Wish me luck

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Leo_Gnardo

Re: Wish me luck

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

cbass wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:55 pmSo im back to making what i made in 2005 the last time i worked for someone else.
Geeze I'd be in high cotton if I was making what I made in 2005.
down technical blind alleys . . .
cbass

Post by cbass »

Leo_Gnardo wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:59 pm
cbass wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:55 pmSo im back to making what i made in 2005 the last time i worked for someone else.
Geeze I'd be in high cotton if I was making what I made in 2005.
Lol if you adjusted for inflation sure. I was in my mid 20s then. Was able to afford a nice home and raise kids.
We'd be back in rhe trailer park if I had to start out on what I'm gonna be making now.
But hey WTF you know? Thats just life. guess the ribs on me. I never even saw it comin
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

cbass wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:46 pm I've literally spent most of my day filling out stupid forms and questioners. all unpaid.

What's my favorite candy?
What's my favorite restaurant?
What do I like to do on my days off?
Wtf? I really have to waste my time on this?
Trying to stay positive here.
I guess I should just be humble and thankful to have a job. If nothing else it'll be a learning experience for me.
If after you parse out the fluff and don't feel the return is worth it, you can always quit.
Just plug it in, man.
cbass

Post by cbass »

ViperDoc wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:50 am
cbass wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:46 pm I've literally spent most of my day filling out stupid forms and questioners. all unpaid.

What's my favorite candy?
What's my favorite restaurant?
What do I like to do on my days off?
Wtf? I really have to waste my time on this?
Trying to stay positive here.
I guess I should just be humble and thankful to have a job. If nothing else it'll be a learning experience for me.
If after you parse out the fluff and don't feel the return is worth it, you can always quit.
I like the way you think, Buddy but I ain't no quitter.
I done tried to quit drinking several times and it just never took.
cbass

Post by cbass »

It wasn't horrible. I assembled some cabinets. I had a 19 year old kid that looked like he had half his face blowed off with a shotgun training me. He was pretty cool can't remember his name I just call him hoss.
Oh they do stuff in metric so now I have to figure out on the fly what 1356.2mm is to the nearest 1/32 of an Inch in my head. So I can cut some nailers and stuff.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

cbass wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:04 am ...they do stuff in metric so now I have to figure out on the fly what 1356.2mm is to the nearest 1/32 of an Inch in my head...
It's like learning a foreign language through immersion. In about 3 months you start to dream in the other language. Give it a few weeks, you'll be dreaming in metric, LOL, in the dream you'll be driving and the speed limit is 60. You won't know if you're going too fast or too slow. Make a crib sheet that multiplies and divides by 2.54 and 25.4. You'll get good at your 25.4 times tables.
cbass

Post by cbass »

I'm familiar with metrics and its benefits but 1827.4 is way harder to.measure than 68 5/8 or whatever it comes out to. It help if could fuxkin see its dark as shit i can barely see my tape.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

I like working in Metric. Precision in sub- meter lengths is better/faster. We should have gone metric in '72, when Nixon said we were converting. Of course industry wasn't interested in the changes expense. Hence the 355 mL beverage cans. Still 12 ounces but now we're metric!
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
cbass

Post by cbass »

Not sure how much longer I can do this. Just was told we have to work late tonight. I have no problem working late just not without any notice. Very disrespectful. Guess I'm spoiled I'm used to special treatment because of my talents.
cbass

Post by cbass »

Guess I'll have agree to disagree about the metrics. There's. Lot of advantages to it. Having mm on a tape measure is not one of them
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Oh, I agree with ya there. Measuring larger distances, especially without my bench glasses, would be headache inducing.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

On Airbus drawings the dimensions are all in mm. Seems silly for things that are tens of meters big, but that way there is never any factor of 10 floating around to cause embarrassing problems.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Seems like mathematicians abandoning exponents. At least there not using Ångstroms.
cbass

Post by cbass »

The thing is they use standard measurements for a lot of things. I just brought my tape with me. The funny thing is I realized the nailers i was cutting were the same sizes for the cabinets i used to build. So I have those memorized now.

Oh I got ratted out by the kid training me. I was kinda pissed about having to work late with no notice because I had to drop my truck off at the shop.
Next thing I know the plant manager is telling me how they decide when we have to work late and all this bullshit.. the only reason we are behind at all is because the cnc programmer sucks and im getting all kinds of wrong parts that I have cut down on a table saw that's not setup worth a damn and no outfeed table.
cbass

Post by cbass »

martin manning wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:38 pm On Airbus drawings the dimensions are all in mm. Seems silly for things that are tens of meters big, but that way there is never any factor of 10 floating around to cause embarrassing problems.
When numbers get too big carpenters switch to feet and inches because we can only count so high.