Epiphone Elitist '57 Goldtop

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

David Root

Epiphone Elitist '57 Goldtop

Post by David Root »

Anyone have/has played one of these? I am thinking of getting one and replacing the pups with a pair from a dead '65 SG Standard, which I know well.

I have seen one review that said the fretwork was not quite 100%, but no other negatives. I'm mainly interested in playability and good acoustic tone, even tho' the local pro shop guy says I may not want to change the pups on it "they are so good".

Would be interesting to see what 43 years of age has to say about that.
dartanion

Re: Epiphone Elitist '57 Goldtop

Post by dartanion »

Hey David,

They are kind of a crap shoot, heck, even the real Gibsons are a crap shoot these days. I've played a lot of them in my quest for a Les Paul and I'd suggest playing before buying. Find one that sings acoustically then replace the pups if needed.

The late 80s early 90s Epis were quite well made. These can still be had for cheap. Replace the pups and a good setup makes all the difference.
Eardrums!!! We don't need no stinkin' eardrums!
David Root

Post by David Root »

That's what I'm looking for, one that "sings acoustically". It doesn't really have to be the $1,100 Elitist, but it does have to be a Goldtop w/humbuckers.

I haven't looked at older Epis, and wouldn't you know I just let my subscription to Vintage Guitar lapse. Were they made in Japan like the Elitists?

I'll be in Las Vegas later this month, I'll check out Cowtown Guitars.

Just out of curiosity, where are you on your "quest for a Les Paul"?
dartanion

Post by dartanion »

Hey David,

Funny you ask! I bought a 78 Deluxe from Cow Town :lol:

Here's a couple of pics. It looks a bit different now as I put in a different set of P90s with cream covers. Love the looks of it now. I have the original minibuckers that I'm thinking of putting back in. It plays like a dream after having Terry work his magic on the frets and full setup.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eardrums!!! We don't need no stinkin' eardrums!
Tubetwang

Post by Tubetwang »

here's my Lester...

3 parts Mahagony job.

I've installed Spertzel machine heads but...she's otherwise bone stock.

She does a nice Elmore :roll:

Major Twang
Tubetwang

Post by Tubetwang »

befo i forget...all my guitars are strung with D'Addario EPN115 except the steel... :roll:

Major Twang
skeezbo

Post by skeezbo »

I read a review of the flametop version (in GP or VG, probably) that was very favorable. The Elitist models are supposed to be superior to the regular Epiphone stuff, with quality similar to the Japanese Ibanez and Tokai copies of Gibsons from a few decades ago that draw good dough on ebay now. I have never played an Elitist Epiphone, but if I had the money, I might go for the Sheraton. I'd really be a sucker for that goldtop if they made an Elitist version with P-90s. I say go for it!

Skeez
kec

Post by kec »

The Elitists ARE superior to the standard Epi's - they're made in Japan. I've had a few of them and they're everything you'd expect from Japanese quality. With Gibson, it is a crap shoot. But, the Elitists are consistantly excellent.

I currently have 1 Burny, 2 Tokai's, 1 Edwards, 1 Orville/Epiphone and 1 Elitist - all made in Japan (hey, I'm addicted). BTW, the Edwards are probably the best bang-for-buck buy out there IMO - they play real nice!

Here's a pic of my '98 Orville/Epiphone (with the open book headstock)...
1998 was the transition year that Gibson changed from the Orville brand to the Epiphone brand - but still made in the same factory.

[img:600:800]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/ ... ed_3_2.jpg[/img]
Ken

Real guitars are for old people! - Cartman
Ears

Post by Ears »

Tubetwang wrote:here's my Lester...

<snip>
Good library to go with Lester!
Noel Grassy

Post by Noel Grassy »

I lucked out in the early 90's buying a used Epi Sheraton [Korean built].
The natural finish has yellowed nicely and apart from the dagnasty electronics it came with, the quality of binding, inlays, finish & woodwork
easily rivals anything Gibson has been selling under $5K. Even their high dollar stuff seems to escape any QC or final inspection. As a result the Gibson marque has really lost much of it's appeal for me.

Oh yeah, they won't be able to pry my (now faded honeyburst) Tokai Lesteroo from my decrepitating digits even on my deathbed. That axe continues to be something very special everytime she's picked up. The bookmatched tigerstripe top makes it look like an Amati or some Cremona built violin.

I've never seen any of the Elitist [kinda pompous name IMO] series. But if they try as hard as they were in the early 90's to turn out a quality product, it'll be money well spent. Definitely play her a while before you plug her in. There's all the sonic qualities or shortcomings revealed in an intimate 'unplugged' moment.

Best of luck,

ng
All excellent things are as difficult as they are rare__B Spinoza
kec

Post by kec »

Noel Grassy wrote:I've never seen any of the Elitist [kinda pompous name IMO] series.
They were orignally named the Elite series, but some other company complained and Epi changed it to Elitist.
Ken

dBe

Post by dBe »

[quote="kec"]BTW, the Edwards are probably the best bang-for-buck buy out there IMO - they play real nice!

I have an Edwards LT (nitro finish) with a RG Genuine Texas in the bridge and a Fat Tone Vintage in the neck. It is an absolute killer. It is the best playing guitar in my stable of 24-3/4" scale guitars. I'm impressed with the tone from the Fat Tone pup, too.

Dave
strato17

Post by strato17 »

I have heard that some of the older Epi's are better than current production. When I decided to get a Les Paul, I forced myself to save up for a long time to get a VOS. The sound, look, and fretwork is just outstanding. But the pricetag is a bit extreme. I kinda wished I could have played the Epi goldtop to compare before I made my final decision.

Anyways, here is my 2008 R9 VOS that I got straight from Gibson Custom, which arrived this past tuesday. I haven't come across many les pauls that are this loud acoustically. The neck feels great and it sounds killer with my express clone.

[IMG:538:717]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/ ... 17/2-1.jpg[/img]

[IMG:717:538]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/ ... 17/3-1.jpg[/img]

[IMG:717:538]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/ ... 17/4-1.jpg[/img]

[IMG:717:538]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/ ... 17/6-1.jpg[/img]
kec

Post by kec »

Nice flame on that R9 Strato!

Here's my '04 MIJ Burny RLG-90....

[img:1024:768]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/ ... burny2.jpg[/img]
Ken

selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

nice axes! What year is the ES? I've got a late 60's early 70's ES-325 in that walnut brown it's kind cool lots of bark with the mini humbuckers
My Daughter Build Stone Henge