Thanksgiving Warning

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

skyboltone

Thanksgiving Warning

Post by skyboltone »

I got a call from my brother in law over the weekend and he made a point to tell me that if I was going to deep fry turkey this year to make sure not to fill the pot so it boils over.

The way he put it is, "If that pot boils over, you got a problem", then he went on to say, "In fact, you might under some circumstances say that the whole neighborhood has a problem". I'm not sure what his frame of reference was, he's not a fireman, though he mentioned he'd met some lately.

Anyway, be safe.
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
Cygnus X1

Re: Thanksgiving Warning

Post by Cygnus X1 »

Um, ok.

:D

I liked Alton Brown's episode on Food Network about it...hopefully it will get replayed.
I keep threatening to grill one in Big Old Smokey.
I'll do it, eventually!
gahult

Post by gahult »

Bob and Tom had a gal call in the other morning with a recipe that has you put a half an onion under the skin of the "Breast". When it browns up it forms a nicely colored nipple. Only to be used on hen turkeys and don't use big Viladia onions as the look fake. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gary
In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird , and they take Prozac to make it normal.
billyz

Post by billyz »

Yep, Deep Fried Turkey is pretty tasty. But it can be very dangerous ( that should be enough to make most of you want to do it) . You must know how much Hot oil the turkey will displace before you put it in the pot. The oil will run over and burn everything it touches. And it may also catch on fire. You are supposed to do this outside on the ground. And I believe you should use Peanut oil as it does not burn at the higher temp required to properly Deep fry a Turkey. My son had a fixation with it for a few years . He got a Propane burner setup to do it. Now we are back to roasting them in the oven. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.
Structo

Post by Structo »

My friend has a fryer, he said the trick is to put water in it then the turkey to see how much it displaces. Then add that amount of oil.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Cygnus X1

Post by Cygnus X1 »

Structo wrote:My friend has a fryer, he said the trick is to put water in it then the turkey to see how much it displaces. Then add that amount of oil.
Big problem, though...if there is trapped water (or worse...ice!)...
then the turkey can explode when it gets to temperature in the oil.

Drain the turkey thoroughly.
:D
John_P_WI

Post by John_P_WI »

Also don't set the frier up on a wooden deck or patio, or in your garage or under the porch overhang.

A concrete driveway is best with a little common sense.

Or better yet, just grill up some beef...

John
Structo

Post by Structo »

Yes I have actually worked on two houses that the owners had almost destroyed with turkey fryers.

The first one the guy did it on a second story wooden deck.

He overflowed the oil and burnt have his house down.

The other guy did it in his garage. At least he did it on a concrete floor but when it overflowed it caught everything in the garage on fire including his car that was parked there......

From what I see and hear, the overflowing thing is the biggest hazard.

If using the water displacement method, yes be sure and dry everything off before adding the oil and the bird. :wink:
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Abstract

Post by Abstract »

You can always add oil later.

!!!THAW THE BIRD!!!
Ron Worley

Post by Ron Worley »

Structo wrote:Yes I have actually worked on two houses that the owners had almost destroyed with turkey fryers.

The first one the guy did it on a second story wooden deck.
:oops: I actually did set my deck on fire once making chicken wings in a turkey fryer.... :oops: Drinking beer with a friend and not paying enough attention.....

The wife and her friends have me shit no end... one smart ass actually bought me a fire extinguisher for my birthday.... :?

Needless to say, I don't have that rig anymore... but here in the south, fried turkey is a tradition.... I just let others do it....

Ron
Abstract

Post by Abstract »

Smoke the Turkey?

Deep fried stuff is kinda bad for you.
Stanz

Post by Stanz »

Abstract wrote:Deep fried stuff is kinda bad for you.
Which is why it is usually so good. It is when you eat nothing but fried foods that you get issues.

I am not always sold on the "its bad for you". My grandmother would give my grandfather a bunch of guff because he wouldn't eat vegetables, just meat and potatoes. He lived into his mid 80's, as did my grandmother.

I would do a turkey in the weber with hickory chips soaked in water thrown in the coals and a sweetened soy sauce based glaze. yummmm.
Last edited by Stanz on Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stanz

Post by Stanz »

Abstract wrote:!!!THAW THE BIRD!!!
I am reminded of a story about some jet engine testing done by the British. They were copying a program where they were shooting a turkey from the store into the turbine to simulate birds getting in there (I want that job). It would show them how well they were holding up. Problem was, the engines were getting ripped apart. They had a hard time believing that the engines would always disintegrate like this, so they called up to see what advice they could get. After a bit of a conversation about their procedures, they were told, make sure you thaw the turkey first. I guess they could have just used a bowling ball instead.
Ron Worley

Post by Ron Worley »

Yes, we always did check the "Notice to Airmen", otherwise known as a NOTAM:

>>Area N57.13.4W, W15.35.5... Please be advised that there has been reported a large cell of 25 pound bowling ball hail between Flight Level 230 and 350...please be advised>>>

One didn't want the possible bowling ball incident, wouldn't one?????

Yes, they do use fowl for canopy tests, only they're chickens per FAA certification standards..........

Ron :D
Last edited by Ron Worley on Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cygnus X1

Post by Cygnus X1 »

Stanz wrote:
Abstract wrote:!!!THAW THE BIRD!!!
I am reminded of a story about some jet engine testing done by the British. They were copying a program where they were shooting a turkey from the store into the turbine to simulate birds getting in there (I want that job). It would show them how well they were holding up. Problem was, the engines were getting ripped apart. They had a hard time believing that the engines would always disintegrate like this, so they called up to see what advice they could get. After a bit of a conversation about their procedures, they were told, make sure you thaw the turkey first. I guess they could have just used a bowling ball instead.

:mrgreen:

Ok, there isn't a really good emoticon to express ROTFLMAO!
That's the funniest thing I've seen all day!