F*cking clients

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

xtian

Re: F*cking clients

Post by xtian »

A happy conclusion!

Client:
Sending the $40 now, tubes will be on your doorstep in half an hour
And, done.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Scumback Speakers

Post by Scumback Speakers »

Sad case of clients having expectations you can't control without a written agreement. I'd get the amp back, see what the "new issue" is, and decide what to charge him from there. You're not running a charity, and he thinks you are.
Scumback - Guitar Speakers That Kick Ass!
http://youtu.be/u6U30BV2kFM
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
www.scumbackspeakers.com
https://www.facebook.com/scumbackspeakers/
https://www.instagram.com/scumback_speakers/
bepone

Post by bepone »

very simple, price for everything must be settled before any action, and there will be no problem, additional + for unpredicted works, announced before.
drew

Post by drew »

xtian wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:15 pm A happy conclusion!

Client:
Sending the $40 now, tubes will be on your doorstep in half an hour
And, done.
Good deal. My initial response to the top post was that the guy was just a chiseler and you’d let him get over on you, and you should wash your hands of him. But you took a more restrained approach, gave the guy a chance to resolve the dispute honorably, and it worked out. There’s at least a chance now that you get future work or recommendations from him.

Looking back on it, could you have done something different to make sure the guy was fully aware of and on board with how much it might cost to fix the amp? I’ve been watching an amp tech’s YouTube channel recently; this guy is always saying he’s going to call the client to get the okay to do stuff, even when it’s two-bit stuff like resistors and caps.
xtian

Post by xtian »

drew wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:07 amcould you have done something different to make sure the guy was fully aware of and on board with how much it might cost to fix the amp?
Yeah, I try to do that. :)
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Yes, xtian, kudos for choosing clean response words. It makes you look as intelligent as you truly are. Also, great suggestions from the lot of you.

I think you have done well with your responses, getting to the point quickly. You must feel some comfort with your messages hitting the target. The only thing is that you seem to have lost a little value from your JJs... That may be the price to pay to rid yourself of a customer you really don't want. Probably worth it.

This is one of the main reasons why I have stopped doing repairs for the general public. And if I had a (plug in arbitrary value) for every time a customer has not shown up for a set appointment... :shock: I'll just say that the only way I could have financially survived, is that the sheer volume of customers included a good percentage of people who kept their appointments.

I have several amps that have been here long enough to liquidate... Two of them are Marshalls with blown OTs... Those are usually the ones that never get the ride home. They were brought here with the thought that it was something very simple only to find that the cost of parts and labor were more than expected. I have always found it hard to break that news to the owners in this type of case.

Funny thing is, the a-holes that try to flame me for their misplaced dissatisfaction are usually on the list of anyone else who might have repaired for them in the past. I live in a community that doesn't have many repair techs/capita. I can send a message or make a phone call and find out quickly that my suspicions are well founded nearly 100% of the time.

I have given the speech to every new customer about how I do not put my money into a customer's device. So they have to pay for all materials and shipping before I buy the parts. If they leave it sitting, I have not put much labor into it other than assessment. Also, they have only the assessment fee to pay to pick it up. Should be easier for them that way, but they still keep leaving them. That's is exactly how I acquired the Echoplex that I have (still needs several parts). I think I can safely call it mine after 7 years... I really can't remember what the interval is in Indiana.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

I also live in a place with very few techs and even fewer competent ones. Not sure if I fully place myself in the competent category, but at least I’m trying… The best clients tend to be ones who have been ripped off by one or more of the less competent/ less scrupulous techs in the area. I’m guessing the guy xtian was dealing with will realize his mistake if he goes elsewhere.
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

maxkracht wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:04 pm I also live in a place with very few techs and even fewer competent ones.
It’s heartening to see these forums occupied by others continuing the craft , but rarity of competent techs is par for the course almost everywhere, except for places that still manage to stay relevant within the music industry.

Funny enough Rick Beato and Tim pierce just posted a video today, basically discussing the death of the middle class musician. The music industry once supported the little guys, and all of the related supporting industries was something that could keep communities financially afloat.

I grew up with my family running Santa Cruz Sound Company , and the local scene was alive and well . It was relatively a dream compared to today . The first big hit was 9/11; everything changed afterward for us. Venues eventually close doors from a lack of patronage, and the snake eats it’s self without a local scene to support local acts, and what’s left over either won’t hire local acts , or
not without a big name act ( count ‘em 1 venue total that can even support that , the famous catalyst nightclub . The local civic center here won’t book rock bands because grandmas and sound curfews take precedence) …the rest basically end up being some sort of pay to play situation … well because the chances a local act that is developed and good enough to pull in a decent crowd go down significantly when there is no local scene …

Sorry , let myself off the reigns , rant over for now …
Charlie
jelle

Post by jelle »

Me:
I should not have let you leave with your amp.
This is where you screwed yourself. Learn, move on. We have all learned this lesson..... :oops:

In terms of going forward, here is what i suggest; tell him to send the amp back in, if the repair you did actually failed, you will fix it. If its a new problem, quote him for this new work. And yes, the old bill is still actual. 'Theft of services' and all that.