Killer Blues Player

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

GitDiv

Killer Blues Player

Post by GitDiv »

Hey guys,

Did anybody happen to catch Maria Muldaur on Directv weekend before last? Not sure of the station.
I just caught the last tune as I was just flipping channels.

She had a guitar player with her that just tore up the Blues. He never ran out of ideas, and never repeated himself.

The most impressive thing that struck me was his SOUND. He used a 335, but I couldn't make out the amp/s he used. I think one was a Twin possibly, but I've never heard a Twin sound like that.

I think his sound and the amp's response/sound played a big part in how well he played.

I know one thing though, Ms Muldaur sure knows a guitar player when she hears one. Amos Garrett is a prime example of that. But he didn't rock like this guy.

For me, he had THE Sound.

If anyone caught that video, I'd appreciate any info about the guy. Name, amps used, etc..

Thanx,

-Dave
GitDiv

Re: Killer Blues Player

Post by GitDiv »

Anybody?

I've googled till I'm blue in the face. :?

This guy was very impressive. I'd just like to hear more and find out the amp(s) he used.

He had the sound I've been looking for for 20 years or more.
Sonny ReVerb

Post by Sonny ReVerb »

Was this the dude?

http://www.craigcaffall.com/
GitDiv

Post by GitDiv »

Thanks for your reply.

Nope, not the guy. I ran across him when I was chasing down links and leads. I think he was younger than this guy...no gray hair. :wink:

It's like finding a needle in a haystack. There's a gazillion blues players out there.

The guy I saw with Maria was head-and-shoulders above anybody I've heard play the blues. Robben Ford reminds me of him, but this guy was smoother and had a better sound. I'm amazed that he's stayed relatively unknown. Warren Haynes can't touch him.

Oh well, they'll probably rerun the video at some point, I hope.
Sonny ReVerb

Post by Sonny ReVerb »

One more try - how about Rob Bourassa?

http://www.truveo.com/Tele-Lesson-With- ... 3996533887

He smokes on Hot Rod Lincoln - one of my faves from the Commander...
KennyB

Killer Blues Player

Post by KennyB »

Dave,
The guitarist was Jon Woodhead. Without a doubt, a killer blues player!
I believe he played on some of Maria's Cd's and he was a member of the seventies band Ace ["How Long"]. The show was Chicago Blues Jam on BETJ. I would love to know what kind of amp he was using.
- Ken
Sonny ReVerb

Post by Sonny ReVerb »

He seems to have a pretty low web profile. Here's three CD's he's credited on. Was Keb' Mo' on the show, as well?

http://www.oldies.com/product-view/0810GD.html
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

Yes, Keb Mo was on that show. And BETJ repeat the show very often. It's definitely worth catching.
- Ken
GitDiv

Post by GitDiv »

Thanks guys.

I knew someone here would know.

I didn't catch the whole show, so I don't know who else was on there.

I'm surprised he was in known bands back in the 70's. He didn't look old enough to me. Must have taken care of himself pretty well, unlike myself.

Sometimes the music business can be rough on a soul....bars bein' what they are/were. I guess I'm not the only one from the 70's that didn't really "make it". I went on from blues to jazz to fusion. Sounds like this guy must have ventured in that area himself.

I really wish I knew what amp/setup he was using. He just flowed like butter, and his equipment certainly helped to contribute to that fact.
We're all chasing that elusive perfect sound....he seems to have found it.

-Dave
GitDiv

Post by GitDiv »

Hey Ken,

Do you know which spelling is correct? Jon or John?

I get more hits, especially concerning Maria Muldaur, with John. I'm currently downloading a Leon Russell video from YouTube that he is supposed to be on under the John spelling.

I did get a site from a singer named Mary Coppin that the Jon spelling pointed to. I haven't checked it out yet.

By the way, how are you familiar with him? Were you a fan of the Aces band?

Just curious.

-Dave
Sonny ReVerb

Post by Sonny ReVerb »

It seems he uses both spellings. He's listed as a member of Leon Russell's band for a show in May:

http://www.aladdin-theater.com/show_pag ... entid=1611

There's more of his CD work here:

http://music.msn.com/music/artist-credi ... ad/?ipp=10

I found out Comcast carries BETJ in my area. I recorded a segment of the Chicago Blues Jam this morning, but it was Lonnie Brooks. I'm a Blues guy, though, so I still enjoyed the show. Thanks for the heads up on the program.
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

I've seen it spelled both ways. I found out by googling his name that he played with Ace. It was in '76 after they moved to the US from England.

The Chicago Blues Jam is first time I ever heard him. If you only saw the end, you really need to see the entire show. He's got the thickest tone and great phrasing. You can never get a clear shot of his amp.
I'm sure that they will repeat it - they show the same four shows over and over.
GitDiv

Post by GitDiv »

Yeah, Great player. And that TONE.

The only other guy that impressed me that much was Mike Miller...from Chick Korea's Electric Band II. I think the album was called 'Paint The World'.

Another "low profile" KILLER.
The only time I caught him live was on BETJ, coincidentally, with Al Jereau, at some Island Festival.

He didn't really have a chance to rock out, though, like he can.

On the album, however, he had that same flow and thick sound.

Perhaps these two use the same amps, maybe. I wish I knew what they use.

Thanks for the heads up, Ken.

-Dave
Sonny ReVerb

Post by Sonny ReVerb »

Well, I contacted Jon Woodhead and asked him about the Chicago Blues Jam show with Maria Muldaur. I also included a link to this thread. He sent me a very gracious reply:
Jon Woodhead wrote:After reading the comments on the Amp Garage site I am more than humbled. Man, to read my name in the same sentences with Mike Miller, Amos Garrett, Robben Ford and Warren Haynes....I'm kinda stunned...

The gear I was using at that time might surprise you. I think I've only owned Fender amps. My first were a 60's Deluxe, a black faced Super Reverb and a 60's silver faced Super Reverb that I had forever but left at home after about '89. The amps I used on that tour and show with Maria Muldaur, were a Fender Super 210 as a preamp going out to the power amp "in" of a dismantled 100 watt "The Twin" amp with 2 stock 12's. Kinda creepy compared to the Trainwrecks and Dumbles, I think. Between those two amps was a rack with a multi- effects thing and tuner going into a mixer and out to the Twin.

I always loved and lived by the sound of the silver face Super but I didn't want to drag it out on the road, so I found that strange little Super 210. I could get pretty close to the overdriven sound of the Super and it had an overdrive channel I could goof with. I had it re-tubed and tuned up, but it was just stock out of the store. Also, with stage volume issues at some venues, I could use it without "The Twin" creature blasting.

Since around '99 I've used a Fender Pro Sonic with a Stamps Drive-O-Matic pedal and various other OD'S that work at the time. Pretty low rent and simple, but the tone is my favorite of all so far. The Pro Sonic has been the most dependable and best sounding newer amp I've had.

On the Maria DVD I know that the strongest link in the sound chain was that '65 335. I got that in '76 when I was playing with Ace. Sadly, the headstock broke off, maybe on that tour, and it continued to break around the repair a few times too many. I had to let it go.
The Super 210 he mentions was a red knob model.

Thanks again, Jon!
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

Thanks for the research Sonny and for the information Jon!

Very interesting - just shows that you don't necessarily need a Trainwreck or Dumble to get great tone.

Also, I love to see great guitarists that are humble, such as Jon Woodhead and Jimmy Herring!

- Kenny