There are 35 Dumble type pedals out there...

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

rooster

There are 35 Dumble type pedals out there...

Post by rooster »

And a new one every week I would suppose. I mean, who wouldn't want to buy an EFX pedal that emulates a $100K+ amp? This said, here's something new from Japan:

https://www.freethetone.com/en/products/detail73/

The second video (the bare footed unknown) is apparently playing into either a real Dumble or a Dumble clone, I dunno). But he seems to start on the ODL-1 CS (his words) but I have no idea what he is plugged into or later at 4:20 when he hits the delay and then the pedal again, I'm not sure what has changed. But the barefooted man, good tone and fluid chops aside, is certainly then not as transparent with when and what pedal he is using as is the Free the Tone original video with the Japanese player doing the playing. IMO, this pedal is something different than the other 35 pedals.

$400 for the CS pedal, $339 for the Standard.
Last edited by rooster on Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?
WhopperPlate

Re: There are 35 Dumble type pedals out there...

Post by WhopperPlate »

I don’t know how the other 35 pedals route the signal , but they say this one puts the drive portion of the circuit on the front end of the pedal… fwiw opposite of traditional dumble …
Charlie
rooster

Post by rooster »

I caught that in the description, too, but maybe this is why (IMO) his pedal seems to be delivering the Dumble sound better than some (all?) of the other Dumble-type pedals. After listening to the videos, it doesn't stretch my imagination to consider that the Dumble circuit topology may work better in an amplifier circuit than it does in a pedal. In the end he's building a pedal that's being plugged into an amp and not building an amplifier, right? I also have to wonder how many Dumble-type pedals were/are built by techs who own 2 Dumbles?
rooster

Post by rooster »

I bought this CS pedal and I'm loving it. Amazing pedal.
beasleybodyshop

Post by beasleybodyshop »

Sounds good. Amazed how close you can get with a good blackface amp and an EQ pedal into a Zendrive as well.
"It's like what Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh..."
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

rooster wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:44 pm And a new one every week I would suppose. I mean, who wouldn't want to buy an EFX pedal that emulates a $100K+ amp? This said, here's something new from Japan:

https://www.freethetone.com/en/products/detail73/

The second video (the bare footed unknown) is apparently playing into either a real Dumble or a Dumble clone, I dunno). But he seems to start on the ODL-1 CS (his words) but I have no idea what he is plugged into or later at 4:20 when he hits the delay and then the pedal again, I'm not sure what has changed. But the barefooted man, good tone and fluid chops aside, is certainly then not as transparent with when and what pedal he is using as is the Free the Tone original video with the Japanese player doing the playing. IMO, this pedal is something different than the other 35 pedals.

$400 for the CS pedal, $339 for the Standard.
I believe the second video is Scott Lerner into a Welagen ODS :D
Ian
rooster

Post by rooster »

Thats nice to hear that the barefooted player might be using a Welagen clone. :D

I've only been using my AA circuit board PR clone with the pedal at this point but even here it doesn't disappoint. My garage must be 24 degrees right now but I'll get out there soon to try some bigger amps with MVs. If you run into one of these pedals, you will be amazed at the adjustments that can be made with the circuit. It's extremely quiet (circuit noise free), too, if I haven't mentioned this, at all settings.
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

I will simply trust that this is an excellent pedal.

Having said that, both videos on the website have the pedal going into a Dumble style amp while claiming the pedal sounds like a Dumble amp. :? In addition to that, the 2nd video looks like a loaded up pedal board going into a Dumble style amp.

My conclusion is I have NO idea what that pedal actually does or sound like? I would've loved to have heard that pedal run thru a very clean Fender amp to get a sense of what it is?

I'm not saying the pedal doesn't do what it claims. Simply saying that the demos I'm seeing and hearing are not a good reference point for me to know what the pedal is like.

Respectfully, 10thtx
rooster

Post by rooster »

10thTX, I understand. I have a friend who is just like you. He coerced/chided me into making two recordings for him late one night using my iPhone 8. The reverb you hear is the amp's reverb, no processing of any kind beyond this. I'll post them along with pics of the PR's settings, it's speaker (!2" not 10"), and the pedal's settings. Ignore the dialog, I did this for a friend, nothing professional here. This was using my recent Gibson 335 (2021) with swapped pickups and EVO fret wire.

Oh, the focus on the neck pickup is because he needed to know if the pedal could clean up while on the neck pickup. On this note, the 335 volume controls don't have treble bleeds on them, something he thought might be the case with the demos he saw. Yes, he's very suspicious of unknown demo guitars and amps and perhaps rightly so as he has made a few bad pedal purchases over the years and he knows my gear. I get it. Oh, a shout out to Andreas at AA Electronics, this PR is built with his PR circuit board.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rooster on Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

Hey, thanks for posting that! It sounds mighty good to me. Superb tone, IMO.

With respect, 10thtx
rooster

Post by rooster »

Ha, you're too kind, 10thTX. Thank you.