Stirs Neural pot

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Reeltarded

Stirs Neural pot

Post by Reeltarded »

Plexis in series without hurting the human: Priceless

If there was only the Diezel, totally worth.. but there is so much more!

One thing I don't like is programming from the unit itself, and that there is no stereo pitch shift for Dual 910s. Another is that all Voxes are too dirty by a teeny with PAFs. The Twin is perfect and terrible until the volume is @7.. it's like a real one.

The delays are good, the compression is good, the feel is so good your fingers believe it. The reverbs need more predelay.

90% of the pedal things are umm.. well, I just don't use that kind of stuff.

The Eqs are great.

I don't care for the gate because it reacts a little strange to medium output pickups. It works ok for any sound before you add a drive and the thing turns to a waterfall in a hurricane if gate is cancelled.. so, realistic.

They need to hire me to tell them what the hell guitar players actually do. heh but otherwise it is full of great crap and amazing shit.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
dorrisant

Re: Stirs Neural pot

Post by dorrisant »

How many stars would you give it, say 0-10?

Plexis in series... I didn't realize that was a possibility.

The ToneX I am playing with is quite impressive and useful. Bought it used but still get the original Max software... can't complain there. Also, it came loaded with a bunch of paid for models - Bonus!! Trying to figure out how to connect my Airstep... then it will be epic. Although it takes nearly a half hour to model an amp, it should be great to A/B demo a parts change. Great idea there, Miles.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Series 4 holers came to me in the 80s when I didn't have a little amp but I had a few days off. Kolbe silent speaker load and Rane eq into second head to Kolbe into power makes a very uppity hotel rig. The sustain and harmonics are nuts. It sounds like Fair Warning. I am pretty sure because that was how that was done.

Neural gets a 3 for ease of first setup without looking at a manual. The problems are the user deciding which are the most useful patches (fun) practicing volume management across banks/scenes/patches, then the technical action of assignments across multiple scenes. If you know all this crap it would be simple enough score at 8. After a few hours it was starting to understand me. lol I am not intuitive and the gear struggles to understand cursing on 2 hours of sleep and no coffee. Coffee really helped! Machine responds much better to caffeinated user.

Amp sounds.. I'm picky but 9:10. The amps feel like the amps. This thing does something spectacular that is even a struggle with tube ampa. The loudest signal on a clean amp before breakup feels bouncy and lively under your fingers. String noise seems minimal without changing technique. The mid gain amps are the best thing I ever played. Those will make you laugh they work so good. Authentic Motown and hot country sounds are the default settings. The Marshall and similar range are not all the best ones I ever heard, but they are better than the 5th best ones I ever heard. The high gain amps are amazing. I wasted half a day muting and listening to the thub. The amps I don't like in real life I still don't like virtually, so that is fair enough. Diezel channel 3 is ridiculous. The 800 is excellent. The SLO is wicked.

The dual rectifier sounds like a boogie so.. The Friedman exists only to attract kids who watch youtube. I didn't care for the Morgan things but that mirrors meatspace. I still haven't spent any time with about half of the amps, and none of the bass amps. Cab sims are a hated thing for me but they seem to do as advertised. Too many to know so early..

WORST thing on the unit is garbage way the stupid mic placement works. I don't think the person who built it knows how a mic is placed. Also it defaults to a '57' and a '121' another point of hatred that was born on the internet by people who own a 57 and a 121. I will kill an mfer. It is so annoying that changing cabs resets it until you have saved new defaults for each cabinet. I will kill an mfer. Dumb interface and constant reset made me hostile. I dont like mixing speakers in meatspace and I don't like but one setup that uses two mics close. I like one speaker type and a close mic, and it isn't usually a 57 or a 121.

As they say on Dumbtube "The packaging was awesome! Kudos to Neural for knowing how to cut a square out of a foam and put in box!!"

Moronic. Nicely packed though. haha

Welp.. this got long. No sleep and stalling to make coffee because there goes another 14 hours. Today is midi mapping scenes on 1010 controller or maybe just shut up and play.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

The problem with society now is firmware. I don't need firmware driven things. It's the solution to a non-existent problem. My car is a rolling living room with an iPad in the dash. The key fob stopped working. Cost me nine hours of paid time off, a trip to the city, 80 miles round trip in gas and time, and waiting at the dealer for four hours for them to tell me nothing was wrong. It was "interference". I wish I could get a '78 Bronco or something simple, no fuel injection, no computers. Kenwood or Alpine stereo and manual transmission. Ok, I'll admit that streaming Pandora to the car is pretty cool. I don't do radio stations anymore. The music is pure crap and the commercials are far worse.

I just need a tube amp that does one thing well. The rest is up to me.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Obvious you would say that. You make millions moderating a tube amp forum.

IMG_6895.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Colossal wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:11 pm The problem with society now is firmware.
Firmware is the best thing to happen to hardware since chrome plating. Who would have thunk the Helix I bought years ago would keep getting better and better?
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Arnold Schwartzenator

-said in that accent-

Dis new ahmp is killah..
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

The Dumbles on this ToneX are pretty darn good. The sustain I wondered about is there in spades... Very realistic. Makes me want to model some of my creations for others to demo.

Learning curve isn't very steep but I haven't do e as deep as Miles, so some remains to be seen.

I find myself smiling while playing. It may not be perfect, but the conveniences and tones are better than anything I've tried out yet (no reference to QC or Kemper).

I don't think so, but wonder if files can be converted from one format to the other.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

xtian wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:58 pm
Colossal wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:11 pm The problem with society now is firmware.
Firmware is the best thing to happen to hardware since chrome plating. Who would have thunk the Helix I bought years ago would keep getting better and better?
I get the whole thing where these devices are great when you have to cover a lot of different bands and need access to a wide pallete of sounds without carting around some monstrosity of a rig. But I hate having to use a computer to edit endless parameters or worse, the tiny on board screen. And the endless fiddling thinking the tone is going to get better if you just tweak more.

I just need Volume, Bass, Middle, Treble, Master, and Presence, and I'm happy. Just Volume and Tone usually works too. Basic pedalboard with a handful of great pedals, and stereo. Yeah, I know, these devices do all that in something the size of a briefcase, but I like my tubes. Guess I'm just getting old but find:

When you're young, you want to change the world
When you're middle-aged, you want to change yourself
And when you're old, you realize nothing needs changing at all
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Colossal wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:31 am
And when you're old, you realize nothing needs changing at all
Except worn out tubes and dead batteries…
Charlie
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Crushed it for hours yesterday. Best clean sound I ever played. Chain is Morgan 50, SSL, stereo chorus, delay line, plate. That takes zero seconds to setup again because it is a patch now and that patch is a basis for every clean sound I will ever setup.

For around 20 years I used MOTU and Nuendo/Cubase to play through a virtual console with about 7ms latency when busses and channels were loaded. The hardware was dying so I went back to submixing analog and rack gear. So, a second rack with a computer. Yikes. The things we do for love.

There may be 25 amps in this that would be worth the $1900 if they were the only thing in the box without any effects or source modifiers, eq, compressors. If the SSL bus compressor was the only thing in this box.. still worth it.

It isn't a tweaking nightmare. It is just very deep and capable of mocking up reality. The patching possibilities are endless, just like sitting at a console with a patch bay. I have never seen anyone actually show what it can do. I might already be the most expert user. No kidding, this thing is a super weapon and anything you have seen about it was 95% incomplete. YouTube and forums are full of novice technical bullshit. It is basically simple as a 4 channel amp rig. If you really know how to run the bits.. super weapon.

It has all this shit but you aren't forced to even know about the depths. I spent almost two hours teaching my friend how to use the SSL with different instruments.

And the Diezel channel 3 will suck the air out of your lungs at 120 decibels. Mixed with a 4 holer it pulls the nails out of your frame. haha

The neighbors seem to like it.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Miles... I totally dig your descriptive prowess.

Teach us how to use SSL... ? :roll:

I wish the ToneX had the effects capability of the QC. The only way I see is to forgo the cab IR, output to FX chain to real amp or other. Using the FX return of an SSS with cathode driver seems to be the way to go. I use stereo out on my modulation chain to drive two amps anyway. Heavenly!

I'm gonna rearrange some of the presets for more exploration. Need more clean amps to demo, Two Rock, SSS and my own stuff.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I put in the cab models but don't use them in the case I play with something other than my playback rig. They sound great though. Return into a pair of SSS amps would move a mountain. Go do that lol

SSL you zero the make up, select ratio, set attack and release in the middle, trigger wide open. You should be getting about -1dBa of peak reduction. Start reducing attack until you find the pick tail and settle just above it. Increase trigger until you get about -3 peak. This is almost where you want it for dirty at most, we are just trying to control attack envelope without killing what dynamics a dirty sound has. Should be about -17-15dB on trigger because you should mind -14-12 (mind vu) signal peak with comp cancelled. bring release down until you hear it shit on the most intense peaks, then back it off a couple ms. Look at peak reduction. It's going to be in a range like -5 or so on hardest attack. set make up with that number leaving .5dB margin. (+4.5ish) Cancel and engage compressor a couple times. Same volume but thicker and tailored. Forward without adding face or changing anything by promoting only the attack peak.

Ver 3 is coming in a couple weeks adds sidechain and some other stuff like plugins. I hope it opens up 3rd party stuff at some point so i can load Waves Abbey Road and get ADT working.

I made a Trower patch that sounds like his late 80s dual RK Twin setup. Left amp is normal, right amp is 100% modulation. I was like WTF is that! the right amp sounds like a headache throbbing with your pulse and the cabs are 2' apart. Univibe wobble like that can throw you on the ground.

I miss only two basic things. Eventide 910 and Reverb Factory Chamber/Hall with 100ms longer predelay. (Neural stops at 200) The Neural micro shift is a little trashy on attack and the reverbs are good but not the best ever. Bricasti it ain't.

Since I got everything worked out I have only one real complaint right now. You MUST use the input gates because the input line amps are noisy AF. I have an ADC need to try that and should do 140 sig:noise.

Next: intensive midi mapping. The manual is great. Have all discreet addresses in a simple list.
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

:D A clip is worth a million words
Charlie
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I will record somethinf if even on a phone after the update and I wipe the settings.