Geetarpicker's Guitar Clinic

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

drhulsey

Geetarpicker's Guitar Clinic

Post by drhulsey »

I had the distinct pleasure of attending Glen's guitar clinic in Nashville today. It was obvious that he had spent a great deal of time putting his rig together to get a great sound from his TW clones without pinning the audience's ears back. He used two attenuators in series as well as a DI box on the speaker output with a capacitor in the line to put the low end into his PA while the high end went to a 1x12. He had his backing tracks on an iPod. Boy, did he make those clones sing :!: He was playing his new heavy relic '57 Strat from the Fender Co. and his Les Paul. He added a little reverb from his only pedal in the rig and had a tremendous tone 8) You could hear all the flavor of his TW's.
Then he was off to the Grand Ole Opry to play with Eddy Raven, and I got to hear that on my drive home :!:
It was great to meet him face to face and listen to him live. What a great guy, as you all know from this forum :D If you haven't bought his CD yet you're missing out on some great tunes played on a REAL Ken Fischer TrainWreck. Get one here:
http://www.guitar9.com/canyouhearitring.html
Last edited by drhulsey on Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim

In case the NSA is listening, KMA!
geetarpicker

Re: Geetarpicker's Guitar Clinic

Post by geetarpicker »

Tim,
Thank you so much for the awesome follow up! I really appreciated having some great folks show up, and especially some that were familar with what I do and wanted to hear it live.

Tim I truly appreciated the help on load out. Heck we had all the gear torn down and I was back on the road in 10 minutes. I made the Opry with 15 minutes to spare!

I was suprised at how well the direct box trick works. A DI guitar signal off a distorted amp speaker output is usually awful, but not if you roll all the highs out of it and use it just for sub lows mixed with the miced 1x12 cab for the mids and highs. I had two attenuators in series to keep them both out of the buzzy reostat settings, though by the end of the day I had the 2nd one bypassed and it was just the THD hotplate @ -8db by then.

I really want to do as many guitar clinics this summer as possible and I'm pondering which city to attend next?

Any ideas folks, even specific stores that cater to the guitar clinic type of thing within a 2-6 hour drive from Nashville?

Glen Kuykendall
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

geetarpicker wrote:... I made the Opry with 15 minutes to spare!
It's not often I get to "roadie" for a pro and pick up some tips, as well 8)
You might check out Lexington and Louisville, KY. Both have some big music stores. We have had some well attended clinics here in BG. I'll check with some friends of mine.
Your ingenuity with equipment is amazing :D
Was that DI a Radial? Would it actually take your unattenuated signal?
What size cap did you use in line with the DI?
Tim

Lonely Raven

Post by Lonely Raven »

Glen,

Give us a heads up if you're going to make out to the Chicagoland area. I'd love to hear you play in person!
Jack of all Trades,
Master of None
geetarpicker

Post by geetarpicker »

I plan to do my performance thing at the Chicago amp show in August, but would like to do a guitar clinic/performance up there sooner. I've sold quite a number of CDs up that way so I should have a starting point to drum up a crowd.

Any specific music stores in Chicago area known for clinics?

Yes the Radial JDI has a 15db pad plus another "speaker level" 30db pad and handles the amp fine giving an output close to regular mic level. I ran a 1uf non-polar cap across the XLR output side of the DI, then set the PA channel EQ on full bass, but flat mid and treble. The EQ on the mixer can almost get the same effect as the cap if you just turn off the treble, but the cap gets rid of all top end buzz. My guitar mic was set flat on all bands. The blend you heard was about 50/50 DI and mic. Works well at the medium volume I was at and easier to move than a 4x12. I also tried simply EQing some lows into the 1x12 and that is just OK, but with the DI you have more range to work with and it's totally flat and peak free down to the lowest notes. The DI/mic mix actually sounds more like my 4x12 than radically EQing the 1x12 mic on it's own. The speaker in the totally sealed 1x12 was a Scumback m75, high power version with 4 layers of felt in front of the cone to mellow it some.

GK
Lonely Raven

Post by Lonely Raven »

geetarpicker wrote:I plan to do my performance thing at the Chicago amp show in August, but would like to do a guitar clinic/performance up there sooner. I've sold quite a number of CDs up that way so I should have a starting point to drum up a crowd.

Unfortunately the ones that I know of for Clinics are all GC (which aren't my favorites).

But I'll ask at Music Gallery and Makin' Music. They are two of the more high end shops that would probably even know what a Trainwreck was and tend to have your kind of pro players shop there.

I'll ask around for ya and PM my findings.
Jack of all Trades,
Master of None
geetarpicker

Post by geetarpicker »

Lonely Raven wrote:
geetarpicker wrote:I plan to do my performance thing at the Chicago amp show in August, but would like to do a guitar clinic/performance up there sooner. I've sold quite a number of CDs up that way so I should have a starting point to drum up a crowd.

Unfortunately the ones that I know of for Clinics are all GC (which aren't my favorites).

But I'll ask at Music Gallery and Makin' Music. They are two of the more high end shops that would probably even know what a Trainwreck was and tend to have your kind of pro players shop there.

I'll ask around for ya and PM my findings.
I really appreciate it! Been also wondering about "Rocknroll Vintage" store in Chicago?

GK
Lonely Raven

Post by Lonely Raven »

Glen,

E-mail me with your contact info, a virtual business card if you have one, and I'll call around for you at all three shops. If you have a press packet or flyer or anything, send that along as well and I'll do some of the footwork for you and make sure someone contacts you.
Jack of all Trades,
Master of None
Dr-Joned

Post by Dr-Joned »

[quote]Tim I truly appreciated the help on load out[/quote]

Tim
Did you manage to get that old "wreck" out to your car instead? :lol:
I Think I Think Too Much !
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

Dr-Joned wrote:... Did you manage to get that old "wreck" out to your car instead?
Actually, he didn't have the REAL Wreck with him. He keeps it safely tucked away. As good a picker as he is, he deserves it more than I do anyway :oops:
He doesn't give up much using his clones. He duplicated more exactly than anyone I know 8) Thin chassis, wood supports , and all :!:
Tim

geetarpicker

Post by geetarpicker »

I'm working on hosting several guitar clinics in nearby states, and I'm also set to perform at the Chicago Ampfest on August 23rd, 2008.

However in the meantime I'm going to do another clinic in Nashville, TN in about two weeks on Saturday June 21, 2008.

Hope some folks here can make it out!

Glen Kuykendall

[img:541:700]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-10/ ... orWEB2.jpg[/img]
Decko

Northern California

Post by Decko »

Any Clinics planned for Nor Cal?
morcey2

Post by morcey2 »

How about Utah? It almost borders Tennessee! :shock: :wink:
mojo

Post by mojo »

It may be too close, but I'd be happy to ask the folks at Mary's Music here in Clarksville about having you come up. They're pretty much THE music store here. We're about 45 minutes north of you. I'd be happy to take you out for a meal if you come up, and you can check out my R9 and Two Rock Ruby.
Let that boy boogie woogie.
blinddog

Post by blinddog »

Glen,

In Chicago I would agree with Eric, Music Gallery, Makin Music (they at least were selling Dumbles, didn't see any Wrecks and the pros shop there ) are both good. Other suggestions would be:

http://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/

http://www.gand.com/

and

a personal favorite of mine where the owner really looks out for the customers and really knows his amps and guitars is Minstrel Music in Niles( about 2 miles north of Chicago). Great guys! I have seen them steer a new player away from a $1,500+ relic tele GC was trying to sell him, to a reasonable $300 MIM tele and they didn't even have a low level tele in the store. John is a really good guy and a really know his stuff. I think he knows Dave Funk and is carrying Gabi's amps.

http://0043a7d.netsolhost.com/mmlnews.html