Figured some of yall might enjoy this

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

cbass

Figured some of yall might enjoy this

Post by cbass »

Im not a huge fan (skynyrd is more my style) but i appreciate the musicianship.
WhopperPlate

Re: Figured some of yall might enjoy this

Post by WhopperPlate »

Every YouTube click bait video headline: “Best Ever ?! “
Charlie
cbass

Post by cbass »

WhopperPlate wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:24 pm Every YouTube click bait video headline: “Best Ever ?! “
I just enjoyed seeing how the solos were played. I never really paid much attention to SD
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Those early Dan albums were great. And then there’s this: https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/how-steely ... xpert/?amp
cbass

Post by cbass »

martin manning wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:18 pm Those early Dan albums were great. And then there’s this: https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/how-steely ... xpert/?amp
Very interesting. I knew he was involved in the aerospace industry.
TBH ive never really listened to any SD albums other than what's on the radio. I'll have to check it out
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

I'd recommend "The Royal Scam" for starters,
and Becker's solo album "11 tracks of Whack."
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
angelodp

Post by angelodp »

Cbass, love SD. More of my checkered past..... I went to junior high with Walter, he was a child prodigy. He came to school one week and could play all of the Beatle songs we were all listening to. Cut to my college days and a buddy of mine was throwing a dance party and Walter showed up with the soon to be released album with Ricky on it. It was a glorious night of dancing and rejoicing at Walter's amazing talent and the soon be historic album.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

I've seen SD a number of times, wasn't the same after Becker passed, of course, and Fagan's voice had faded by then. https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 56#p387256 Fagan's book Eminent Hipsters is a fun read if you are curious about his outlook.
cbass

Post by cbass »

angelodp wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:03 pm Cbass, love SD. More of my checkered past..... I went to junior high with Walter, he was a child prodigy. He came to school one week and could play all of the Beatle songs we were all listening to. Cut to my college days and a buddy of mine was throwing a dance party and Walter showed up with the soon to be released album with Ricky on it. It was a glorious night of dancing and rejoicing at Walter's amazing talent and the soon be historic album.
Wow that's really cool. I'm really lucky that you guys let me hang out here. I'd never meet people like yall in real life.
In fact my real life friends kinda suck. 😆
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

TUBEDUDE wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:40 pm I'd recommend "The Royal Scam" for starters,
and Becker's solo album "11 tracks of Whack."
The Royal Scam title track is an absolute gem, awesome production. The band track seems as if it could have been used in soundtrack for a dark spy suspense thriller film hit. Dire piano part along with an unusual Hammond organ accompaniment creates a restless atmosphere of unease. The brass section, besides the rest of the band, just incredible especially in the passage which ends in deep bass trombone notes. And that guitar solo, holey crow... One for your BIG speakers.

Will have to check out 11 Tracks of Whack.
down technical blind alleys . . .
angelodp

Post by angelodp »

1972 at Max's, was invited to the show. Later backstage they asked what I thought. Like an idiot I complained that it was all too loud and could they dial it back. Skunk gave me a look like he could "kill me". But it was exciting and great.... just very very loud.