SRV SLO-100

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

stratcat62

SRV SLO-100

Post by stratcat62 »

I just read this on an SRV website talking about his rig. Anyone know if there's any truth to it?

Soldano SLO 100 - Mike Soldano built Stevie a customized SLO-100 after repairing a few of Stevie's amps. Stevie told Mike that he wasn't happy with the fact that he had to crank his amps to such high volume and use pedals in order to get his overdriven tones. Soldano offered to build an amp for Stevie that would allow him to get his tones from the amp without any overdrive or distortion pedals. The amp that Soldano ended up giving Stevie was a customized SLO-100 with a switch that would cut mid frequencies after 700Hz. The amp was delivered to Stevie a few months before his death. Stevie never had enough time to fully incorporate the new amp into his rig. The amp was returned to Soldano since it was never paid for and therefore not part of Vaughan's estate. Mike Soldano currently keeps the amp in his shop.
Omar

Re: SRV SLO-100

Post by Omar »

Yes, it's definately true. The SRV SLO was in Mike's shop when I worked there in 1992. It had a switch on the back that only worked on the clean channel. I have the same mod on my SLO but mine can be activated on both channels. I prefer the SLO with the SRV mod activated.

Omar
Tone by misadventure
stratcat62

Post by stratcat62 »

Wow, that's awesome. What does it sound like? Did it actually replicate his tone?
roberto

Post by roberto »

Go to Sloclone forum. I've posted some pitcures of it and some retroengineering. I've a tweed SRV clone. It's basocally the decatone scooped clean. Sounds like a fender close to 10.
Omar

Post by Omar »

stratcat62 wrote:Wow, that's awesome. What does it sound like? Did it actually replicate his tone?
No, I wouldn't say it replicates his tone. It gives the clean channel a more usable, Fender-ish sound, but it's still pretty different from any Fender I've played. The mod, with its scooped mids, just gives the SLO a different sound.
Tone by misadventure
Structo

Post by Structo »

Cool story!

It's great when we hear stories from guys that were actually there, in the industry and have first hand accounts of these things.
My hat is off to you gents! :D
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!