Wish me luck

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ViperDoc

Re: Wish me luck

Post by ViperDoc »

cbass wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:10 pm So I literally just got an email from the first job I interviewed for. They said they are still very interested in potentially hiring me but are taking more time than usual to make a decision due to restructuring.
Not sure what that last part means?
Sounds very non-committal. If by restructuring they mean bankruptcy, that could be everything from a waste of time to a unique opportunity, but how much uncertainty do you need? A phone call can't hurt anything. If they're honest, they'll have no problem answering a few questions.
Just plug it in, man.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

I think they got a nibble but ain't gonna set the hook until they get a big strike. :mrgreen:
cbass

Post by cbass »

ViperDoc wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:07 am
cbass wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:10 pm So I literally just got an email from the first job I interviewed for. They said they are still very interested in potentially hiring me but are taking more time than usual to make a decision due to restructuring.
Not sure what that last part means?
Sounds very non-committal. If by restructuring they mean bankruptcy, that could be everything from a waste of time to a unique opportunity, but how much uncertainty do you need? A phone call can't hurt anything. If they're honest, they'll have no problem answering a few questions.
I called them Monday. Then got this email. I don't think they're going bankrupt. It's a family business that's been around since 1942 in a small town. Doesn't mean they can't go bankrupt buy I'm pretty sure they're legit. I looked up court records and didn't see any red flags there. Usually huckster construction places will have a long list of law suits.
I wouldn't worry about it except it pays a lot better than other jobs I'm looking at. Like 50% better enough my wife would not have to work anymore.
I think if I had computer skills I'd already be hired all I could say is I'm a fast learner. When I'm not too drunk
I saw they had several other positions they were hiring. So maybe theyre expanding and reviewing a lot of different things.
Or maybe they don't currently have a job at the right stage for me to start.
Last edited by cbass on Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cbass

Post by cbass »

Well I got a job. Not the construction supervisor job. They never let me know anything back. I gota weird vibe from that place. If they can't let me know after interviewing twice and sending an email that said they were still very interested in hiring me. I don't think.its the kind of company I want to work for.
A semi custom cabinet shop. It's a pretty big outfit they have 2 shops one that does frame less cabinets and one that does face frame cabinets. They have some huge machines im looking forward to learning about. (The flat line sprayer was very cool) they haven't giving me a title yet but it sounds like I'll be going into a supervisor position of some sort.
Last edited by cbass on Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GAStan

Post by GAStan »

Congrats!!!!!!
Glenn
didit

Post by didit »

Cool to see uptake suggestion on sharing success wisely ..
Last edited by didit on Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

Congrats! Yes, I agree with Didit, anonymity doesn't exist anymore...
cbass

Post by cbass »

didit wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:47 pm Might I suggest that preceding post recounting and sharing success be edited a bit to be phrased somewhat more wisely ..
You sayin I ain't wise :x
Just kidding yea your right. I don't even know why I'm telling you guys. Probably because every time I talk to friends or family they want something from me so I just avoid em anymore.
cbass

Post by cbass »

So uh any advice on negotiating a wage. I'm planning on asking more than advertised but I have no Idea what the pay range is. I get the feeling theyre pretty stoked about my qualifications and definitely starting me in some sort of position.

And thanks for the congrats. I really appreciate it
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

Ask for what you would be happy making. You can't ask any higher, so go for it.

Congrats, dude.
Just plug it in, man.
cbass

Post by cbass »

ViperDoc wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:09 pm Ask for what you would be happy making. You can't ask any higher, so go for it.

Congrats, dude.
Thanks man.
Should I bring up what I'd be able to make as a finish carpenter?
In case they don't accept my first offer?
statorvane

Post by statorvane »

Probably because every time I talk to friends or family they want something from me so I just avoid em anymore.
Ha! Ain't it true. I never talk with the family (wife's anyway) since the ONLY time they call me is when they want something. :roll: Leeches.
cbass

Post by cbass »

So im back to making what i made in 2005 the last time inworked for someone else. I guess the benefits add up to several dollars an hour.
They mentioned something about having game nights and bringing the family. I literally almost said. Yeah I'm not doing that. I caught myself and was just silent.
Trying to remain positive but I get the feeling there's not gonna be any good paying positions to work towards.
At least they have good benefits I guess.
Last edited by cbass on Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cbass

Post by cbass »

I've literally spent most of my day filling out stupid forms and questioners. all unpaid.

What's my favorite candy?
What's my favorite restaurant?
What do I like to do on my days off?
Wtf? I really have to waste my time on this?
Trying to stay positive here.
I guess I should just be humble and thankful to have a job. If nothing else it'll be a learning experience for me.
cbass

Post by cbass »

statorvane wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:51 am
Probably because every time I talk to friends or family they want something from me so I just avoid em anymore.
Ha! Ain't it true. I never talk with the family (wife's anyway) since the ONLY time they call me is when they want something. :roll: Leeches.
I really don't mind helping out when I have it but I don't have anything left to give. That don't slow them down. Though. We've quit providing supper for everyone by answering the what are you having for supper question with. "Frozen pizza or something".
If it sounds like something they'd like and can horn in on the leftovers they invite their selves for supper.