade at a high level involving construction. Im still able to out work young bucks(most of the time) My wife is an experienced RN that can find good paying work pretty much anywhere. I'd sure miss the hills; crystal clear rivers and ice cold springs on a hot summer day though
cbass

Post by cbass »

Sorry that sounded like a self promotion commercial. I'm just really falling In love with the idea of never being cold again
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

It's a wake-up call when you realize the weather is trying to kill you. But in Ga. It's the heat and humidity.
You can dress for cold, but you can only get to skin to fight heat. And suprisingly many establishments are not on board with that heat reduction strategy.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
cbass

Post by cbass »

TUBEDUDE wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:02 pm It's a wake-up call when you realize the weather is trying to kill you. But in Ga. It's the heat and humidity.
You can dress for cold, but you can only get to skin to fight heat. And suprisingly many establishments are not on board with that heat reduction strategy.
Have you been In Southern Missouri/northern Arkansas in July/ August? It's insane 100 fegree actual temps with a dew points int he high 70s. The super hot western air mixes with the super hot humid tropical gulf air here.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

TUBEDUDE wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:02 pm It's a wake-up call when you realize the weather is trying to kill you. But in Ga. It's the heat and humidity.
100% from experience... I'd take 110° F in GA over 95°F in southern Indiana. Humidity is much higher and stifling. I was in Los Alamos (high desert) last July and couldn't believe how nice it was. Went back to Evansville and felt like I walked into a wet quilt when I walked to the car from inside the airport. If you don't know about the humidity in the Midwest, prepare to have your mind blown. 🤯 I have lived years in both places.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

Not to butt in on your conversation, butt....

I lived in Bloomington, IN as a kid in the late 70s- early 80s. Summer days feel like walking through the deep end of a swimming pool. Large crawdads in the crick, possums in the trees, vipers and families of rabbits in the grass, fireflies at night. The smell of smoked bacon lingering all the way from Ray Hardesty's pig farm. Tornado winds that spark fallout sirens from the 50s and make everyone in the house head to the basement with the flashlight. Those f^cking cockroaches. And black clouds that never end, that let loose even blacker rain. Or if it's 1978, blizzards that lay snow against your front door taller than you can stand up. School gets cancelled now and then. Carnivals at the University campus with ticket games and trailer space rides, deep fried Dragon Ears and cheap ass beer. And kites, homemade that are only good for one or two trips and then you're lucky if the string doesn't break and send your latest creation to the Land of Oz.

And somewhere, someone had some f^cking great-sounding amps. That probably were rusted out or getting close. I just wasn't old enough to notice.
Just plug it in, man.
passfan

Post by passfan »

It hit 114 heat index in Bradenton in July this summer. Ugh!!! :shock:
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump
statorvane

Post by statorvane »

Gulf Coast you say? Mobile, Alabama. Hands down the friendliest place on earth. I spent part of a summer and fall there working on a flight simulator for the USCG. Locals were super nice. Weather (early 90s) was much more tolerable in the summer than say Orlando or W.Palm Beach, Florida where I first started working after school. Not near as friendly.

Good luck whatever you decide guy.