Platinum and Horse Shit (A Brief Story of Emergence)

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Reeltarded

Platinum and Horse Shit (A Brief Story of Emergence)

Post by Reeltarded »

A friend asked me to write a five minute speech on emergence that he will use at a physics conference for a public expo day. Mostly uni explainers and complainers.

Ok. So I hang up and start talking to myself about it. Sixty-seconds and I have the whole 5 minutes.. check this..

"blah blah tiny matters and dust sized particles have no gravitational action alone.. blah blah.."

"However, let's draw a sphere. It's an arbitrarliy large sphere.. let's say bigger than our solar system. Ok, now everything contained in the volume of that sphere has an emergent property; GRAVITY. Every bit of matter in that sphere, in toto, has pull. It is an emergent property of gathered masses. Everything. It doesn't matter if it's platinum, or horse shit. Ten trillion tons of horse shit has the same emergent gravitational energy (at a distance) as ten trillion tons of platinum at that similar distance."

It goes on for another 4 minutes and curses a couple more times. I hope that makes you laugh as it did the hateful demon that writes this shit in my head.

I got my other friend through covid zoom lectures to his classes of aspiring paleontologist on why comets are bad for the economy.

IMG_8105.jpeg

My ethos is contempt. You know this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
cbass

Re: Platinum and Horse Shit (A Brief Story of Emergence)

Post by cbass »

Congratulations. I know you been studying on that stuff a while.
I feel conflicted about comets. One will probably end humanity but then again they're possibly the reason why life exists.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

AS SAID ON TV!

Just a point.. what is the mechanism that holds comets until a special time when everything is just right? This is where I raise my left hand and invoke another sphere where horse shit and cable television not only exist together, but are the same thing.

I'm such an asshole
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
cbass

Post by cbass »

I'm not sure if that was a rhetorical question but I'm gonna guess the mechanism that controls comets is the curvature of space? I have no clue what I'm saying
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Thing about stuff is that is comes all together and at once. There is no staged process. There also is no call for late heavy bombardment.. that shit is just the last shit. Anything that evaporated from the Hell of a molten World is in the similar orbit and gets reclaimed to some extent.

Not poking at you. Poking at television. They still produce shows that promote 100 year old known hoaxes and people shouting into the dark for haints while claiming the Fluke 77B detects a cold spot where voices broke the second law.

Let's not be silly. The World is doomed because bullshit masquerades as intelligence and that bullshit is much more exciting.. because, hey, if you are making it up.. then I guess ANYTHING is possible.

But, we are all stars now..

I am such an asshole.
cbass

Post by cbass »

I haven't studied space or comets or any physics really i dont even know what we're talking about.Did thy decide the theory of realitivity isn't realitive anymore?
I always liked the big bang theory. Sounds like creation to me. I think they moved on to something else now.
I like geology.So im more interested In the part where comets/meteors collide with Earth and the elements that are created and strown about.

I quit watching TV uears ago. untill i figured out how to work the Roku. Noone told me They got all the old territory wrestling from the 80s on the peacock.so I been busy watching Crusher Broomfield beat everyone up.

We are living in idiocracy. It's like people are proud of how stupid they are.
cbass

Post by cbass »

I looked up emergence theory. Not sure I understand. Basically everything is following a complex pattern and not just crap bouncing around in space?

Don't feel obliged to try to explain it. I'll research it some more. I'm still trying to get my mind around the processes and cycles on earth.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

haha you said complexity, and what isn't?

Emergence is as yet unrecognized as a first principle but it should be. This is directly from wikipedia:

The philosopher G. H. Lewes coined the term "emergent" in 1875, distinguishing it from the merely "resultant":

Every resultant is either a sum or a difference of the co-operant forces; their sum, when their directions are the same – their difference, when their directions are contrary. Further, every resultant is clearly traceable in its components, because these are homogeneous and commensurable. It is otherwise with emergents, when, instead of adding measurable motion to measurable motion, or things of one kind to other individuals of their kind, there is a co-operation of things of unlike kinds. The emergent is unlike its components insofar as these are incommensurable, and it cannot be reduced to their sum or their difference.

That last line is the story. You might have heard the (I hate explainers) Carl Sagan's Cosmos quote, "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the universe".

War is emergent.
In this case, apple pie is emergent. Life is emergent. Culture is emergent. Civilizations are emergent. Society is emergent. You can't do apple pie without everything that came before. Loud laughter in a field at a keg party is an emergent property of making friends who like to drink beer and hangout around a fire..

Same goes for particles. It's a thing that happens when a bunch of lesser things are summed, but never before that.. sort of. Language. Slang is emergent from people who don't know the proper common term so they make up something and becomes a tribal language of that group of people, for instance. Stars are emergent properties of certain gasses collecting to a mass large enough to collapse under the gravity of the collection and ignite...
cbass

Post by cbass »

That all sounds incredibly interesting and incredibly complex. Definitely beyond my brain powers.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

It is as boring as everything else.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

cbass wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:44 pm I'm not sure if that was a rhetorical question but I'm gonna guess the mechanism that controls comets is the curvature of space? I have no clue what I'm saying
Just large elliptical orbits out of the oort cloud and farther.
Comets are cool..at a distance
The dinosaurs weren't big fans.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
cbass

Post by cbass »

wasn't it an asteroid and not a comet that caused the chicxulub impact?
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

It is hard to know the difference, or if there is a difference. Asteroids are icy balls of dirt and comets are dirty balls of ice.
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

This thread is priceless. Emergent fluids shall not be rendered nor described.

This is not quite a mind f4ck, but since cable TV and horse shit ARE the same thing in present time, where did you come from? Or when?
Just plug it in, man.
cbass

Post by cbass »

Reeltarded wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:09 pm It is hard to know the difference, or if there is a difference. Asteroids are icy balls of dirt and comets are dirty balls of ice.
I get that it's hard to know what caused the impact. just thought that asteroid was the general consensus. From what I understand asteroids can be made of various things some have a lot of iron some are mostly ice/rock