Epiphone Elitist '57 Goldtop

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Structo

Re: Epiphone Elitist '57 Goldtop

Post by Structo »

I have long wanted a Japanese LP copy.

But in very recent years it seems the prices have skyrocketed.

With ebay and the secret to these great guitars out, it seems they have tacked on an additional decimal point to these guitars.

I would love to find an old 335 copy.

Some of the Korean guitars are nice too.

I have a Schecter C1-Classic that is a great guitar made in Korea.
It's the one with the gaudy vine of life inlay on the fretboard but I couldn't find a flaw on it when I bought it new.

A while back I considered buying a Agile LP copy from Rondo.
They had the 4000 series and the reviews were off the charts.

It seems now the top of the line is the 3500 but Mr. Rondo assured me that they are just as good as the 4000's were.

Now all I need is the cash to buy one............. :?

Never been a big fan of LP's since I have been a Fender boy since I was young.
My first real electric guitar was a 1963 Jaguar that I still have.
It needs a restoration and is in pieces right now.
It has the rosewood veneer neck and the frets are shot and I'm not sure it will take a re-surface and fret job so that has kind of held me back.
I may put on a new neck so I can play it again. :D

Last summer I built a Saga HT-10 which is sort of a PRS copy.

I had bought about 5 years ago and never finished until last summer.
I painted it in Shoreline Gold and clear coated it with two cans of clear.
All nitro.

It is 24" scale and has two cheap humbuckers but it has kind of become my go to guitar. It really plays nice. The tuners are crap but that can be changed out.

[IMG:342:480]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b392/ ... 578bb6.jpg[/img]

[IMG:342:480]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b392/ ... 8852d4.jpg[/img]
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
dartanion

Post by dartanion »

drew wrote:^ I have a '64 that looks just like that, minus the Bigsby and the pickguard, but with Schallers and considerably more belt rash.
Mine is a '62 that is a rare transitional model with the nickel plated black plastic pup covers. You can see the plating coming off on the neck pup. There weren't many of these made as they went to nickel plated metal covers shortly thereafter. It's also a stinger neck, which is kind of rare. I had no idea of any of this info when I bought it. No one cared about 330s at the time. They were the redheaded step-child of the 335 :lol: Oh how times change.
Eardrums!!! We don't need no stinkin' eardrums!
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

There is an elitist gold top on the bay right now. Tempting but I think a guy otta be able to pick up a gibbo gt standard from late 80s early 90s in there somewhere couldn't he?
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
rfgordon

Post by rfgordon »

Man, I've been jonesing for a goldtop since I was 15 and saw Danny Kortchmar tear one up on TV playing for Linda Ronstadt!

Now that I've started selling enough amps to have the cash to spend, well, I'm just not impressed by the new Gibson production--not for the asking price, that is. The exception is that I did like the swamp ash Les Paul I tried the other day. Too bad it's just butt-ugly!

For now I'm keeping my eyes open for a nice, used Gibbo Goldilocks. I gotta get me a trip back out to Vegas to see Matt at Cowtown!
Rich Gordon
www.myspace.com/bigboyamplifiers

"The takers get the honey, the givers get the blues." --Robin Trower
dartanion

Post by dartanion »

I've wanted a 54 GT for a long time. Can't explain to wife rationally that $50K is a good deal...not even $2.5K for an R4. I've played a few Edwards and older Tokais and they are pretty nice. A proper run down from a good luthier can make them a great guitar.
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

dartanion wrote:I've wanted a 54 GT for a long time. Can't explain to wife rationally that $50K is a good deal...not even $2.5K for an R4. I've played a few Edwards and older Tokais and they are pretty nice. A proper run down from a good luthier can make them a great guitar.
Wait a minute. Just put a trapeze on your 74D and yer there right? Why a '54?
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
stevek66

Post by stevek66 »

I have always loved Goldtops..My 2 favorites.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dartanion

Post by dartanion »

54s have the wrap tail piece and the low output P90s that sound friggin' killer.

My 78 Deluxe is a different animal with it's 3 piece maple neck.
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

dartanion wrote:54s have the wrap tail piece and the low output P90s that sound friggin' killer.

My 78 Deluxe is a different animal with it's 3 piece maple neck.
I guess I didn't take a close enough look at your deluxe. If I was gonna spend 50K on a guitar I suppose it would have to be a '52-'53 Tele.

There is an Elitist Gold Top on Austin Craigs List for $800. Clean as a whistle.

OT: I have a neighbor who wants to sell me a 1920's vintage Colt 1911 model .45ACP for $500. He's getting old and clearing out everything he owns to move off the boat and move in with his daughter. He doesn't know what he's got. I think I can flip that sucker for a couple of grand. Anybody know for sure?
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

try your local library or book store and look it up in a gun collectors guide I've found most of the Top prices are a joke but depending on the condition the Very good price is a reasonable request.
You can order a collectors blue book from amazon or try the NRA
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
Structo

Post by Structo »

Yes condition is everything.
But even if it's pitted a bit it would still get a good price over $500.
Tom

selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

it all depends if someone wants what you are selling then the market is as high as they are willing to go. I've seen the same two guitars for sale one was $5k and the other was $7500 and the guy bought the $7500. same exact year condition and color. Never under estimate the stupiedity of the consumer, or impulse buying. It's funny we are wired to want to spend more to feel like we got a better product. another thought is to take the pistol to a local gun show. You might not get tip top dollar but you should be able to make a profit and move the item for cash that day or have a good piece to trade up to something else you want. just thinking out loud.
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

Structo wrote:Yes condition is everything.
But even if it's pitted a bit it would still get a good price over $500.
No pits, wood grips, looks nickle rather than chrome, three clips. I've fired 1K rounds or so .45 and generally have a flinching problem with them. 9mm is just such a different animal. Drive tacks with one. Anyway, all that by way of it would be just to flip. Probably hang on till new ones aren't for sale anymore in a few months. Buy guitars and stuff with the dough. More research is in order without alerting him to the value. Like a serial number. Gotta pin down a year. It has that look you know? Like Reggie Young's '53 tele. Smooth as a young lady's skin. Happiness is a warm gun or something. First one I ever fired was a made by Singer Sewing Machine company. This is a Colt.

Boy are we OT. Anyway, I'll probably go for it. He's giving me a three day headstart on anybody else.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Heheeheh, yeah I have a nice Kimber .45 acp.

It really is a great accurate gun but I seem to flinch as well with it.
It came with all these Chip McCormick parts on it like the beaver tail and target trigger. It was one of the first 45's that Kimber made. It has real pretty checkered rosewood grips too.

I have a Glock 19C that, like you, I can drive tacks with it.

I used to go shooting a lot but the local indoor range shut down a few years ago and I don't really feel like joining a club. Oh well I'm getting old so maybe my interest isn't as great as it once was.

Nickel huh?
That's not real common in those old 1911's, should be worth some good coin.
Tom